The Netherlands

AA is a truly international fellowship of men and women, and e-AA is certainly no exception. Also check http://e-aa.org/links/ for links to AA resources worldwide.

The Netherlands

Postby Maddy » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:09 am

Hi
Am new to this forum/website and can't say how delighted I am to have found it.

I have looked at The Netherlands AA Meetings pages and, frankly, the nearest one is 1.5 hours away

I have always been prepared to go to any lengths but now I have moved over here from the UK I have to be practical re. working hours, home-time, public-transport ( I have epilepsy so not allowed to drive until 2013) whilst putting my sobriety first.

I live in Noordwijk and am asking the question are there any members here or in Leiden (the nearest city) that whilst I know doesn't have meetings might be able to assist with transport?

Maybe a cheeky question but hey, if I don't ask for any help then I am not working my programme.

Any help/suggestions would be very much appreciated.

If anyone has perhaps thought about setting up a new meeting in, eg, Leiden, I would be delighted to become a mother group member. I miss my meetings terribly but I have to be honest with myself and be practical too. My daily readings and Thought for the Day i get by email are great, but.......

Hope to hear back from someone,

Best Wishes
Maddy
Forums Enthusiast

Re: The Netherlands

Postby leejosepho » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:39 am

Welcome to e-AA, Maddy, and many folks in situations like yours find good help and fellowship within e-AA Chat:

http://www.e-aa.org/chat.php

Hope to see you there (and maybe I already have and have forgotten?!)!
=======================
"We A.A.s do not *stay* away from drinking [one day at a
time] -- we *grow* away from drinking [one day at a time]."
("Lois Remembers", page 168, quoting Bill, emphasis added)
=======================
leejosepho
Forums Old Timer

Postby triumphantarch » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:15 am

I wonder if this might be helpful to you at all????

http://www.aa.org/lang/en/en_pdfs/smf-123_en.pdf

Best of luck to you.

C.
"In the end, everything's okay. If it's not okay, it's not the end."
triumphantarch
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Maddy » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:38 am

hey thanks for taking the time to reply with that - fab fab fab :D x
Maddy
Forums Enthusiast

Postby PaigeB » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:28 pm

Hey Maddy! Welcome to e-aa! I was looking and learning about the Netherlands while doing it! Leiden looks to be 45 mins from Amsterdam where lots of meetings are. Since I am not familiar with the area I am sending you a couple links for face to face meetings to your Private Message box that I found while looking around the web.

Also, you can check with http://aa-intergroup.org/ for email meetings, speaker meetings, phone meetings... a super variety of AA on the internet, which e-aa is a part of!

Here at e-aa we also have a 24/7 chat lounge and a women's meeting among others.
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby Tommy-S » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:53 pm

Hi Maddy,

I've done some traveling in sobriety, first on ship and then taking jobs in foreign countries. One tool I used was the LIM, sent out by mail from the New York General Service Office of AA.

The Loners-Internationalists Meeting (LIM) is a confidential bimonthly bulletin sent to Loners, Homers, Internationalists, and to Loner Sponsors and Port Contacts.

Loners are people who have no meetings around them, Internationalists are sea-going AA's. The LIM is a bi
-monthly meeting consolidated from people around the world in print.

You can check it out on the GSO's web site: http://www.aa.org under the "For Groups & Members" tab.

(I don't know if you'd have to add a 'US' to that link from outside the US (http://www.aa.org/us)

I found it a great tool, and have made some good AA friends through it.

Tommy
Together, we don't have to cave in or wimp out to that Fatal First One, no matter what today!
Tommy-S
Forums Old Timer

Postby Tosh » Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:18 pm

PaigeB wrote: Leiden looks to be 45 mins from Amsterdam where lots of meetings are.

I can imagine that Amsterdam would have a lot of A.A. meetings. I used to travel there from Germany to go drinking! :mrgreen:

Welcome to the forum, Maddy.
Come, come, whoever you are. Wanderer, worshiper, lover of leaving. It doesn't matter. Ours is not a caravan of despair. Come, even if you have broken your vows a thousand times. Come, yet again, come, come.” Rumi (No sniggering from the sex addicts)
Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Postby Maddy » Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:03 am

Amsterdam is chocka-full of meetings but 1.5 hrs on a bus then a sprinter train. i went to the 'Dam in 2006 although all i remember is the airport bar on the way there and landing back home 9 days later. rest of it even less than a blur :?
Maddy
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Maddy » Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:04 am

Tommy_S wrote:Hi Maddy,

I've done some traveling in sobriety, first on ship and then taking jobs in foreign countries. One tool I used was the LIM, sent out by mail from the New York General Service Office of AA.

The Loners-Internationalists Meeting (LIM) is a confidential bimonthly bulletin sent to Loners, Homers, Internationalists, and to Loner Sponsors and Port Contacts.

Loners are people who have no meetings around them, Internationalists are sea-going AA's. The LIM is a bi
-monthly meeting consolidated from people around the world in print.

You can check it out on the GSO's web site: http://www.aa.org under the "For Groups & Members" tab.

(I don't know if you'd have to add a 'US' to that link from outside the US (http://www.aa.org/us)

I found it a great tool, and have made some good AA friends through it.

Tommy

Thank you Tommy. :) :) :)
Maddy
Forums Enthusiast

Postby PaigeB » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:06 am

Maddy wrote:Amsterdam is chocka-full of meetings but 1.5 hrs on a bus then a sprinter train. i went to the 'Dam in 2006 although all i remember is the airport bar on the way there and landing back home 9 days later. rest of it even less than a blur :?

Sounds like something Bill W. would do! You are in good company Maddy! :wink:
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby Tommy-S » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:31 am

I had a 14 hours lay over in Amsterdam a few years back during one of my return trips to the Sand Box (Iraq) and decided to check out some 'friends I hadn't met' in AA there.

There was some confusion, as I found the street, but the house number was 281 1/2 Nieuwezijds Voorburgwal (?). The 'half' threw me, as I thought that would be inside 281's address, but 281 turned out to be a Beauty Saloon.

Well, after crossing the street and wandering the neighborhood for a while, asking people I ran into who were as lost as I was :), I returned down the street from the opposite direction and found 281 1/2. Apparentlly, they wedge another house between 281 & 283, and rather than renumber the entire street, just slapped a 'one half' on it. LOL

It was worth the adventure, as the meeting was full of ex-drunks like me trying to pass it on, and having a good time doing so :)
Together, we don't have to cave in or wimp out to that Fatal First One, no matter what today!
Tommy-S
Forums Old Timer

Postby ann2 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:00 am

Hi Maddy! Welcome! I'm Ann, alcoholic and e-AA member. I'm an American in Sweden, moved here in 2000 and have also lived since then in Finland and Estonia. I know it's tough but I'd like to share my experience, strength and hope in that online meetings can be very helpful!

When I got sick of everyone in chat talking about their f2f meetings, someone hooked me up with LIM (mentioned above) and it was wonderful to be in touch with people in the same boat as me.

Meetings, fellowship, sober laughs, 12th step responses, service, sponsorship -- all of this can happen online, in fact it's happened more for me online than otherwise, not only owing to language and location but also to motherhood. I can log in and "meet up" with all of you whenever, and I can also have that oh-so-valuable contact with newcomers.

I value my f2f meetings very very much -- it's wonderful to be in a roomful of fellow AA members, even when I have trouble understanding a particular dialect of Swedish. But being online can be awesome as well, sharing the solution with people all over the world -- wow!

So glad you're here --

Ann
"If I don't take twenty walks, Billy Beane send me to Mexico" -- Miguel Tejada
ann2
Forums Old Timer

Postby Maddy » Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:16 am

I just wanted to say a thank you for making me so welcome on these/this forum.

I guess people know about the Today's Gift daily email, but if not, it's TodaysGift at Hazelden.info
i love it.

not sure how to post a link to subscribe so here is a copy & paste from today;s email.

Today's thought from Hazelden is:

Imagine living in your head, untrue to your heart.
Imagine the pain of separation.
Imagine the depth of the longing for peace.
--G. Carol

Before finding recovery as a way of life, many of us barely hung on from one pain-filled moment to another. We incessantly tried to figure out what was wrong with our lives. We feared everything: our coworkers, our neighbors, the long days, the new experiences, the many strangers who crossed our paths. Miraculously, we were led to this program.

We can experience the joy of peace each time we remember to turn our will and lives over to the care of our loving God. To receive this goodness, we need only an open heart and a willingness to listen for the guidance of God. This guidance may come to us through a special passage in a book, the words of a friend, or in other ways. If we believe that the guidance will come, we will hear it.

I want to know God's will for me today. I will be attentive every moment.
You are reading from the book:

A Woman's Spirit by Karen Casey
A Woman's Spirit by Karen Casey. © 1994 by Hazelden Foundation. All rights reserved. Printed in the United States of America. No portion of this publication may be reproduced in any manner without the permission of Hazelden.
Maddy
Forums Enthusiast

Postby lifeline » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:03 am

This post is already older but there are meetings in the area mentioned (not all in English of course). The Netherlands are so small, it doesn't take more than 1,5 hours anyways to drive through the whole country.
lifeline
Forums Enthusiast

Return to Globe Trudgers