Tradition Study?

Want different titles on these forums? Got some other good ideas? Talk about them here.

Tradition Study?

Postby Oliver » Tue Jul 04, 2006 11:32 am

I've enjoyed reading the record of the twelve step study that took place in the steps forum. How about a twelve tradition study, or a repeat of the twelve steps :)

Feel free to shout - it might be a stupid idea.

Oliver from England
Oliver
"In exchange for bottle and hangover, I have been given the keys to the kingdom."
Oliver
Forums Old Timer

Re: Tradition Study?

Postby Oliver » Tue Jul 04, 2006 11:42 am

Oh I should also say that what has prompted me to suggest this was the very helpful discussion of anonymity in the Unity Forum.

Oliver from England
Oliver
"In exchange for bottle and hangover, I have been given the keys to the kingdom."
Oliver
Forums Old Timer

Postby keithd » Tue Jul 04, 2006 7:45 pm

I'd like to see the traditions posted too. thanks Oliver
keithd
Forums Contributor

Postby stephbridget » Tue Jul 04, 2006 11:25 pm

I think it is a good suggestion as traditions are not much discussed here. Thanks Oliver.
Focus on the Now...
stephbridget
Forums Old Timer

Postby GregP » Fri Jul 07, 2006 12:33 pm

Great idea. It would be nice also to have a 'things you wanted to know but were afraid to ask' section - that would be useful for newcomers, too. Places like The Priory Hospital here in Chelmsford give a lot of advice and encouragement on the recovery and fellowship angle of AA, but they don't equip the average newcomer to cope with sentences like "blah, blah GSR blah HOMEGROUP blah blah STEP WEEKEND blah BOOK STUDY blah".

Greg from England
"Keep coming back, it works if you work it, so work it - you're worth it."
GregP
Forums Newcomer

Postby SteveC » Fri Jul 28, 2006 3:59 am

Hi Greg!

Sorry to take so long getting back to this.

The Newcomer Forum would be a great place to bring up questions like this. That's what it's there for. Please feel free to ask away!

Hugs!

Steve
Steven M. Clapper
Great Falls, Montana, USA

Serenity is not absence of the storm,
But peace within the storm.
SteveC
Forums Contributor

Traditions

Postby Magnolia » Sat May 23, 2009 2:02 pm

Hi

I'm very new to the AA on line and just over 9 months off the booze (I don't like saying 'sober' as I don't feel very well emotionally and I keep hearing that emotional sobriety is what I'm supposed to be working towards!).

Anyway, the idea of discussing the traditions sounds great to me. I'm a Brit sobering up in another country and although the meetings are great we don't really look at the Traditions nor read them at the beginning of meetings....
Magnolia
Forums Newcomer

Postby Oliver » Sat May 23, 2009 2:11 pm

Magnolia - welcome to the forums!! :) Glad to have you with us and look forward to hearing more from you.

Feel free to start any topic you want to share on and to share your experience strength and hope with us.

In recovery
~Oliver
Oliver
Oliver
Forums Old Timer

Postby ann2 » Sun May 24, 2009 7:31 am

Welcome, Magnolia, and congratulations on 9 months!! Emotional sobriety is certainly something we *aim* for, some of us get there but it's very rarely a permanent visit :-) But at least we get used to finding our way back again.

One thing about online AA has been its assistance in helping me understand the applications of the Traditions to my life, my sobriety, and my service. Actually, it was in service to the group that I started using the Traditions to solve questions in my mind. I encourage you to get involved in service, and also as Oliver suggested, start your topic at any time.

We have lots of smart people with helpful experience here, and lots of people willing to share with honesty and hope.

Ann
"If I don't take twenty walks, Billy Beane send me to Mexico" -- Miguel Tejada
ann2
Forums Old Timer

emotional sobriety

Postby KB » Sun Jul 12, 2009 4:09 pm

Welcome, Magnolia, and congratulations on 9 months I know what you mean about emotional sobriety, I am still working on that. I find if you keep doing what you used to do and keep thinking what you used to think nothing changes accepts your not drinking. I want more but I am the only one that can make that happen. I have to learn to keep the bagge in check at all times.

KB
KB
Forums Enthusiast

Postby harrybro » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:04 pm

One thing about online AA has been its assistance in helping me understand the applications of the Traditions to my life, my sobriety, and my service. Actually, it was in service to the group that I started using the Traditions to solve questions in my mind. I encourage you to get involved in service, and also as Oliver suggested, start your topic at any time.
harrybro

Postby leejosepho » Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:56 am

Welcome to e-AA, Harrybro!

I once heard someone say our Traditions had helped him after his sponsor had asked whether he had any plans for becoming "self-supporting through his own voluntary contributions" in life!

Glad to have you here.
=======================
"We A.A.s do not *stay* away from drinking [one day at a
time] -- we *grow* away from drinking [one day at a time]."
("Lois Remembers", page 168, quoting Bill, emphasis added)
=======================
leejosepho
Forums Old Timer

Postby PaigeB » Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:51 pm

I look forward to do them like we are doing the Big Book study! I don't know that we need to do a word for word from the 12&12, but i would enjoy hearing how others relate to them, one by one.
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby mayup » Wed May 30, 2012 12:29 am

Hey,it's not a stupid idea,it's better than no any thought........
mayup
Forums Newcomer

Next

Return to Suggestions