How about a new "Open" forum?

Want different titles on these forums? Got some other good ideas? Talk about them here.

How about a new "Open" forum?

Postby Clark » Mon May 24, 2004 3:44 pm

Do you think it would provoke more interest in the Discussion Forums if we had an "Open Forum".

A place where anything goes.
Unrestricted.
Including non-AA related matters.

Where members could talk about anything. Including their dogs and cats and personal stuff. Something similar to "Tuesday Trudge".

Just a thought.

(posted previously in "If it Doesn't Fit Anywhere Else" forum.)
Clark E.
"The best is yet to come."
Clark
Forums Long Timer

Re: How about a new "Open" forum?

Postby Clark » Mon May 24, 2004 8:12 pm

Originally posted by vikingjunior25:
I think there is a new site www.onlinealanoclub.org a good place for open discussions cats, dogs, where it might be that sort of thing if your looking for something like that.

Vikingjunior
Clark E.
Clark
Forums Long Timer

Postby Clark » Mon May 24, 2004 8:17 pm

[QUOTE]Originally posted by vikingjunior25:
[QB] I think there is a new site www.onlinealanoclub.org a good place for open discussions cats, dogs, where it might be that sort of thing if your looking for something like that.

It isn't a matter of me "looking for" anything.

It is just a suggestion that could increase interest in the Discussion Forums.
Clark E.
Clark
Forums Long Timer

Postby Clark » Tue May 25, 2004 9:31 am

Here is an example of what could be posted on an Open Forum:-

Thoughts

1. Faith is the ability to not panic.

2. If you worry, you didn't pray. If you pray, don't worry.

3. As a child of God, prayer is kind of like calling home every day.

4. Blessed are the flexible, for they shall not be bent out of shape.

5. When we get tangled up in our problems, be still. God wants us to be still so God can untangle the knot.

6. Do the math. Count your blessings.

7. God wants spiritual fruit, not religious nuts.

8. Dear God: I have a problem. It's me.

9. Silence is often misinterpreted, but never misquoted.

10. Laugh every day, it's like inner jogging.

11. The most important things in your home are the people.

12. Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional.

13. There is no key to happiness. The door is always open.

14. A grudge is a heavy thing to carry.

15. He who dies with the most toys is still dead.

16. We do not remember days, but moments. Life moves too fast, so enjoy your precious moments.

17. Nothing is real to you until you experience it, otherwise it's just hearsay.

18. It's all right to sit on your pity pot every now and again. Just be sure to flush when you are done.

19. Surviving and living your life successfully requires courage. The goals and dreams you're seeking require courage and risk- taking. Learn from the turtle -- it only makes progress when it sticks out its neck.

20. Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.
Clark E.
Clark
Forums Long Timer

Postby beginningagain7 » Tue May 25, 2004 9:47 am

Clark those are good examples that you gave.

But they also can be used in "If It Doesn't Fit Anywhere Else" forum.

So I do not see a need for an open forum, since it is my understanding that what the forum I moderate is for. Open discussion that isn't related to the other forums that we have here.

So why don't you look or discuss changing the name of "If It Doesn't Fit Anywhere Else" to "Open Forum."

Another approach.

Have a good day,
Beginningagain4
John T.
beginningagain7
Forums Contributor

Postby Clark » Tue May 25, 2004 8:08 pm

Sure, we could change the name from "If It Doesn't Fit Anywhere Else" to "Open Forum".

The forum description should be revised to show that it is all-inclusive; that non-AA related topics are acceptable.

<small>[ 05-26-2004, 10:49 AM: Message edited by: Clark ]</small>
Clark E.
Clark
Forums Long Timer

Postby Leonard(o), Puerto Rico » Wed May 26, 2004 7:52 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm HAPPY to report we have a huge number of "fans/lurkers/readers" who come to our e-AA Forum Homepage venue everyday/everynight... HOWEVER, most of them don't "post" a word!

:D :D :D Quiet ones they are :D :D :D

It appears we serve as a powerful source of general AA information while sharing our individual and collective ESH (experience, strength and hope) on the subject of Alcoholism and our various RECOVERIES from it!

We have thousands of visitors every month (we publish our monthly Forum page number of "hits" in the e-AA Newsletter under "web traffic report").

The "service work/reaching out/carrying the message" aspect of our 12 Step efforts here at he e-AA Forum are clearly/mostly of the "anonymous" variety.

"True leadership, we find, depends upon able example and not upon vain displays of power or glory," is one of the things our "Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions" book tells us on Step Twelve, page #124...I always like hearing that as it helps me keep my eye on the AA ball :D

<small>[ 05-28-2004, 11:46 AM: Message edited by: Leonard(o), Puerto Rico ]</small>
Unfortunately, logic and reason have no impact on prejudice, bigotry, fear, and hate.
Leonard(o), Puerto Rico
Forums Contributor

Postby beginningagain7 » Thu May 27, 2004 10:17 am

I think a "Keys to Good Living" FORUM would be an excellent new FORUM or maybe a "Keys to Understanding and Right Action," might be helpful too. What do you people think?

What I think is that we don't need anymore forums here right now. The ones that we do have are not being used on a constant bases, for one reason or another. I am trying to remember how many we had when I first came here and I do not believe that it was as much as we have now. And I came here in 2001 I think.

Instead of thinking maybe if we added this it would increase activity. Maybe we should look at what we do have and see where the true interest is. Keep things simple. Sometimes people really do not know where to post something, which I believe I have read in some post. They were not too sure where to put their message or question.

We begin with "Start Here" and end with "But We Aren't A Glum Lot." 16 in total. Now is that too many? I don't know.

With all these forums we offer have we made thing complicated for people with too many?

Example: Clark is talking about an "open forum" which isn't a bad idea. But my thinking is that is somewhat "If It Doesn't Fit Anywhere Else," is in some form an open forum. So I would have no objections to changing the name. And that way we wouldn't have to add another forum. And maybe the answer would be to change titles to the forum we have now. Looking at the contents of the Big Book I see: There Is A Solution, More About Alcoholism, We Agnostics, How It Works, Into Action, Working With Others, To Wives, The Family Afterward, A Vision For You. Another example: We could rename "The 12 Steps" to "How It Works," since that is the chapter the steps are located in.

Well I said that thinking was bad for my health. I like to keep things simple.

Have a good day,
Beginningagain4
John T.
beginningagain7
Forums Contributor

Return to Suggestions