Primetime aa

Got an issue with someone or something? Want to whine a little? Here's the place to do it, or to get to know folks, or ask those questions that don't fit anywhere else.

Re: Primetime aa

Postby Blue Moon » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:34 am

Patsy© wrote:I will not be back to this thread, because I truly believe that if I do, then Brock and Blue Moon will have a cardiac event! :lol:

Why would I do that? What you said was correct.

But what we need to realise about these outside agencies is that, if they are not AA, they are not subject to AA Traditions. So there's no point in someone complaining about their non-compliance with AA Traditions. Even a bona-fide AA Group does not have to enforce Traditions, it cannot be forced to do anything it doesn't want to do (except Tradition 6, in a certain context). Traditions are suggestions, and it's the group that suffers if those suggestions are not followed, just as it's the individual AA who suffers if they don't take the Steps. So if I'm operating an outfit which is not an AA Group, I have not even a moral obligation to operate it according to AA Traditions. If I'm trying to pass off something else under the name of AA, the only people who can stop me are the courts. Nothing said here in this forum is going to make a difference. But as you indicate, no logo is a trademark of AAWS, so nobody infringes any trademark law by drawing a triangle in a circle even if older AA members recognise it in a certain context.

AA members' responsibility is to talk more to the wider community about what AA is, and what it isn't. If we don't, someone else will do it for us.

Perhaps a bigger problem is when AA Groups bring these outside agencies and literature into AA meetings. I've seen this happen with another "knock-off AA" movement which I won't grace here with a name. That problem is with the AA Group, rather than the outside agency trying to profit from it. That agency flourished because a lot of AA Groups were deviating from a recovery message. So perhaps these other parties would not do so well if more AA Groups in general got on-message with their 5th Tradition.
Ian S
AKA Blue Moon
Blue Moon
Site Admin

Re: Primetime aa

Postby Patsy© » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:52 am

Ok Bluemoon, as long as you won't have a cardiac event, I will come back here! :lol:

But what we need to realise about these outside agencies is that, if they are not AA, they are not subject to AA Traditions. So there's no point in someone complaining about their non-compliance with AA Traditions.

I didn't think that Primetime ought to follow AA Traditions, and I wasn't complaining about Primetime not following the 12 Traditions, after all they are not AA, why would they?
What my complaint was, is that they are NOT Alcoholics Anonymous and shouldn't be using the AA name to make money selling books and retreats. That is Theft. The 12 Traditions are for the AA group and AA members, and Primetime has conned enough AA members into thinking that they are AA.....which they ARE NOT :)

Perhaps a bigger problem is when AA Groups bring these outside agencies and literature into AA meetings. I've seen this happen with another "knock-off AA" movement which I won't grace here with a name. That problem is with the AA Group, rather than the outside agency trying to profit from it. That agency flourished because a lot of AA Groups were deviating from a recovery message. So perhaps these other parties would not do so well if more AA Groups in general got on-message with their 5th Tradition.

I absolutely agree with you! AA Groups and AA members are the ones responsible for reading, learning, and passing on all of those 12 Traditions that will enable AA to survive and stay alive and thriving.....and recognizable!
The thing that was so concerning to me is that so many AA members were not able to tell that Primetime was a knockoff and NOT Alcoholics Anonymous. That is truly scary!
Failed 12 Step Call? Not if we walk away sober!
Patsy©
Forums Contributor

Previous

Return to If It Doesn't Fit Anywhere Else