Primetime aa

Got an issue with someone or something? Want to whine a little? Here's the place to do it, or to get to know folks, or ask those questions that don't fit anywhere else.

Re: Primetime aa

Postby Brock » Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:50 am

Thank you Sue for joining e-AA, and giving us the benefit of your experience, in my book the experience of attending their meeting, trumps speculation any day.

I don't wish to continue this discussion at any length, but will repeat something I said before, the line which Patsy keeps using from the primetime website to discredit them - "This is NOT an official or approved AA Meeting list, and is not to be confused with the AA Meeting Directory," and highlited in pretty colors. For my money this shows that they are trustworthy and true to the AA principles, if they did not put that disclaimer, while using an 'unofficial' list, then I would see her point. It's a case of people being honest, and still being discredited for telling the truth, in this case the truth doesn't seem to set them free at all.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
User avatar
Brock
Forums Coordinator
 
Posts: 3162
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:45 pm

Re: Primetime aa

Postby Patsy© » Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:19 am

The Original Poster shared:
Soberguy27 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:49 pm
Ok, I am.a.little confused by this new group in my area. I checked out one primetime website and they said they were.not.afiliated with aa yet they call themselves aa and use the aa symbol.

Soberguy may be able to use the information, as he is the one who originally posted that he was confused.


Brock wrote: I don't wish to continue this discussion at any length, but will repeat something I said before, the line which Patsy keeps using from the primetime website to discredit them - "This is NOT an official or approved AA Meeting list, and is not to be confused with the AA Meeting Directory," and highlited in pretty colors. For my money this shows that they are trustworthy and true to the AA principles, if they did not put that disclaimer, while using an 'unofficial' list, then I would see her point. It's a case of people being honest, and still being discredited for telling the truth, in this case the truth doesn't seem to set them free at all.


Quote Brock:
I really don't want to discuss this anymore, the opinions are miles apart.


You did share that you don't wish to continue this discussion at any length and yet? ... It looks like you have really latched onto what I post.

Yes, I keep using Primetime's own disclaimer, because its what they said about themselves. I wonder why what I share about what Primetime printed on their own website about themselves..... bothers you to this degree?

I am not sure why when I am sharing with someone else, that you or another here, seem completely unable to not mention my name or proceed to try to demean me? Where I attend AA, it would be suggested that you talk with your sponsor...but that might be different in other locations.
Failed 12 Step Call? Not if we walk away sober!
User avatar
Patsy©
Forums Contributor
 
Posts: 476
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 5:04 pm
Location: Boston, MA

Re: Primetime aa

Postby Brock » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:17 am

I am not sure why when I am sharing with someone else, that you or another here, seem completely unable to not mention my name or proceed to try to demean me?

I don't believe that I have said anything with the intention of demeaning you Patsy, if I have I sincerely apologize.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
User avatar
Brock
Forums Coordinator
 
Posts: 3162
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:45 pm

Re: Primetime aa

Postby SueScan » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:27 am

Patsy© wrote:Good morning Sue,

I am from the Eastern Seaboard, from Boston, MA to be exact... and since my first day in AA, Young Peoples, Womens and Mens AA meetings have been going strong, never questioned.


"This is NOT an official or approved AA Meeting list, and is not to be confused with the AA Meeting Directory."


Ok. First. I was not intending to insight an argument and a east coast vs west coast idea. I live in Boston as well and my home group is in Brighton! When I was talking about those meetings on the eastern seaboard I was talking about and area in the mid-eastern seaboard that I will not call out on this web site. Additionally, yes, back in the 80's we did fight the stigma of Young People's meetings. I was there and involved in it. I don't speak out of opinion, I speak from first hand knowledge. I was an officer on the committee for the 1987 ICYPAA in Boston and that has also gone through its days of people challenging whether or not it is AA. I lived it, it wasn't a dream.
The statement about the meeting list is just that. It is saying it is not to be confused with AA's meeting directory. That's all.
There is a Primetime meeting that is held in Nashua NH on Sunday nights. It only takes 35 minutes to get there from Boston proper. They have a different format - that is it!!! You are welcome to take a ride up and check it out. They will welcome you just like any other group as I described earlier.
I do apologize if you took my post to be confrontational, it wasn't meant to do that. I was sharing my experience, strength and hope. Have a great day.
SueScan
Forums Newcomer
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:21 pm

Re: Primetime aa

Postby Patsy© » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:45 pm

Brock wrote:
I am not sure why when I am sharing with someone else, that you or another here, seem completely unable to not mention my name or proceed to try to demean me?

I don't believe that I have said anything with the intention of demeaning you Patsy, if I have I sincerely apologize.


Brock, I also apologize if I have said or done anything to upset you. That was never my intention... I have always respected you and have become very fond of you. There is much we can simply agree to disagree. I never thought you were trying to demean me, it was the other one that I mentioned! It just seemed that my name was being brought up in posts and as the start of a thread!

I love ya Brock! :lol:
Failed 12 Step Call? Not if we walk away sober!
User avatar
Patsy©
Forums Contributor
 
Posts: 476
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 5:04 pm
Location: Boston, MA

Re: Primetime aa

Postby Patsy© » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:55 pm

SueScan wrote:
Patsy© wrote:Good morning Sue,

I am from the Eastern Seaboard, from Boston, MA to be exact... and since my first day in AA, Young Peoples, Womens and Mens AA meetings have been going strong, never questioned.


"This is NOT an official or approved AA Meeting list, and is not to be confused with the AA Meeting Directory."


Ok. First. I was not intending to insight an argument and a east coast vs west coast idea. I live in Boston as well and my home group is in Brighton! When I was talking about those meetings on the eastern seaboard I was talking about and area in the mid-eastern seaboard that I will not call out on this web site. Additionally, yes, back in the 80's we did fight the stigma of Young People's meetings. I was there and involved in it. I don't speak out of opinion, I speak from first hand knowledge. I was an officer on the committee for the 1987 ICYPAA in Boston and that has also gone through its days of people challenging whether or not it is AA. I lived it, it wasn't a dream.
The statement about the meeting list is just that. It is saying it is not to be confused with AA's meeting directory. That's all.
There is a Primetime meeting that is held in Nashua NH on Sunday nights. It only takes 35 minutes to get there from Boston proper. They have a different format - that is it!!! You are welcome to take a ride up and check it out. They will welcome you just like any other group as I described earlier.
I do apologize if you took my post to be confrontational, it wasn't meant to do that. I was sharing my experience, strength and hope. Have a great day.


Ok. First. I was not intending to insight an argument and a east coast vs west coast idea.

I have no idea where you came up with that one Sue ...perhaps you didn't even read my post? But ok :)


Sue, I will simply stand by what I shared, it is my own experience. And my experience wasn't a dream either....I lived it! I find it puzzling that you say there was such a challenge and a stigma in 1987 regarding whether YPAA, was part of Alcoholics Anonymous. YPAA has been having their AA Conference every single year since 1958.
https://www.icypaa.org/icypaa-archives


The statement about the meeting list is just that. It is saying it is not to be confused with AA's meeting directory. That's all.

The statement about the meeting list is just that?? Sorry, but if Primetime is stating that their meeting list is not official or an approved AA meeting list and shouldn't be confused with AA's meeting directory....THAT actually says quite a lot, for instance, it says that they are not AA.

No need to apologize Sue, I didn't take anything that you shared to be confrontational. You have your experience from back then and I have mine from back then. Having said that, I do find it strange that you only signed up today, your first day here...and you came immediately to this thread to have a say. It might just be me, but I find that very very strange indeed!

Have a great day to you too Sue..
Failed 12 Step Call? Not if we walk away sober!
User avatar
Patsy©
Forums Contributor
 
Posts: 476
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 5:04 pm
Location: Boston, MA

Re: Primetime aa

Postby Brock » Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:41 pm

On Friday I posted this -
by Brock » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:14 pm
I am very interested in this subject, and since none of the websites I saw had contact us type options, I asked to join the face book site 'Primetime Is Now.' Some members there promptly replied to the questions I asked, I have copied most of their responses here, since these might be of interest to members of e-AA.

As a courtesy to the members there I said that some of the replies would be posted to our site, and gave the link to this topic. It is possible Sue is a member of that site, and was therefore encouraged by me to look at ours, or perhaps it's just one of those things which I believe God has a hand in, she may have checked e-AA and saw something she had experience in, either way we are glad to have her.

Some replies to my query on their face book site are still coming in, one recent comment may throw some light on why the web site states non affiliation to AA, it says this -
One last thing Bruce, our dear friend John Sarley pays out-of-pocket every year to keep our website going. His public statement on that website is that we are not affiliated with AA because it's not a website that central office owns or pays for. That doesn't mean that we are not an AA meeting . But what it does mean is that John Sarley is a very generous guy wanting to help a lot of people worldwide for fun and for free....

I will confess that part of the reason I have been very vocal in defending them, apart from my honest belief that they are above board, is that having given the link, I expected some of their members may have looked in on what we were saying, they can read this without joining the site. And while they were getting some negative comments from one side, I felt I needed to act as a sort of defense council on their behalf, having exposed them and their group to our topic in the first place.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
User avatar
Brock
Forums Coordinator
 
Posts: 3162
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:45 pm

Re: Primetime aa

Postby kdub720 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:36 pm

This a mega confusing discussion. I started reading and it all was fine, then everyone started speaking to the degree of what was right and wrong. often according to the Big Book. as I like the Big Book, it is not gospel. It is a great foundation. I have not looked at this PrimTime thing, yet I imagine it is there to help. If they are selling something it is wrong. But if it is there to help us in recovery like this sight it is great. I d not go to Traditional AA meatings because I am interested in recovery, not people telling me what to do, or whats right and or wrong int their opinion. All I know is I will not be manipulated by people or booze. I seek the truth through recovery. I believe in the bible as gospel and I read the big book. I do not use the Big Book as Gospel. This was a wild post that I will continue to read and think about.
kdub720
Forums Enthusiast
 
Posts: 166
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:03 pm

Re: Primetime aa

Postby Soberguy27 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:51 pm

Hey folks, seems this topic needed to be discussed. Let me say that as the one who brought this up, I have no issue with their message and them trying to help alcoholics or even in their format. My issue was them using the AA name and symbol when they really weren't an aa meeting. Like I have said, I've been sober over 27 years and don't know of any aa meetings that their own website promotong their own way of doing aa. They almost come off to me as acting as if they are group therapy. Anyway, my issue is not with their message but whether they are indeed a meeting of alcoholics anonymous. I have attended meetings in NA and have never seen this kinda thing there. They just seem to come off as some sort a specialty aa therefore setting themselves apart from aa as a whole. Just my thoughts.
Soberguy27
Forums Enthusiast
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:29 am

Re: Primetime aa

Postby SueScan » Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:14 pm

Sue, I will simply stand by what I shared, it is my own experience. And my experience wasn't a dream either....I lived it! I find it puzzling that you say there was such a challenge and a stigma in 1987 regarding whether YPAA, was part of Alcoholics Anonymous. YPAA has been having their AA Conference every single year since 1958.
(Moderators Note - Sorry but the link to the YPAA has been removed, we only allow links to aa.org sites).

Hi Patsy, my experience in YPAA was my experience. I'm sorry you find it puzzling that I experienced that challenge. Maybe you lived in an area that didn't challenge it. That's great. We did experience this on the North Shore with oldtimers constantly questioning it. Our committee worked very hard with the Area Committee and Central Service to change this. I know ICYPAA has been having their conference since 1958 but that doesn't mean everyone accepted it, at least in the areas we as a committee did the work in. I don't need the website. I attended 10 of the conferences in my early years and have attended the last 6 as a place for those of us who met in the 80's to reunite from all across the country. I also continue to support the current YP's effort to bring the conference back to Boston. Yes, I am defending that position because it is very near and dear to my heart and continues to be. If you experienced the YPAA movement in Massachusetts, we must know one another.

The statement about the meeting list is just that. It is saying it is not to be confused with AA's meeting directory. That's all.

The statement about the meeting list is just that?? Sorry, but if Primetime is stating that their meeting list is not official or an approved AA meeting list and shouldn't be confused with AA's meeting directory....THAT actually says quite a lot, for instance, it says that they are not AA.

Let's just politely agree to disagree.

Having said that, I do find it strange that you only signed up today, your first day here...and you came immediately to this thread to have a say. It might just be me, but I find that very very strange indeed!

The reason I came into the group today is because I happen to be in Los Angeles this weekend and when I am here I attend Primetime meetings. I wanted to share that I too did not understand it until I went to one. I shared that I had brought it to one of the Trustees of Alcoholics Anonymous attention and there didn't seem to be a problem with it. I brought it to my service sponsor who is the current Delegate for Eastern Mass to the General Service Conference and she didn't see a problem with it. I shared that because someone said they had contacted New York. That was all. Last night when we were out fellowshipping after the meeting the topic came up that there was a question on the Primetime Facebook page about this topic and there was a link to this discussion group. I started reading the discussion and had some thoughts on it and added those thoughts. I then responded to your post because it felt like you were attacking what I said and I wanted to clarify it. So that is the reason I came to this thread. Not sure what is strange about that.
SueScan
Forums Newcomer
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:21 pm

Re: Primetime aa

Postby SueScan » Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:21 pm

Primetime is not the only AA Group who has a website.
I believe the Pacific Group in LA has one and I know the Beacon Group (offshoot of the Pacific Group) has one in Boston. [link removed by moderator]
It is a very similar format.
SueScan
Forums Newcomer
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:21 pm

Re: Primetime aa

Postby Chelle » Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:58 pm

I have never heard of primetime aa, so I checked it out. That whole "contempt prior to investigation" thing. I found it to be quite powerful stuff.
User avatar
Chelle
Forums Contributor
 
Posts: 208
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:12 am
Location: Midwest US

Re: Primetime aa

Postby Patsy© » Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:01 pm

SueScan wrote:Primetime is not the only AA Group who has a website.
I believe the Pacific Group in LA has one and I know the Beacon Group (offshoot of the Pacific Group) has one in Boston. [link removed by moderator]
It is a very similar format.



Hi Sue, I am from the Northshore also... and yes, we can agree to disagree. :D


Know what I find that is absolute insanity at its best? For the moderators here to not know, recognize or look up to find that YPAA IS at the aa.org site and is a genuine part of Alcoholics Anonymous! So if only aa.org sites are allowed, then please....go to the genuine AA site and there you will see that YPAA is most certainly a part of aa.org!

Yes Sue, the Beacon group in Boston does have a website, as many AA groups all over the world do.....however, not one genuine AA Group website has a disclaimer stating that they are not official or approved, and not to be confused with the AA meeting Directory.

Actually, I think its unbelievable that THIS SITE called e-aa.org... doesn't recognize genuine AA when they see it.....but they are more than willing to look up, find out and give great Kudos to a website called PrimeTime, which is not AA! :lol:

(Moderators Note - Sorry but the link to the YPAA has been removed, we only allow links to aa.org sites).

link removed by moderator]
Failed 12 Step Call? Not if we walk away sober!
User avatar
Patsy©
Forums Contributor
 
Posts: 476
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 5:04 pm
Location: Boston, MA

Re: Primetime aa

Postby Patsy© » Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:05 pm

Chelle wrote:I have never heard of primetime aa, so I checked it out. That whole "contempt prior to investigation" thing. I found it to be quite powerful stuff.


Alcohol and drug rehab websites can also appear to be quite powerful stuff....however, they are NOT Alcoholics Anonymous either!
Failed 12 Step Call? Not if we walk away sober!
User avatar
Patsy©
Forums Contributor
 
Posts: 476
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 5:04 pm
Location: Boston, MA

Re: Primetime aa

Postby SueScan » Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:24 pm

I want to thank the moderator for adding me to this site. I'm sure I am going to find many of its topics very interesting. I'm glad I stumbled upon it the way I did. I only ask that if people live in the LA area, or even NH area, you try one of these meetings before criticizing it. As I said in my original post, I had my reservations prior to attending my first one. It was just what I needed at that point in my recovery. I had reservations before I attended my first Big Book Step Study meeting as well, went, and decided that one just wasn't for me. It is still AA but has a different format and many of my fellow recovering alcoholics find it very helpful. It's not up to me to question it.
I also want to thank the moderator for being very respectful and non-confrontational with his question on the Primetime FB page and allowing members to give him the information he needed. Primetime isn't for everyone, but for those of us who do belong to this AA group, it is very helpful in our recovery. Thank you.
SueScan
Forums Newcomer
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:21 pm

PreviousNext

Return to If It Doesn't Fit Anywhere Else

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests