AA Preamble

Want different titles on these forums? Got some other good ideas? Talk about them here.
Redrosespdwy
Forums Newcomer

AA Preamble

Post by Redrosespdwy » Fri Dec 27, 2019 7:28 pm

AA IS NOT ALLIED WITH ANY ORGANIZATION. I announced at a Christian soup kitchen that we have an alcoholic recovery program Weds night at 630pm. But I am not at liberty to say the name (AA) Some guy at the soup kitchen whose in AA shouted “the meeting is AA”. Then he got up, walked behind where I sat, slapped the back of my head, said “lighten up, tell them it’s an AA meeting.” I am 32 years sober. Am I too strict??

Brock
Trusted Servant

Re: AA Preamble

Post by Brock » Sat Dec 28, 2019 6:11 am

Thanks for an interesting question.

From my interpretation of the traditions, you did the right thing, but I also feel it wouldn’t have been wrong to mention AA. If for example someone was reading a list of weekly activities held at the facility, or offered by the Christian group, it would probably say AA meeting, not alcoholic recovery program. So I feel it could have been done either way, mentioning AA would not be wrong, and not mentioning it also would not be wrong.

To me the only one absolutely wrong, is the clown who made a big deal about it, shouting out then physically touching you. Some of us are more recovered than others, and it looks like he has things to learn still.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."

PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Post by PaigeB » Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:58 am

Groups in many areas consider this type of speaking to be one of the cornerstones of a constructive A.A. public information program. They believe that it provides an excellent opportunity to demonstrate our willingness to be “friendly with our friends,” to inform the public concerning the role of A.A. in the community, and above all, to carry the message of our recovery to alcoholics through a third person...
https://www.aa.org/assets/en_US/p-40_speaknonAAmeet.pdf
On my not-so-humble opinion, and from my time in Public Information Committee, I CAN and SHOULD say "AA meets here Fridays"... However, I should refrain from saying, "My name is Paige and I am an alcoholic who goes to a meeting that comes here." Personal anonymity is different from having some sort of super secret society.

People don't come to AA to do sightseeing. We need to let those who have never heard from us before know where we are and that AA is alive and well in the community. IF someone comes up to us after the announcement wanting to know more we con discover what their personal needs are ie; alcoholic, alanon or interested party.

AA Literature CAN and SHOULD go anywhere they will let us put a rack of it out! Ask your District or Area how you can be of assistance to those who do not know the first thing about AA. :arrow:

See ALSO: Understanding Anonymity
https://www.aa.org/assets/en_US/p-47_un ... nymity.pdf
Cling to the thought that, in God's hands, the dark past is the greatest possession you have - the key to life and happiness for others. With it you can avert death and misery for them. page 124 BB

tomsteve
Forums Contributor

Post by tomsteve » Mon Dec 30, 2019 4:47 am

too strict? overboard.
AA is not allied with any organization.
it isnt AAs members are not allied with any organizations.
. wtf is wrong with saying its an aa meeting?
lighten up. get some looser fitting britches.
dont take yourself so dam seriously.

i think theres a crapton of misunderstanding /ignorance of traditions,which tradition study meetings would be a good thing to attend

positrac
Forums Old Timer

Post by positrac » Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:01 am

I have 30 plus years sober and my thoughts on this are the following: AA meeting where and when and if they care they will come and if not then they ain't ready. I am from the old school and I know that even back in the day it was called out AA.

Live and learn and go in peace. You have a lot to offer and you might of gotten a little rigid.
Work hard, stay positive, and get up early. It's the best part of the day.
George Allen, Sr.

innermost
Forums Enthusiast

Post by innermost » Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:27 am

Since you decided to make the announcement
I think you should have said AA, so people know
exactly what it is.

You then could have added that it is not affiliated with
the soup kitchen,so you feel aligned with the preamble.

I applaud your effort and desire to not be affiliated with the soup kitchen.
The first 164 pg. is the program!