If you don’t know ask?

Got an issue with someone or something? Want to whine a little? Here's the place to do it, or to get to know folks, or ask those questions that don't fit anywhere else.

If you don’t know ask?

Postby Boats3 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:46 am

Hello my name is David and I am an alcoholic. My sponsor made it very clear to do as little thinking as possible in certain aspects of life while in recovery. His solution was to ask another alcoholic and it still works 11 months later. I’ve been asking one specific question for about a month and I know I’m not alone someone else has to have experienced this before. Here is my question has anyone been through mediation for employment discrimination due to a perceived disability? Any advice from experience would be greatly appreciated. I have legal representation, however my lawyer has never been in my current situation personally.
Last edited by Boats3 on Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Boats3
Forums Newcomer

Re: If you don’t know ask?

Postby Db1105 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:27 pm

Your best bet is to talk to an attorney for legal questions.
Db1105
Forums Contributor

Postby Boats3 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:44 pm

I’ve got legal representation. I’m seeking an alcoholics perspective from experience, my apologies I should have been more specific.
Boats3
Forums Newcomer

Postby Brock » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:59 pm

Welcome to e-AA David.

I have no experience with this either, it is an interesting question, but I believe your lawyer not having been in that position makes little difference. His job should be to find out from looking up other cases what the precedent is here, I am assuming we are saying alcoholism is a disability in this case.

By the way you may notice your post was moved to a section headed ‘If it doesn't fit anywhere else,’ we use this for subjects related to alcoholism but not directed to recovery.

Perhaps someone will be along with a better answer, I wish you the best of luck in this.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby PaigeB » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:57 pm

What type of disability? Alcoholism? I don't see that as a disability.
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Forums Old Timer

Postby Boats3 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:18 pm

Thank y’all so much for the prompt feedback! My lawyer told me like it was, everyone’s experience is different, and he have never been in my shoes. Alcoholism isn’t the problem (for once). Six months ago my employer of seven years placed me on an unpaid leave of absence, still have health insurance for that I’m grateful. I’m a combat veteran with PTSD this was known and documented when I was hired. What I’m hoping to find is someone with a similar experience.
Boats3
Forums Newcomer

Postby PaigeB » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:41 pm

I would definitely check with Vets groups and not alcoholics.

Good Luck.
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Forums Old Timer

Postby positrac » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:09 am

Boats3 wrote: I’m a combat veteran with PTSD this was known and documented when I was hired. What I’m hoping to find is someone with a similar experience.

You need to reach out to the local VA on PTSD and I am sure that you must be getting some compensation for this and so go to the experts. We are just drunks and something's are way outside our wheel house and lawyers will have you do all of the dirty work for 600 bucks an hour and still play stupid sticker on the forehead. If you are on unpaid leave then more is to be revealed because employers just can't make decisions based on some gut feeling and or hearsay from another employee.

Be well and best of success on this.
Work hard, stay positive, and get up early. It's the best part of the day.
George Allen, Sr.
positrac
Trusted Servant

Postby Tosh » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:31 pm

Boats3 wrote: My sponsor made it very clear to do as little thinking as possible in certain aspects of life while in recovery.

If my sponsor said that to me, I'd end up over-thinking all the possible reasons why he actually said it to me.

I'm nearly 9 years sober and I still can't control what I think. I'm not even sure how that works.

Don't think about pink elephants.

I bet you've just thought about pink elephants. :lol:
Come, come, whoever you are. Wanderer, worshiper, lover of leaving. It doesn't matter. Ours is not a caravan of despair. Come, even if you have broken your vows a thousand times. Come, yet again, come, come.” Rumi (No sniggering from the sex addicts)
Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Postby Blue Moon » Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:25 pm

Boats3 wrote: My sponsor made it very clear to do as little thinking as possible in certain aspects of life while in recovery. His solution was to ask another alcoholic and it still works 11 months later. I’ve been asking one specific question for about a month

I guess it doesn't work so well after all.

You were given a brain to use. I suggest to start using it, not be contingent upon a group who have scant experience or knowledge with the problem.

Our expertise is alcoholism. Yet even there, you'll find a mix of opinions between those who worked Steps, do service etc... and those who don't.
Ian S
AKA Blue Moon
Blue Moon
Site Admin

Return to If It Doesn't Fit Anywhere Else