Military Requirement

Got an issue with someone or something? Want to whine a little? Here's the place to do it, or to get to know folks, or ask those questions that don't fit anywhere else.
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Re: Military Requirement

Post by PaigeB »

Bub32 wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:59 pm Daily or Weekly Events: I'm coaching basketball tomorrow night for the first time! Hah, I know very little about the game since I was a wrestler but I look forward to coaching my son again!
Ahhh yes! We become citizens in the family and in the community! I love it!
Cling to the thought that, in God's hands, the dark past is the greatest possession you have - the key to life and happiness for others. With it you can avert death and misery for them. page 124 BB
Bub32
Forums Enthusiast

Post by Bub32 »

Paige, we just moved to a MUCH larger school district and we know very few people! In our last school district, we knew everyone and we were very well known and liked throughout the community! We also strived to be a part of anything we could to keep our family involved. Our move was obviously a big change, but we want our children to make as many friends as possible and I know that coaching is a great way to help with that. It also helps that our son is a natural friend-magnet.

Re-enter COVID.

The parents can't be in the gym for practice or games and no one wants to be an assistant coach, so I'm hiring my wife as my assistant haha. This way, we can both watch the games. Somehow and someway, we will find a way to interact with the other parents. My wife is really good at reaching out to other parents and arranging stuff like play-dates. Hopefully something changes to allow parents the opportunity to see their kids, but unfortunately, I don't think that we are going to see that this year. Either way, we are involved and I can't wait to stay involved.
Bub32
Forums Enthusiast

Post by Bub32 »

Am I Sober? Yep!

Have I Had Any Exposure to Alcohol Today? How did I handle the exposure? Nope, but I did last night and it wasn't an issue.

Did I Have Any Thoughts or Cravings? Nope.

Am I Homicidal or Suicidal? Never.

Daily or Weekly Events: Relaxing this morning and then some basketball practice and some Christmas shopping later today.
Bub32
Forums Enthusiast

Post by Bub32 »

Am I Sober? 542 Days.

Have I Had Any Exposure to Alcohol Today? How did I handle the exposure? Nope.

Daily or Weekly Events: Christmas prep! We also are going to my brother's for supper this evening. He is a chef and I'm always super pumped to eat his food.
Bub32
Forums Enthusiast

Post by Bub32 »

This week was pretty busy. I actually got to work at the unit instead of from our house and this was by choice. I could accomplish plenty of my duties via telework, but it's been hard to get into a military mindset from home with COVID and Christmas right around the corner.

I've nearly finished all of our large projects around the house. I'm pretty happy with the progress we've made since mid-August, but I've darn near worked myself out of work. All sports were cancelled and our state is back in a near shut-down again.

Now I have the opportunity to relax, this is the first time in years that I will actually be able to sit and enjoy our house. I don't anticipate it to influence my thoughts negatively or to hinder my sobriety, but I am anxious to see if I think about alcohol more while I'm not as busy. I guess that I'll find out but I'm prepared to deal with/manage myself appropriately and in accordance with the way that has been working for me.
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Post by PaigeB »

Bub32 wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 12:09 pm ... I've darn near worked myself out of work.
... I am anxious to see if I think about alcohol more while I'm not as busy. I guess that I'll find out but I'm prepared to deal with/manage myself appropriately and in accordance with the way that has been working for me.
I love that you have worked yourself out of work! See if they need help with the local AA hotline or seasonal Alkathons over the holidays. Or hit an online meeting! this link will help you find all of the above - NEAR YOU!
https://www.aa.org/pages/en_US/find-aa-resources

Don't over think it - even happy fantasies of the drink bring on more thinking of the drink. The Big Book, page 84, says: For by this time sanity will have returned. We will seldom be interested in liquor. If tempted, we recoil from it as from a hot flame.
These are part of the TENTH STEP Promises... Have you gotten that far in your Step Work? Either way, RECOIL from any thinking about drinking... This usually takes getting busy, but that is not necessarily from actual work. Read a story to a child or call the hotline and talk to whatever drunk you can!
Cling to the thought that, in God's hands, the dark past is the greatest possession you have - the key to life and happiness for others. With it you can avert death and misery for them. page 124 BB
Layne
Forums Old Timer

Post by Layne »

I am anxious to see if I think about alcohol more while I'm not as busy. I guess that I'll find out but I'm prepared to deal with/manage myself appropriately and in accordance with the way that has been working for me.
I think you will be pleased with what you find out and I have no doubt that you will continue to do what is working for you.

Just don't think about whether you are thinking about alcohol... and you won't!! That may not make any sense to anyone else, but I understand it. =biggrin
Bub32
Forums Enthusiast

Post by Bub32 »

Am I Sober? Yes.

Have I Had Any Exposure to Alcohol Today? How did I handle the exposure? Nope.

Daily or Weekly Events: I was up at 4 shoveling after Gail and it felt great. Haha, I missed the snow. I was ready to go in to work but my CC waived me off. That just made plenty of time for telework and playing with the kids in the snow. It was a good day and now I'm whooped. Time for bed.
Bub32
Forums Enthusiast

Post by Bub32 »

Paige and Layne, thanks again for the inputs and I'll tell you what, I do need to do some volunteering. I love community service and now that I'm not coaching because our basketball season was cancelled, I'm going to see what I can do to help some other alcoholics/addicts.

Layne, I loved "Just don't think about whether you are thinking about alcohol... and you won't!!" I know what you mean and I think that the only reason I think about it is because I'm required to by the military. I almost overthink not thinking about drinking. I know that everyone's mind is different, but whatever we are thinking is making sense and working! Haha, that may not make any sense either, but we are doing it!
Layne
Forums Old Timer

Post by Layne »

I don't remember how far along I was in recovery when it suddenly hit me one day "WOW!!! I can't remember the last time that I thought about alcohol period, not drinking it, not not drinking it, just no thoughts whatsoever. WOW, this recovery thing must be working!!!" Put a real pep in my step. What freedom!

As to things making sense, I start to worry when things make sense to me because WTH do I know anyway? I qualified myself for my seat in the rooms by doing insane crazy things that made sense at the time. If things make sense to me, I am not afraid to get a second opinion!
Layne
Forums Old Timer

Post by Layne »

Bub32 wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:21 pm I'll tell you what, I do need to do some volunteering. I love community service and now that I'm not coaching because our basketball season was cancelled, I'm going to see what I can do to help some other alcoholics/addicts.
Can't go wrong by doing that. Actor Danny Trejo, who has 52 years of 12 step recovery, has been quoted as saying "Everything good that has happened to me has happened as a direct result of helping someone else. Everything."
Bub32
Forums Enthusiast

Post by Bub32 »

The whole family and I took a quick trip to a Christmas Barn today, followed by some sledding and baking a bunch of cookies.

On the way to the Christmas Barn, we encountered one of the town's school district giving away free food and I really had wished that I could have helped. Although not AA related, it just looked like it was a great event. It made me think of these last few posts.

Earlier today, we also had a good family friend visit who works with those who struggle with addiction at one of the premier rehabs in the country. She also was a very close friend of my father, who basically died of addiction last year. It was nice to see her and my addiction is never a real focal point when we gather, but we discussed it and I realized that I have her as a resource if I ever need her. It's strange that it never dawned on me before, but I think that it would great to reach out to her more about my recovery just to be able to talk to her more. She's definitely a cool older lady.

Welp, I'm going back to sleep, but I hope that everyone has a great next few days leading up to Christmas. I know that our whole family is stoked!
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Post by PaigeB »

SO happy for you Bub!

Merry Christmas & Happy Festivous!
Bub32
Forums Enthusiast

Post by Bub32 »

A little late but I hope that everyone had a Merry Christmas!
Bub32
Forums Enthusiast

Post by Bub32 »

Am I Sober? Yes!

Have I Had Any Exposure to Alcohol Today? How did I handle the exposure? Not today, but I did yesterday and it was minimal. I barely even notice that it's around other than the fact that I have to write about it.

Am I Homicidal or Suicidal? Never!

Daily or Weekly Events: The Christmas festivities continue tonight with my wife's family. I can't wait!