Help for the Slippers

Want different titles on these forums? Got some other good ideas? Talk about them here.

Help for the Slippers

Postby Tiger » Thu Dec 05, 2002 8:13 pm

Should have a group devoted to helping people who are having trouble staying sober.<P>The slippers who so many don't understand
Tiger
Forums Newcomer

Re: Help for the Slippers

Postby Dean C » Fri Dec 06, 2002 12:51 pm

Tiger! Welcome to the forums!<P>This entire discussion forum is primarily for the still suffering alcoholic, whether new to AA or a returning member.<P>Feel free to post any questions in the Recovery categories. There are many great people ready to help.<P>You might also check out our chat rooms and truly wonderful email meeting -- New Beginning.<P>Glad to have you here!
"Whatever can be said can be said clearly."
-- Ludwig Wittgenstein
Dean C
Forums Long Timer

Postby Susan » Tue Dec 10, 2002 10:01 pm

Hi ! And welcome to the forums ! :p <P>Keep Coming Back !
Happy Trails ~

Susan
Susan
Forums Contributor

Postby Dov » Sat Jun 14, 2003 7:40 am

Just to pass this suggestion around as much as possible.

I was a long time drunk. Every day I couldn't get too much to drink. I however think I've finally found my weak point. The thing that kept bringing me back to it time and time again.

Sugar and Caffiene

I've given up both substances and now I of course still have cravings for alcohol a little, but nothing compared to where I was before. I don't sit up twitching until I talk myself into driving to the gas station or the liquor store anymore.

It's now been 5 days and I've been sober the whole time. This is the longest I've went without a drink in 6 years. And I have no intentions on ever drinking again.

Just stear clear of sugar and caffiene all those who are slipping. Give it a week. Sure, you'll feel dopy for the first week without caffiene, but it will pass fast.

Give it a try, it worked for me :)
Sobriety is brighter and more fullfilling than living in the shadows of alchoholism.. Stay sober.
Dov
Forums Newcomer

Postby Cindy Lou » Sat Jun 14, 2003 8:33 am

Dov,

I could not agree more! Sugar & caffeine have most certainly been significant and very powerful triggers for me also.

While some in AA enjoy such indulgences (that is where I became a caffeine addict), for others of us it can prove to be catastrophic.

With that said, I do not undulge in chocolate nearly as much as my coffee w/cream & sugar and other "sweets." I must admit, chocolate truly does help me -- when LIMITING my intake to just 2-3 pieces.

I stopped drinking, and then these other "addictions" wreaked havoc on me physically, then emotionally -- as you speak of. It can be very devastating for many of us that are EXTREMELY "chemical sensitive" physically and overall, should we not consume in moderation. Personally, my body and my emotions have a reaction to everything I ingest. Moderation, it works for me. However, with the caffeine/sugar, I've also had to abstain.

I am relieved to find someone else that can relate! Thank you for sharing.

Cindy
Cindy Lou
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Dov » Sat Jun 14, 2003 10:35 am

Thanks Cindy,
I know exactly what you're saying too. When I attended my first AA meeting there were a lot of men and women who said they found pleasure in chocolates and sweets of such. Because they normally never ate them. I think (and correct me if I'm wrong) that is mostly to due with bourbon and beer drinkers. Mainly because the sweets were found in their favorite drink.

Me however was a die hard vodka drinker. It would completely dehydrate me to the point of having to have that tall glass of extra suger koolaid to relieve me the next morning.

Then I'd down the suger all day, along with my normal 5 cups of coffee to kill the hangover to deal with work, and by the time I got home from work, I was so pumped up with sugar and coffee, and restless, the only way I knew how to come down, was to get wasted.

So because of that, for the past 3 years, I've drank a fifth of vodka every night. I might have missed maybe, and a big MAYBE 10 times out of that 3 years that I didn't have a whole bottle, but always a little.

So yes Cindy, for some the sweets I'm sure are very helpfull. But for me, I'm just glad I finally figured a way to beat the disease.

I will be telling this to a whole group of people this Wednesday at my next meeting.

Peace,
Dov
Sobriety is brighter and more fullfilling than living in the shadows of alchoholism.. Stay sober.
Dov
Forums Newcomer

Return to Suggestions