Spiritual Traps & Good Indicators.

Got an issue with someone or something? Want to whine a little? Here's the place to do it, or to get to know folks, or ask those questions that don't fit anywhere else.
Brock
Trusted Servant

Spiritual Traps & Good Indicators.

Post by Brock » Mon May 20, 2019 10:32 am

This is a list of ‘spiritual traps’ we may fall into, and a list of things which mean we are on the right track. Just something copied from the many such lists available on the internet.

Spiritual Traps: False Signs of Spiritual Awakening

• Trap #1: Thinking You're “Good” and Others Are “Evil”

• Trap #2: Identifying Yourself as a “Spiritual Person”

• Trap #3: Seeking “Love and Light”

• Trap #4: Acting Nice.

• Trap #5: Secretly Believing You're Better Than Others.

True Signs of Spiritual Awakening

Sign #1: A Noticeable Change in Your Behavior.
Perhaps the most essential and authentic signs of spiritual awakening can be observed in your daily behavior. Compulsive, neurotic, and addictive behaviors are symptoms of the ego or lower soul. The Spirit or Higher Self has no such tendencies.

Sign #2: A Deepening in Your Emotional Wellbeing
Disruption in our emotional body is perhaps the main thing that blocks spiritual awakening.

Sign #3: A Tendency to Slow Down and Reflect Back
For the above signs to unfold, self-reflection is necessary where you turn back to understand the present. This reflecting back is challenging in modern times due to the fast pace we tend to run. 

Sign #4: A Shift in Priorities and Values
Locating authority within ourselves changes our values. Religion provides a moral code based on a system of rules. “Don’t do this; don’t do that.” But now we can develop our personal ethical framework where we evaluate what’s best in the context of the moment. The ego is unable to do this because basic needs drive it; only the Higher Self can.

Sign #5: A Transformation of the Inner World
In the average person’s waking state, an individual’s ego is almost exclusively focused on their outer world. Work, money, achievement, family, friends, and social life are all elements of the external environment.

Sign #6: Holding the Opposites Together
Most of us have a rather rigid, fundamentalist mind that sees things in black and white. Red and Blue, Democrat and Republican, Male and Female, Good and Bad, Left and Right … you get the idea. (It goes on to explain how we must overcome this thinking, it is what it is, not good or bad, called non dual thinking).

Sign #7: An Experience of Okayness and Inner Freedom
The ego is our source of fears, desires, and constant tension. When the ego is no longer in control, there’s an inherent sense of okayness—regardless of what’s happening in our lives.

Sign #8: A Deeping Sense of Self-Honesty and Personal Responsibility
As you begin to locate more authority within, there’s a willingness to be radically honest with yourself.

Sign #9: A Massive Change in Lifestyle Choices
Another noticeable sign of spiritual awakening is that you become highly conscious of your lifestyle choices. 

Sign #10: A Sense of Interconnectivity or Oneness
The ego, or as Alan Watts calls it, the superficial self, feels separate and alone. It fears for its safety, clinging to life while fearing death.
The Original Spirit has no such fear or sense of separation. It doesn’t play the ego’s game of “us versus them.” The Spirit doesn’t identify itself with gender, race, nationality, religion, or a species. It simply is. And it exists outside of space and time, so death isn’t a relevant concept for it.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."

innermost
Forums Enthusiast

Re: Spiritual Traps & Good Indicators.

Post by innermost » Tue May 21, 2019 10:03 am

I do Love this kind of topic.

There is a tricky subtle trap that I have experience with.
It kind of is covered with thinking your good and others evil.
It is a low grade thinking and believing "I'm right" you don't even have to have another to see as wrong.
Just personal choices that don't seem to be big enough to bother God with.
The EGO can slowly build in everyday life on the little things. Those minor decisions. Of course most choices
we make we do them with a belief that it is the right choice.
It can build slowly, this pattern of rightness. A fine line between God's righteousness and our own righteousness.
In my case it built over years and I could not see it because it was so subtle.
The first 164 pg. is the program!

PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Post by PaigeB » Tue May 21, 2019 10:42 am

Just personal choices that don't seem to be big enough to bother God with.
The EGO can slowly build in everyday life on the little things. Those minor decisions. Of course most choices
we make we do them with a belief that it is the right choice.
It can build slowly, this pattern of rightness. A fine line between God's righteousness and our own righteousness.
That is about where I am at... even though I think I am quite prayerful during the day and of course when something slams me back. But this "ah-ha" - this quiet voice we have to listen carefully for. Or better yet? Live in a prayerful way. I need help from HP to fix these things. It is not something I learn ~ though I will learn, I don't want to learn the hard way!

I AM NOT CURED. Just because hubby's shoes are in the middle of the room AGAIN and I kindly pick them up and move on without further ado, that does not mean I got "well" from my resentment inventory on this. I no longer want to scream or take photos but - more dangerously - my subtle Inner Ego makes a check mark on the black wall, with a sick grin of satisfaction.

It is hard to see in myself. We have to Listen. The voice of Peace is quiet. Asking HP for help - then helping my HP.
Step 6 is "AA's way of stating, the best possible attitude one can take in order to make a beginning on this lifetime job... with most of them we shall have to be content with patient improvement." 12&12 Step Six, p.65

Brock
Trusted Servant

Post by Brock » Wed May 22, 2019 8:20 am

innermost wrote:The EGO can slowly build in everyday life on the little things.
Very good point, the writer and spiritual teacher Eckhart Tolle says that every negative thought is ego. I found it difficult to understand at first, but now realize that any little thing, be it thinking someone is driving badly, or someone repeating the same story in a meeting over and over, any negative thought about someone or something, has at it’s root me believing I am better than them, (ego), over a day these little things can indeed build. I find it hard to stop doing, but Tolle says just recognizing these thoughts for what they are is sufficient, it weakens them.

I have heard people ask why we need to reduce this ego, it’s something we are taught to do in the AA program, and in every other spiritually based program. To me the answer is that an inflated ego and judging others, may not necessarily lead me back to drink, but we are promised much more than sobriety, and a reduced ego and non judgment of others, leads to the happy life we are promised. The fairy tale of Adam and Eve has nothing to do with eating an apple, the book says they ate of the tree of knowledge of good and bad, and therefore no longer lived in paradise. A quite simple valid lesson, go around thinking or saying this is good that is bad, or he or she is good that other one bad, in other words judging everything and everyone will have us in the same boat, not living in paradise, ie. not happy.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."

innermost
Forums Enthusiast

Post by innermost » Wed May 22, 2019 6:56 pm

Brock wrote:
innermost wrote:The EGO can slowly build in everyday life on the little things.
Very good point, the writer and spiritual teacher Eckhart Tolle says that every negative thought is ego. I found it difficult to understand at first, but now realize that any little thing, be it thinking someone is driving badly, or someone repeating the same story in a meeting over and over, any negative thought about someone or something, has at it’s root me believing I am better than them, (ego), over a day these little things can indeed build. I find it hard to stop doing, but Tolle says just recognizing these thoughts for what they are is sufficient, it weakens them.

I have heard people ask why we need to reduce this ego, it’s something we are taught to do in the AA program, and in every other spiritually based program. To me the answer is that an inflated ego and judging others, may not necessarily lead me back to drink, but we are promised much more than sobriety, and a reduced ego and non judgment of others, leads to the happy life we are promised. The fairy tale of Adam and Eve has nothing to do with eating an apple, the book says they ate of the tree of knowledge of good and bad, and therefore no longer lived in paradise. A quite simple valid lesson, go around thinking or saying this is good that is bad, or he or she is good that other one bad, in other words judging everything and everyone will have us in the same boat, not living in paradise, ie. not happy.
I am familiar with Tolle's teachings.
I see it the same way. When we can be truly be free of ego and in the will of our HP then we can know freedom. It does not, at least for me mean the ego does not slip back in getting me focused back on self at times.It seems like my default position is self and the ego, but then that is why we continue the work and practices of spiritual progress and not perfection.
The first 164 pg. is the program!

PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Post by PaigeB » Thu May 23, 2019 10:47 am

Even the Yogis will say such spiritual perfection is not difficult, it is impossible. However, when I practice meditation I practice being present in the will of HP. With regular practice I might be able to walk to the mailbox without thinking of myself!
Step 6 is "AA's way of stating, the best possible attitude one can take in order to make a beginning on this lifetime job... with most of them we shall have to be content with patient improvement." 12&12 Step Six, p.65

Brock
Trusted Servant

Post by Brock » Fri May 24, 2019 10:17 am

In the original post at the top, I mentioned that the list was taken from one of several such lists on the internet, which give signs of when we are on the right track spiritually. I put only the first line of explanation on sign #9 like this -
Sign #9: A Massive Change in Lifestyle Choices

Another noticeable sign of spiritual awakening is that you become highly conscious of your lifestyle choices. 
It has bothered me a little, that the second line which I didn’t put up says this -
Most notably, there arises a complete aversion to eating meat or any animal products.
And it goes on and on about eating meat, as if it’s impossible to be spiritual if you do. By searching I have found many so called ‘spiritual’ sites which agree, and a few which disagree. It is my hope that nobody in AA ever suggests that we shouldn’t eat meat, but given that some of us like outside issues, (maybe this topic is one), I wouldn’t be surprised if I do hear such advise.

PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Post by PaigeB » Fri May 24, 2019 11:00 am

Some folks quit smoking. I finally did.
I quit speeding on the city freeway. (no I didn't)
Some people get religion too, but not me.
I have a girl friend who went entirely vegan. It had nothing to do with AA or spirituality though.

Chelle
Forums Contributor

Post by Chelle » Sat May 25, 2019 5:52 am

Good for you Paige! Congratulations =biggrin