Online Meetings - Reasons for people seeking online meetings

AA is a truly international fellowship of men and women, and e-AA is certainly no exception. Also check http://e-aa.org/links/ for links to AA resources worldwide.

Online Meetings - Reasons for people seeking online meetings

Postby Alexboat » Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:58 pm

Hi my names Alex and Im an alcoholic from the UK.

I have just recently started using online meetings because I am finding it difficult to get to regular face to face meetings. As a result of getting sober a number of years ago I have been able to start to pursue a career in the yachting world. This means that Im away from land and also meetings for potentially long periods of time. Have needed to sort other means in staying sober in my mind. Hence the reason for me seeking these online meetings.

I am just in intrigued as to other members circumstances that have brought them to the online rooms of AA. Also if anyone has any other advice for me and others in the same scenario's. Would love to here peoples stories and advice.

Thanks Alex
Alexboat
Forums Newcomer

Re: Online Meetings - Reasons for people seeking online meet

Postby Tommy-S » Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:22 pm

Welcome Alex,

e-AA also has e-mail Meetings, and Chat

For me, I sobered up on an aircraft carrier... And later was assigned to bases with No AA. One of the tools I found was the Loners-Internationalists Meeting (e-mail 'lim@aa.org').

The Loners-Internationalists Meeting (LIM) is a confidential bimonthly bulletin sent to Loners, Homers, Internationalists, and to Loner Sponsors and Port Contacts. The bulletin contains excerpts from LIM members’ letters, and includes full names and addresses.
http://www.aa.org/lang/en/en_pdfs/smf-123_en.pdf

Naturally, being a 'paper' meeting, one would need "Mail Call'... but if you get the subscription, many sharing in the bulletin
post addresses, as well as their e-mails. Also, one can find AA Port Contacts.

As others supported me when I could not get to, or had no Face to Face AA, I get a chance to do support others here... Paying back the debt.

Thanks,

Tommy
Together, we don't have to cave in or wimp out to that Fatal First One, no matter what today!
Tommy-S
Forums Old Timer

Postby avaneesh912 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:32 am

This means that Im away from land and also meetings for potentially long periods of time. Have needed to sort other means in staying sober in my mind. Hence the reason for me seeking these online meetings.

12 and 12 says many people who where deployed during World War II for extended period at the war-front and came out successful. History shows they worked the 12 steps and relied on their higher power. Let us know little bit more about your experience with the 12 steps. We will be able to help you stay connected with your higher power.

I come here to share my experience, strength and hope for new-comers just like I do at the f2f meetings. I have been away from f2f meetings and on-line access close to a month but the program was always with me which helped me stay connected with my higher power.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby leejosepho » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:08 am

Welcome to e-AA, Alex!

WHO USES ONLINE AA?
(an informational piece from Online Intergroup AA (OIAA))

Many AA members use the online medium to supplement their regular f2f meetings. Indeed, Online AA as a rule suggests strongly that newcomers attend regular AA meetings when possible. There are many, however, who cannot attend regular AA meetings:
· Those with a disability such as hearing loss, or mobility impairment
· Geographically-isolated members, or those living in a foreign country
· AA members in the military or merchant navy at sea

Older AA members, shift workers, or parents with young children who find it difficult to attend meetings outside the home or at particular hours of the day. There are those, too, who find the online AA medium provides a means of working their program when traditional meetings are not always available or accessible to them. For others, online AA provides a supplement to their face-to-face meetings. There are also friends who wish to broaden their understanding of AA by exchanging experience, strength and hope with different groups or nationalities.

In my own case, I happen to be a disabled long-timer finding it "difficult to attend meetings outside the home", and online A.A. now offers more opportunity for 12th-Step work than I have ever found anywhere else.
=======================
"We A.A.s do not *stay* away from drinking [one day at a
time] -- we *grow* away from drinking [one day at a time]."
("Lois Remembers", page 168, quoting Bill, emphasis added)
=======================
leejosepho
Forums Old Timer

Postby ann2 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:16 am

Hi! I got to online AA through the bit about living in a foreign country. I attended meetings where I lived but understood very little. That was okay, I found out, as just being with sober people involved in recovery gave me a boost. But I longed for more, and I found it online. Hurray!

I also am a mom with small kids (getting bigger now however) and my husband travels quite a bit, so my freedom is limited.

I think another bit needs to be added to the reasons listed above -- there are those of us who really understand things better in text. I did attend and still do of course AA meetings in person, but often the social bit distracts me from what I need to learn about living the program.

I also hope I win a prize for using the word "bit" as many times as I did in this post.

Welcome! Glad you found us.

Ann
"If I don't take twenty walks, Billy Beane send me to Mexico" -- Miguel Tejada
ann2
Forums Old Timer

Postby Sally » Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:02 pm

i went to a convention and ran into an old AA friend- she had a button
on that said **Online AA- Ask Me**-
i did- and she just gushed about online for 10 minutes-
a month later our oldest daughter came home from college and brought
me her computer- i asked her- Find me AA- took her 10 seconds-
that was May of 97- i have been here ever since and it's been a great addition
to my life- i love f2f- wouldn't give that up for the world - but the 24/7 access
i get here is worth it's weight in gold!!
met lots of online friends at the Internationals - great fun!
Sally
Sally
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Ida » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:05 pm

I live in a town of only about 900 people, and there are only about 8 people active in AA here. I love my home group, but I feel as though I am being judged. Online sites give me extra anonymity that is deeply needed.
Ida
Forums Enthusiast

Postby PommyMommy » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:52 pm

Though I do have the current schedule for AA in my town, I prefer to be online. I struggle with social anxiety and this greatly impacts my ability to attend face to face meetings. I think online is a wonderful way for people who suffer from similar problems, or for those unable to find face to face meetings, to meet and talk with others. I'm grateful I found this site, as it has given me an outlet and hope for my own recovery, even if I am unable to attend meetings locally.
PommyMommy
Forums Newcomer

Postby Brock » Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:13 am

Hi Alex.
We often have "yachties" at our meetings, visitors to the West Indies. They all speak of online meetings, and the fact that this has made their normadic lifestyle possible. You are not alone, enjoy both the excitement and tranquillity a yachting life can offer, together with the joy and serenity to be found in the twelve steps. I think this will be a wining combination for a happy life.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby PaigeB » Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:34 am

It has been a winning combination for me! In fact, I think it got me through a few rough times, where I might have made that trip to the store, at 1am - before cut off.... I have since come to know and love people from all around the world. As usual, AA gives back more than I ever expected.
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby deanpinsurreybc » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:52 pm

I Iive now near Manila - no meetings in my town! Miss them lots - used to go 3 times a week on average and lots of roundups! Sober now 17 years!
deanpinsurreybc
Forums Enthusiast

Postby PaigeB » Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:37 am

Welcome Dean! That is a lot of 24's!

Here at e-aa we have live chat meetings and a 24/7 chat lounge! You don't have to be alone! http://www.e-aa.org/chat.php

Keep coming here too! We'd love to hear about 17 years! And help ya fill in that gap of fellowship and ES&H you are used to!
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby ann2 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:32 am

Welcome Manila guy, great to have you here! I live in Sweden and have difficulty attending meetings on a regular basis, but I can log in here throughout the day, perform service, reach out to newcomers and enjoy the shares of others trudging along this path of miraculous sobriety.

e-AA offers, along with chat, these forums and several mailing lists, as well as a bunch of web pages of personal stories http://www.e-aa.org/group_stories.php, plus committees for answering 12th step request, doing service as a temporary sponsor, and if you're technically minded, a bunch of good little jobs to keep up the site.

Our group members conduct the business meeting via a mailing list, to which anyone considering themselves a group member is invited.

I find it extremely helpful being here and keeping AA at the top of my day's activities.

Let us know if you have any questions and thanks for posting,

Ann
"If I don't take twenty walks, Billy Beane send me to Mexico" -- Miguel Tejada
ann2
Forums Old Timer

Postby kenyal » Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:17 am

Ditto what Ann said. I stay in Europe sometimes for years and my language skills have been sharpened over time where they are sufficient to order coffee, but not much more. Online contact with AAs and newcomers is a huge gift.
kenyal
Forums Long Timer

Postby deanpinsurreybc » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:31 am

well thank you for very much for the kind hospitality! Just was in Las Vegas in November at their Roundup - was a great 4 days! I got all the speakers on 1 MP3 disk afterwards so that will keep my going plus my other downloaded speakers - not a days goes by I don't think about AA!

Also great that my Sister found AA in Feb 2011 so will be taking a 2 year cake on Feb 12 which I will fly home for! She has a 4 year old daughter and a brother (me) and mother and other sister that love her very much and are so grateful she came to AA! I am sure I'm not a perfect example of what AA can do but I was enough of one that she thought it was a good place to go when you can't drink any more!

I have booked Hawaii for Nov 2013 - airline and hotel booked from Manila and return! Can't wait!

It s the same as I was when back home - I knew what meeting I was going to ALWAYS - always had a plan! AA is the plan!

Sobered up Aug 12, 1995 - so think that's 17 years and 18 then this August?

Have been on the road 4 years with no group and no cake so hard to keep track! Can only say life keeps getting better!

If you ever listen to a Patrick W. download - he was from Portland, OR - I saw him live in BC once - great talker! He said that if AA if ever called him and said Patrick - we need all you got to keep this thing going he'd have to give it to him BECAUSE without AA he would of had nothing! That is my story too and I wold give it all if was needed! Love AA! And all those in it - not a better program in the world! Dean P.
deanpinsurreybc
Forums Enthusiast

Next

Return to Globe Trudgers