Request for Two New Topics/Forum Sections

Want different titles on these forums? Got some other good ideas? Talk about them here.

Re: Request for Two New Topics/Forum Sections

Postby Leonard(o), Puerto Rico » Wed Aug 07, 2002 7:50 am

Good Morning, I wonder if prayer can be discussed from part of ones own experience, strength and hope...for instance, I always speak about the "spirtual experience" I had that resulted in my addiction being "lifted" ...I was ready for suicide and DRUNK... praying DRUNK...this is part of my true story...I've not had a drink since. Would that be a way to go instead of imposing specific prayers or traditional religious prayers and petitions? SPEAKING in the FIRST PERSON about my relationships with my own higher power, and what that means to ME!<P>I would really find it valuable to know about other peoples "Spirtual Experiences."<P>I always gain/grow the most when I hear about what YOU DO OR DID!<P>Thank you, I vote FOR a "spirtual topic section." I am not embarressed to speak about GOD nor do I look away from it.<P>Leonard(o)<P> :)
Unfortunately, logic and reason have no impact on prejudice, bigotry, fear, and hate.
Leonard(o), Puerto Rico
Forums Contributor

Postby Dean C » Wed Aug 07, 2002 9:55 am

So, perhaps a category called "Came to Believe"? It might be helpful to those who have preconceived notions about AA's being a "religious" rather than spiritual program. I know I thought that ... until alcohol nearly killed me and I was willing to do whatever it took to not drink any more.<P>My sponsors have been practicing Episcopalian, Buddist, and Hindu. There was an agnostic in there too. The fellow I consider my spiritual and service mentor (because I never did ask him to actually be a "sponsor") is Jewish. In the beginning, I used Taoism (a philosophy) to get me through. I still don't have a religion, nearly 15 years into this. And I know quite a few people who have many years sober and who state they are athiests. There's even a group of them just up the road. And, make no mistake, they are happy, joyous, and free too.<P>So such a thing could be quite helpful to many. Might be hard to pull off, though. Might be a lot of hurt feelings when someone "crossed" some line and the thing turned into a religious discussion and the moderator stepped in and edited or deleted.<P>What do you all think?
"Whatever can be said can be said clearly."
-- Ludwig Wittgenstein
Dean C
Forums Long Timer

Postby Leonard(o), Puerto Rico » Thu Aug 08, 2002 9:26 am

"Came To Believe".....sounds ballpark...or anything about PERSONAL "hands on, first person" experience on the topic of: Being restored to SANITY by a Power Greater Than Myself...or ????? How would I know? I only know about my own Spirtual Experience....I would like to know about other peoples...wouldn't you?<P>Thanks
Unfortunately, logic and reason have no impact on prejudice, bigotry, fear, and hate.
Leonard(o), Puerto Rico
Forums Contributor

Postby Susan » Thu Aug 08, 2002 12:49 pm

I like that ! "Came to believe" :p<P>Happy Trails !
Happy Trails ~

Susan
Susan
Forums Contributor

Postby Blue Moon » Fri Aug 09, 2002 10:13 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dean C:<BR><STRONG><BR>So such a thing could be quite helpful to many. Might be hard to pull off, though. Might be a lot of hurt feelings when someone "crossed" some line and the thing turned into a religious discussion and the moderator stepped in and edited or deleted.<BR></STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>This gets to the crux of the issue...where is that line? Where does "spiritual" become "religious"? And who makes that decision?<P>In my opinion, spiritual is something personal to me and can only be reflected by my actions. It would become religious when I try to push it onto anyone else through my words. I'd be promoting something, rather than offering attraction to spiritual notions through my own actions and example.<P>I can certainly share my own experiences without it being religious. But when it comes to this "spiritual" business I would need to word it carefully.<P>"Came to believe" seems an interesting topic. I wonder, isn't this already effectively covered under the 12 Step forum? After all, for most of us a series of actions are necessary before we can really come to believe IN anything.<P>As our primary purpose is to stay sober and help others recover, I'm wondering how discussing things in AA like gratitude and spirituality are intended to help those who don't have them.<P>I've said similar things before in AA meetings about "gratitude"... those who have it don't really need to hear too much about it, whilst those who don't have it can be made to feel pushed out by those who continually declare how wonderful it is.
Ian S
AKA Blue Moon
Blue Moon
Site Admin

Postby Leonard(o), Puerto Rico » Sat Aug 10, 2002 7:41 am

When I read in the Big Book about "The Promises," I kept imagining what I thought they would be like...I certainly wanted them. I was/am willing to work toward them by attending meetings,working the steps and doing service work. I also like it when you tell me about being "happy, joyous and free" from your OWN experience. Some of those experiences are Spiritual and some are not. I really like the the part in The Promises about "fear of people will leave me." No matter how BRAVE alcohol made me around people (especially in intimate situations), I actually felt grossly INFERIOR and LESS THAN DESIREABLE...I wanted to feel "normal" and not twisted up emotionally! I was so stimulated into action and more action because of these potential new ways of being that YOU told me about. YOUR GRATITUDE was/is a powerful attraction for me in SOBRIETY! I am not put off or jealous because I didn't/don't have what you have...YET...I realize my recovery is a process! I want what YOU HAVE in the "happy, joyeous and free" departments! I may go to any lengths to GET IT!<P>I still want many things that MANY OF YOU HAVE! I keep watching/listening/reading/asking you about those "things". My hope is to keep using every possible tool the AA program offers.<P>Sharing your TRUE experiences before AA, and sharing your personal PROGRESS along the healing/recovering way, ALWAYS gives me hope and the HELP I need for my personal direction. Telling the TRUTH (good and bad) delivers thousands of POSSIBILITIES I've not considered before....REAL experience, strength and HOPE! I'm building a better SOBER REALITY with your help....thanks, this is a huge thing in my life!
Leonard(o), Puerto Rico
Forums Contributor

Postby curtis s » Sun Aug 11, 2002 8:17 pm

The subjects under came to believe are cerrainly a source of questions to many newcomers, so this might be a good topic. I agree with whats been said about keeping it on our own experience, although witnessing can turn into proselytizing pretty easily. On the other hand sometimes guidance as to what the Higher Power is can be appropriate. I am thinking of folks who come in and decide a dead rock musician is their H.P. Since I am in fact somewhat judgemental and closeminded I tend to keep my mouth shut on these issues, but if I let myself I could go a real tear. It would be real important to remember our primary purpose which is to carry the message to the alcoholic who still suffers, and not turn into a bunch of preachers.
"What a long strange trip it's been."
curtis s
Forums Long Timer

Postby lardy » Wed Aug 14, 2002 3:06 pm

Although I, personally, have no problem with the prayer page, I have to wonder where it could lead.<BR> Those who use these forums are from a variety of religious faiths and backgrounds. Many, like myself, are either agnostic or perhaps even atheist.<BR> My concern is that the format, or method of praying may lend itself to a particular denomination, or belief. I am of the opinion that this could be accomplished in a number of ways that run a lower risk of offending, or alienating other users.<BR> I have looked at the traditions and found nothing that specifically rules this idea out. I suppose the sixth tradition could be interpreted to apply in this case.<BR> In any case, I feel that by doing so we would run a risk. With so many other options for prayer available, I can't help but wonder if it would be worth the risk.<BR> Just another opinion.
lardy
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Barry » Mon Aug 19, 2002 10:43 pm

Hmmm... I like how the Forums page is set up now... and it doesn't seem to me like there's much more room for other topics. But, like any good AA, I'm always open to discussion and... yeah! I love the group conscience process too! The e-AA Group does do a good job of that, and it's cool to see someone noticed.<P>I like the enthusiasm, but I also kind of feel that praying for others falls a bit outside of what I've learned in AA. Not that we don't, or I haven't on occasion.<P>What I remember about prayer, or what the Big Book says about it anyway... is that we're careful now not to pray for selfish goals... or something like that--instead to pray for God's will.<P>I'd have to vote "no" for just about any new topics to be added to the Forums page... but a "yes" for more suggestions to make e-AA better and better.<P>This thing keeps growing and getting better all the time... mostly because we have more and more good AAs showing up all the time!<P>Cindy, come and join us Wednesday nights for our weekly chat meeting if you can! 6 p.m. PST. We've been going for well over a year now... with a pretty solid core of participants who show up regularly. Because I live in China, where it's pretty difficult most of the time to get to meetings, online AA and The e-AA Group and the Wednesday night chat meeting ("The Sober World Meeting") have been real life-savers!<P>Come trudge with us if you can, Cindy... and it's nice to have you here with us at The e-AA Group!<P>_-_ Barry C.<P>a.k.a. "Trudger"
Barry
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Barry » Tue Sep 03, 2002 2:01 pm

[QUOTE]Originally posted by robinr:<BR>[QB]Hi everyone!<BR>I am new here and to the internet. And I am enjoying this sight alot. Thankyou. <BR>If my thoughts here don't follow guidelines, forgive my ignorance.<P>Welcome Robin...<P>And hey... we're all just here to trudge the Happy Road of Destiny together.<P>It's the ole "I can't; we can!"<P>I like that a lot. AA, unlike anywhere else, has given me a place where I can feel pretty comfortable most of the time--comfortable to offer opinions and my own two cents, and even being wrong. The group conscience idea we have going is a thing of beauty, and one we've tried to follow here at e-AA.<P>I'm not sure where this discussion is right now on the Prayer List, or Spirituality topic area. I like the "Came to believe..." idea.<P>Of course, the question is: Is there space to put it up? I just don't see a spot, and maybe... like Blue Moon said--there's already enough places to share that kind of stuff and our spiritual awakenings through the 12 Steps.<P>Came.<P>Came to.<P>Came to believe.<P>Aye! :eek: I like that!<P>Just wanted to welcome you, Robin... welcome you to The e-AA Group!<P>Yours in the fellowship,<P>_-_ Barry C.
Barry
Forums Enthusiast

Previous

Return to Suggestions