Congo Basin?

AA is a truly international fellowship of men and women, and e-AA is certainly no exception. Also check http://e-aa.org/links/ for links to AA resources worldwide.
cfarr
Forums Newcomer

Congo Basin?

Post by cfarr »

Hi all!

Looking at a work opportunity that would have me in Gabon/DRC on and off for a couple years. I'm guessing I'll be doing the Grapevine thing while I'm in the rural areas (like on my deployments), but it seems like there should be meetings in Libreville or Kinshasa. I haven't had much luck finding any information online, though. Has anyone found meetings in those areas (or anywhere in Gabon/DRC)? Thanks!
1Peter5:10
Forums Contributor

Re: Congo Basin?

Post by 1Peter5:10 »

LOL
No I have not heard of any meetings in that area.

What I do know is that many people (engineers, salespeople, flight attendants with changing routes etc) who travel to far away places often have questions like yours.
Ever since the COVID shutdowns many meetings have gone to a real-time online format and they seem to find online meetings with ease.
My own home group still meets in person AND has people partcipate online.

If you can get a high speed internet access meetings are easy, although *some* people find the meetings more "real" if they have already know the participants face-to-face.

I wish you well.
cfarr
Forums Newcomer

Post by cfarr »

Thanks.

I'm hoping to find a way for human interaction again. My area has some of the stricter lockdown laws, and with resources for outside issues shut down indefinitely, it's been a struggle to be okay. The only places open in my area are mostly PTSD triggers for me... Just hoping to find somewhere with AA and a way to fellowship over dinner or having someone over to my home or go kayaking together...
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Post by PaigeB »

cfarr wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:54 am Thanks.

I'm hoping to find a way for human interaction again. My area has some of the stricter lockdown laws, and with resources for outside issues shut down indefinitely, it's been a struggle to be okay. The only places open in my area are mostly PTSD triggers for me... Just hoping to find somewhere with AA and a way to fellowship over dinner or having someone over to my home or go kayaking together...
I am with you cfarr! And Hope is on the way soon in the USA. But in the meantime we CAN get together for short periods of time - outside and in masks. No handshakes or hugs. You may have a stricter set of rules - but those stricter rules WILL bring quicker results in the end.

Please hold on. You are NEVER alone in Spirit. Hit a few of the online or local Zoom meetings.

Think of our AA founders. There were NO meetings when they started and there was NO Big Book. They traveled many miles and had very few weekly meetings. Many homes did not even have phones and a payphone cost cash money. THEY had it hard! We are lucky because you are here - you reached out on the the HUGE WWW and found you are with us here. You can get some AA history books like AA Comes of Age here: https://www.aa.org/assets/en_US/aa-lite ... mes-of-age
https://www.aa.org/pages/en_US/aa-literature

Keep going. In the end you will have great stories to tell the alcoholic who comes in in 2021!
Cling to the thought that, in God's hands, the dark past is the greatest possession you have - the key to life and happiness for others. With it you can avert death and misery for them. page 124 BB
Molgzonor
Forums Enthusiast

Post by Molgzonor »

cfarr, If you're still around here, how'd it work out for you? Many of us never ceased face-to-face meetings here in the States, but attendance went down quite a bit. I've searched meetings in far flung places out of sheer interest, and often find simple websites with contact info for 1-2 people, and more often links to social media (facebook, etc.).