Primetime aa

Got an issue with someone or something? Want to whine a little? Here's the place to do it, or to get to know folks, or ask those questions that don't fit anywhere else.

Re: Primetime aa

Postby Blue Moon » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:24 pm

Why are we talking about other groups inn a recovery-discussion forum?

If you have a problem with another group, by all means contact the GSO for whevever that group resides.
Ian S
AKA Blue Moon
Blue Moon
Site Admin

Postby Patsy© » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:57 am

Moderator edit- Link removed.
Wow...when clicking on the above web address, its not the one I put there and it changes the entire address...to spammer web address and says Server Not Found??
How very Interesting!!

Primetime AA Founder Bob Anderson’s Book: A Mind Powered Disease by Bob Anderson and Sylvie Gabrielle.
With 44 years of personal experience, Bob Andersons message has helped thousands to recover from alcoholism, addiction and other obsessive behaviors.

Spiritual Treatment for Alcoholism

What if I Can’t Get Sober In Neighborhood AA? GO TO PRIMETIME AA BECAUSE IT IS DIFFERENT!

The above is what is written on the cover of the this guys book and website. Notice, addiction and other obsessive behaviors? With further research, it is obvious that the above is not AA.

If the above isn't about making money off the AA name, then what is?

Sue, please take the above website to your service sponsor who is the current Delegate for Eastern Mass to the General Service Conference and see if she thinks there is a problem with it now that she can read the truth about what Primetime really IS.

The original poster Soberguy knew it, he questioned it and here we have a thread full of AA members who can't tell the difference! This is why the AA Traditions are so Vital to the Unity, Service and Recovery of AA as a whole, AA groups and AA members. (Thank you Soberguy)

What a sorry time it is when even AA members do not recognize it, and the site Administrator doesn't recognize that the AA members here are being duped! That is frightening.... because this site IS suppose to be an AA site.

This isn't about discussing an AA group .... this is about a secular recovery organization that has found a way of conning AA members and making a lot of money off the AA name.

There is nothing more valuable to the Unity, Service and Recovery of Alcoholics Anonymous...than an informed AA site...no?

AA members here at this site can't put a genuine YPAA website address, because this AA site doesn't recognize that YPAA is part of Alcoholics Anonymous and is at the aa.org site?

But we can share about a secular recovery organization and some guy who claims to be the Primetime AA Founder, while books and retreats are being sold at his website under the AA name!

There are enough AA members right here at this site who are thoroughly confused and think this "Primetime" is AA. And of course this IS what happens when the AA Traditions are completely ignored and not practiced or passed on.

Bill Wilson only had one warning ..."If AA ever perishes, it will come from the inside".

When the 12 Traditions are ignored, then anything can be invited in. Why not have Smart Recovery here? Or Rational Recovery? The only difference between those two secular recovery programs and the secular program called Primetime, is that Bob Anderson is using the AA name to solicit business and sell his book! What a huge pool to profit from.

Sometimes being confrontational isn't a bad thing when it comes to What AA is and What AA is not. It sure beats being apathetic and unable to distinguish the difference between a Con and Genuine AA!

Its amazing that many are completely baffled with this, but isn't that how he gets away with it? Confuse the heck out of AA members and these days with the lack of Sponsorship and The 12 Traditions, its so easy to do.

And I truly believe that there is nothing wrong with finding Recovery anywhere one chooses....the harm comes when any other Organization begins selling its own agenda, and Claims to be Alcoholics Anonymous, and AA members buy it, hook line and sinker!

I am a grateful member of Alcoholics Anonymous, it saved my life. I am also grateful that the AA Traditions were there when I came in as a newcomer and that there is still enough AA members today who understand them, apply them and pass them on.... Perhaps just not at this site?
Failed 12 Step Call? Not if we walk away sober!
Patsy©
Forums Contributor

Postby Brock » Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:24 am

I have removed the link at the start of your post Patsy, I have noticed some links for example just yesterday, a useful link from Lane on Dyslexia to a genuine site, if copied also came up marked 'spammer.' I believe it is done purposely by some sites, to avoid people copying their address, and is not an indicator that the site is bogus.
AA members here at this site can't put a genuine YPAA website address, because this AA site doesn't recognize that YPAA is part of Alcoholics Anonymous and is at the aa.org site?

That's not correct, under 'Start Here' which we hope people go to when first joining, we see 'Forum Guidelines,' the first one says this -
Links to other sites are not allowed, and will be deleted, exceptions are those with the following domains: aa.org and other country GSOs, e-aa.org, aa-intergroup.org, aagrapevine.org and al-anon.org.

I think we are not giving members credit for being able to choose good from bad, and being overly harsh on primetime, who have been around since 1992. They have not tried to aggressively market their ideas, and shove their way down anyone’s throat, none of us here even heard about it until the topic was raised. Let people make up their own minds, those who have tried it and like it stay, those who don't go back to 'regular style' AA meetings. Enough has been said, can we kindly stop dragging a group we only heard about a couple days ago through the mud.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby Patsy© » Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:06 am

Brock wrote:I have removed the link at the start of your post Patsy, I have noticed some links for example just yesterday, a useful link from Lane on Dyslexia to a genuine site, if copied also came up marked 'spammer.' I believe it is done purposely by some sites, to avoid people copying their address, and is not an indicator that the site is bogus.

That's not correct, under 'Start Here' which we hope people go to when first joining, we see 'Forum Guidelines,' the first one says this -
Links to other sites are not allowed, and will be deleted, exceptions are those with the following domains: aa.org and other country GSOs, e-aa.org, aa-intergroup.org, aagrapevine.org and al-anon.org.

I think we are not giving members credit for being able to choose good from bad, and being overly harsh on primetime, who have been around since 1992. They have not tried to aggressively market their ideas, and shove their way down anyone’s throat, none of us here even heard about it until the topic was raised. Let people make up their own minds, those who have tried it and like it stay, those who don't go back to 'regular style' AA meetings. Enough has been said, can we kindly stop dragging a group we only heard about a couple days ago through the mud.

I can get to that site through that link from my home computer. I have no idea why the address literally changed from the one I posted, to the one you removed. I have my thoughts about it though!

Primetime can not be dragged through the mud by me, or anyone else.....they do a great job of that themselves. You seem over attached to this Primetime and their members on FB. I realize that you may just want to get more people to post here and What AA is and What AA is not....isn't in the realm at all.

So please, just get a good look at that book that is posted......if that doesn't answer all the questions that any Responsible AA member has......then nothing will.

And if using the AA name to make money off that book isn't aggressively marketing, then I have nothing else. I am sure that if you want those people here, they will come.

Good luck with the promoting on FB to get them here.... I don't think that is what AA had in mind, but hey if you build it, they will come, regardless of all the broken AA Traditions!
Patsy©
Forums Contributor

Postby Soberguy27 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:06 am

This subject has seemed to go off the original topic. I was never concerned with primetime trying to help alcoholics. My issue was with this/these groups using the aa name and logo possibly misleading aa folks into their brand of aa. To me they seem to violate tradition 6 and 10 to some degree. Like I had posted before , I know no other aa meetings that have their own website pushing their own agenda. I feel like if we start playing loosly with our traditions then aa will become just a bunch of specialty groups all pushing their own brand of aa. This is scary to me.
Soberguy27
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Soberguy27 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:48 am

One more thing on this. I saw a video about primetime where the person speaking was sitting with the AA logo in front of them. If primetime is indeed NOT a part of AA then they need to not be using the AA logo as it can confuse AA members and be misleading. Anyone else feel this way?
Soberguy27
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Chelle » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:00 am

If it's not AA then they should not be representing itself as such. While I did find their approach to be very helpful at this stage in my recovery, I don't believe it would have been helpful as a beginner. We do not have this in our area. I appreciate you bringing it up, and I did not mean to go off topic. I'm not very familiar with the traditions, so I should not have voiced an opinion on the topic. I am also not a product of rehabilitation or treatment centers as was pointed out to me to be "powerful" as well. Thanks for the topic sober guy. I have much to learn and am receptive to all sorts of avenues to help me live with my isms now that the obsession to drink has been removed.
Chelle
Forums Contributor

Postby Roberth » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:16 pm

What is an A.A. Group?
As the long form of Tradition Three clearly states, “Our membership ought to include all who suffer from alcoholism. Hence we may refuse none who wish to recover. Nor ought A.A. membership ever depend upon money or conformity. Any two or three alcoholics gathered together for sobriety may call themselves an A.A. group, provided that, as a group, they have no other affiliation.”
Pamphlets -16 AA group

Also stated in the pamphlet
A.A. groups are encouraged to register with G.S.O., as well as with their local offices: area, district, intergroup or central office. A.A. meetings can be listed in local meeting lists.
this pamphlet can be read on the GSO website of AA
Robert
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in pretty, well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming WOW What a ride!!!!
Roberth
Forums Long Timer

Postby Brock » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:24 pm

This thread has been moved to “If It Doesn't Fit Anywhere Else,” the discussion forum it was in is for recovery. And while this started with a discussion on the recovery approach offered by Primetime, it degenerated into nothing to do with recovery.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby Patsy© » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:36 pm

Soberguy27 wrote:One more thing on this. I saw a video about primetime where the person speaking was sitting with the AA logo in front of them. If primetime is indeed NOT a part of AA then they need to not be using the AA logo as it can confuse AA members and be misleading. Anyone else feel this way?

Hi Soberguy,

I just want to commend you for being a Responsible AA Group member, one who is interested in making sure that Alcoholics Anonymous is there for all those to come :) After everything that I was researched about Primetime, Bob Anderson and his claim to be Founder of AA Primetime, (Gee, I thought Bill W. and Dr. Bob were the Founders of AA) and Bob Anderson also claims on his book cover that it is his Message that has helped thousands to recovery from Alcoholism, Addiction and other Obsessive Behaviors! Bob Anderson passed away, but apparently his Primetime is still alive and kicking, and using the AA name and AA's 12 steps!

Anyway, back to the Circle and Triangle :D

I was sober about 2 years when AAWS filed suit and went to court over the Circle and Triangle copyright.

The Circle and Triangle were the "official" trade mark for Alcoholics Anonymous ...until 1993 when lawyers advised the General Service Board that the copyright on the logo was unenforceable.
The logo had been used officially from 1957 to 1993 until the General Service Board asked the medallion and coin makers to "cease and desist" using it. For a time in 1991 & 1992 the coin manufacturers complied but sometime in 1992 they decided to re-negotiate and contest the Board's position.

Early in the summer of 1990, AAWS filed suit to force "Frames of Mind" to cease using the circle and triangle design on their products. AAWS also asked to have the defendants pay all court costs and tripled damages.
Some of the expense of this litigation were reported by GSO in an August 1990 Quarterly Report. As the case was not settled until late July, it is likely the figure did not reflect the complete costs.
Late in July, 1990 this first trial resulted in a Settlement Agreement which required "Frames of Mind" to have AAWS approve all medallion designs.

Subsequent to the settlement, more legal activity occurred. The result of a 1992 court case was that AAWS lost the right to approve designs for "Frames of Minds" medallions by order of Judge Conboy.

In a series of memos and a Box 459 article, AAWS communicated to the Fellowship the changed policy regarding the circle and triangle. The most recent document regarding AAWS policy in this matter is the AAWS Policy on Identifying Marks and Copyrights, formulated in 1994.

Currently, records indicate that in 1996 AAWS cancelled their rights to all service marks for circle and triangle designs, as well as the trademark for the AA circle and triangle. The trademarks for the plain circle and triangle, as well as for the designs bearing the text "General Service Conference" and "Recovery, Unity, Service" are all still active and assigned to AAWS.

To remedy the legal situation, the Conference recommendation was to simply use the words 'conference-approved' phrase on literature. The circle and triangle is not "banned by A.A.," just discontinued since 1993 as a trademark.

The Circle and Triangle were used in many many places through-out the world and through-out history... so there was no chance that AAWS was going to be able to enforce, the unenforceable! :D
Patsy©
Forums Contributor

Postby Patsy© » Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:28 pm

Page 174 in the Twelve and Twelve
Unless each A.A. member follows to the best of his ability our suggested Twelve Steps to recovery, he almost certainly signs his own death warrant. His drunkenness and dissolution are not penalties inflicted by people in authority; they result from his personal disobedience to spiritual principles.

The same stern threat applies to the group itself. Unless there is approximate conformity to A.A.'s Twelve Traditions, the group, too, can deteriorate and die. So we of A.A. do obey spiritual principles, first because we must, and ultimately because we love the kind of life such obedience brings. Great suffering and great love are A.A.'s disciplinarians; we need no others.

Alcoholics Anonymous has 3 Purposes:
Our Primary Purpose: - To stay sober and help other alcoholics to achieve sobriety.

Our Singleness of Purpose: - Alcohol

Our Sole Purpose: - Sobriety - freedom from alcohol - through the teaching and practice of AA's Twelve Steps, is the sole purpose of the AA group.

A.A.’s Single Purpose
Tradition Five: Each group has but one primary purpose—to carry its message to the alcoholic who still suffers.

"There are those who predict that A.A. may well become a new spearhead for a spiritual awakening throughout the world. When our friends say these things, they are both generous and sincere. But we of A.A. must reflect that such a tribute and such a prophecy could well prove to be a heady drink for most of us—that is, if we really came to believe this to be the real purpose of A.A., and if we commenced to behave accordingly.

"Our Society, therefore, will prudently cleave to its single purpose: the carrying of the message to the alcoholic who still suffers. Let us resist the proud assumption that since God has enabled us to do well in one area we are destined to be a channel of saving grace for everybody."

A.A. co-founder Bill W., 1955

I am going to take a wild guess and say that according to AA above, that Bob Anderson's book, his claim to be the Founder of AA Primetime, along with Bob's miraculous message that helps thousands to recover from Alcoholism, Addiction and other Obsessive Behaviors.....IS AN OUTSIDE ISSUE! :lol:
Patsy©
Forums Contributor

Postby rondam » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:28 am

I have never heard of prime time AA. From what I'm reading here, it sounds like it deviates from our traditions and our primary purpose, not to mention that they have enclosed the previously mentioned disclaimer about their meetings.

I may not know a lot, but this appears to be a branch off of AA, and that is not ok. That is something that we must watch out for.
rondam
Forums Newcomer

Postby Cristy99 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:59 am

RONDAM:

Welcome!! I'm glad you are here!! This site has helped me on so many levels. Discussions are usually not this heated. I see a lot of passion in this thread. Keep coming back!! :wink:

Wow!! This is a very interesting topic.....well I mean the original topic discussing non-traditional (if I may gently call them that because I don't know what else to call them) meetings. I can't comment on the validity of the Primetime aa, I would only be guessing. I can totally relate to Brock's seeming attitude of "hmmmmm, let's find out exactly what this is about and if, in fact, they are a 'for profit', non-AA organization" and keeping an open mind while investigating the facts. I can also relate to Patsy's fear (an assumption on my part...please forgive me if I'm wrong) of our rock solid program of AA being diluted to a point that one cannot tell whether it's certified, bona fide, one-and-only, AA, or a spin off. I would hate to hear of people who attend "wannabe" AA meetings thinking they are real, honestly working those programs, and then telling a zillion people that AA doesn't work. I agree that no one should call themselves AA if they are not AA. I don't disagree with either position.

I was researching on the web regarding AA literature on speaker guidelines when I came across a really ugly article about AA which almost seemed to describe AA as a religious cult. Well I wasn't having ANY of that. I was setting those heathens straight!!!! I spent 3 hours of my Saturday morning reprimanding and educating those who commented negatively about AA. I also wrote a note for the author of the article which contained the following statement: " In order to accurately make qualifying comments on the program of AA, one must read the literature, interview AA members, attend a good amount of AA meetings, and listen diligently to AA speakers. The fact that you are so ignorant on a subject about which you choose to write is appalling. You seem to be a very well educated man. You have a knack for writing. Maybe someday you will become a GOOD writer, doing adequate research on your subjects...." Okay. I know you are all smiling by now, but wait for it!!!!! The article and comments were posted in 2007. 3 hours people. Yep.

In my AA youth, I am slowly learning through these painful lessons just how small my hoola hoop really is and I cannot change the world's views on anything. It's a big world. We will always have differing opinions, arguments, and probably will never understand how those, whose opinions differ from our own, think. Man I am glad I don't have to be responsible for so much anymore. Whew!! Today I try to live by example, putting my best sober foot forward and helping those who ask. I mess up a whole lot, but I make sure the lesson to be learned is not overlooked.

Now that I have sufficiently derailed the topic, and have hopefully inspired a smile or two, I'll be on my way.
XOX
"Talk doesn't cook rice."
~ Chinese proverb
Cristy99
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Patsy© » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:19 am

rondam wrote:I have never heard of prime time AA. From what I'm reading here, it sounds like it deviates from our traditions and our primary purpose, not to mention that they have enclosed the previously mentioned disclaimer about their meetings.

I may not know a lot, but this appears to be a branch off of AA, and that is not ok. That is something that we must watch out for.

Hi Rondam and Welcome.

I am complete agreement with your statement above. I do believe that those who are well versed in the 12 Traditions will understand completely what you have shared.

Personally, I have worked very hard to read, study and to understand AA Traditions. I have also tried to pass on what was passed to me from those who came long long before I did. Putting all that aside, at the Primetime website, the claim is that Bob Anderson is the Founder of AA Prime time and that it was his writings, in his book, that has helped thousands to recover from Alcoholism, Addiction and other Obsessive Behaviors.

Now, I don't think one has to be a genius IN AA to realize that Alcoholics Anonymous has 2 Co-Founders, Bill Wilson and Dr. Bob Smith. Anyone who wishes to do the research will see that Fact.

They will also see the Fact that what Bob Anderson from Primetime did, was to steal the AA name to make money off it, by claiming that Primetime is part of AA. ITS NOT....and if you look at his book and the website, what they have done with the theft of the name "AA", was done in order to get as many customers as they could to buy the book and also have these customers attend their gatherings.

Fear? Nope, I just find it disgusting that they would do that, and I find it sad that so many AA members have been duped.

I can share this with you, that I am also very grateful that there are AA members like yourself Rondam and many many others who see it and know that what Bob Anderson and Primetime have done.... is nothing less than pure Theft.

I will not be back to this thread, because I truly believe that if I do, then Brock and Blue Moon will have a cardiac event! :lol:
Patsy©
Forums Contributor

Postby Cristy99 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:47 am

Patsy wrote:
Putting all that aside, at the Primetime website, the claim is that Bob Anderson is the Founder of AA Prime time and that it was his writings, in his book, that has helped thousands to recover from Alcoholism, Addiction and other Obsessive Behaviors.

Ahhhhhhh....now that changes things!!!

Get a rope!!!
"Talk doesn't cook rice."
~ Chinese proverb
Cristy99
Forums Enthusiast

PreviousNext

Return to If It Doesn't Fit Anywhere Else