Request for Two New Topics/Forum Sections

Want different titles on these forums? Got some other good ideas? Talk about them here.

Re: Request for Two New Topics/Forum Sections

Postby Dean C » Fri Jun 14, 2002 3:07 pm

Thanks for your suggestion, Cindy. We'll give it a week or two and see what everyone's got to say.<P>I do have one question and one thought:<P>1. Could you provide an example of a prayer request so we're all clear what the category might look like?<P>2. The poems/inspirational/bumper sticker idea is intriguing, especially since many AAs love all that. The first thing that came to my mind is copyright difficulties. I'm not sure how we'd ensure that people were appropriately citing sources or obtaining approval to post things.
"Whatever can be said can be said clearly."
-- Ludwig Wittgenstein
Dean C
Forums Long Timer

Postby Dean C » Sat Jun 15, 2002 12:22 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Cindy:<BR><STRONG>... 2. The poems/inspirational/bumper sticker idea ...<P>These contributions would be purely member participation and nothing more.<P>... we could make the first post state that. (Something to this affect: "This topic is purely for individual AA humanitarian support/entertainment purposes only, and its contents are purely contributions by and for members of this site, solely for such individual membership participation purpose(s).")<P>... we could also include, on this first post, (something to this affect: "This site and its members agree, that such contributions to this site do not reflect ownership/copyrights of any materials contributed on this site, or that of any of its members pertaining to any/all copyright/ownership laws.")</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Unfortunately, there is no statement that absolves us of complying with copyright laws. We can't just say, "We're not responsible for what gets posted here." I know that others do that. I'm not a copyright attorney, but I have been in the publishing game for quite some time. What they are doing is wrong, legally and ethically.<P>We could set up a category that required prior approval before posts were made. You could moderate that category and (1) make sure that any posts complied with "fair use" or (2) the person posting had permission to reprint the material. Sounds like a lot of bother to me, but if you want to give it a try, we can do it (if there's interest expressed by others over the next couple of weeks).<P>Another alternative would be to restrict posts to AAWS and Grapevine publications. Still, though we have permission, we would need to include the appropriate source and copyright information.
-- Ludwig Wittgenstein
Dean C
Forums Long Timer

Postby Blue Moon » Sun Jun 16, 2002 5:13 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Cindy:<BR><STRONG>A Section for: Prayer Requests<BR></STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>My concern is this could make AA look religious. If I want religion and others to pray for me I'll go to church. Doesn't the "friends & family" section cover what's needed?
Ian S
AKA Blue Moon
Blue Moon
Site Admin

Postby Dean C » Sun Jun 16, 2002 11:10 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Cindy:<BR><STRONG>But I understand this can't be done anyway.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>No, it's still on the table. It was only the copyright problems with the "Poems..." category that we seemed to reach an agreement on, about the difficulty in doing such a thing.
-- Ludwig Wittgenstein
Dean C
Forums Long Timer

Postby Blue Moon » Mon Jun 17, 2002 5:57 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Cindy:<BR><STRONG>Spirituality & Religion are two completely different ideals -- and are not relative to the spiritual principles, for which my request is based, applied in AA by working the Steps.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>The Steps don't include any mention of "praying for others". As far as I'm aware, the only place in the book that mentions it is in the story "freedom from bondage" where it's specifically suggested as a way of dealing with resentment.
Ian S
AKA Blue Moon
Blue Moon
Site Admin

Postby alone » Mon Jun 17, 2002 8:24 am

Dean wrote:<BR>"Thanks for your suggestion, Cindy. We'll give it a week or two and see what everyone's got to say."<P>I don't post a lot, but have been coming to this site for quite a while....seems to me that Blue Moon has a right to reply and have input. From what I have learned most decisions here are made with all members' input , similar to a Group Conscious in f2f. <P>I have no preference either way on adding the prayer topic......I am still learning about the traditions.<P>I do however think that everyone in the group should be able to reply to any message posted.
alone
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Dean C » Mon Jun 17, 2002 4:00 pm

To summarize where we are.<P>There has been a suggestion for a new category: "Prayer Requests."<P>So far, there has been one "yes" (from the author of the suggestion), one "no," and one "don't care."<P>There was also a question raised: "Where in the Steps or in the program part of the book does it even mention praying for others?"<P>I'd be glad to answer that question -- in another category -- later, if someone doesn't beat me to it.
-- Ludwig Wittgenstein
Dean C
Forums Long Timer

Postby Susan » Mon Jun 17, 2002 6:14 pm

Hi Everybody! :) <P>Are we taking a group conscience here ? :p <P>Therefore, I'm not in favor of a prayer forum, or poems, inspirational notes, etc. :eek: <P>Okey Dokey - ? That's my input.<P>Happy Trails,
Happy Trails ~

Susan
Susan
Forums Contributor

Postby curtis s » Mon Jun 17, 2002 7:38 pm

For many there is a connection between religion and spirituality, for others linking any form of organized religion, even merely calling our Higher Power God, can make them uncomfortable. As a member of an organized religion who has been subjected to vigorous proselytization I can understand both views. In my experience this is an ongoing learning experience that sometimes becomes a problem. Often it does not if people can respect each others beliefs.And demonstrate that respect. Certainly it needs discussion if such a forum should be initiated.<P>Personaly I don't think a specific prayer forum is needed. Among other things it could lead to a disagreement as to who the prayers are to be addressed to. I know that at times I have been in strong disagreement with how some people defined their Higher Power and have had to make an effort to keep my mouth shut while awaiting guidance. <P>I have prayed for some of the people who have posted here, and ususally inform them via private message since I consider this a personal matter. I think that definitely if someone wishes to be prayed for they can openly say so here, since we can talk about anything else. They should also be able to request that we not pray for them and instead reach out to them in other ways.<P>This is a very touchy and personal subject and it will be very important for us all to not let personalities (quick self inventory: do I just like to hear myself type? Sometimes I think yes) get in the way<P>One last thing. We all have the right to express our opinions, but I was VERY glad to see Deans comment about petty bickering<P>Curt<P>[ 06-17-2002: Message edited by: curt ]<p>[ 06-17-2002: Message edited by: curt ]
"What a long strange trip it's been."
curtis s
Forums Long Timer

Next

Return to Suggestions