Primetime aa

Got an issue with someone or something? Want to whine a little? Here's the place to do it, or to get to know folks, or ask those questions that don't fit anywhere else.

Primetime aa

Postby Soberguy27 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:49 am

Ok, I am.a.little confused by this new group in my area. I checked out one primetime website and they said they were.not.afiliated with aa yet they call themselves aa and use the aa symbol. I called my local general service office and they didn't have an issue with them and even have.their meetimgs.listed in the meeting guide. Now I don't have an issue with meetings that are more focussed but these meetings seem to have their own website and are at least to me an offshoot of aa. My question is are they actually an aa group and are allowed to use the symbol of aa?
If they are then I have no issue but need to know if aa meetings (at least in my area) should be promoting these meetings. I am just thinking of the traditions and wanting to keep whole aa as I have known it and that has kept me sober for over 27 years.
Your thoughts are appreciated.
Soberguy27
Forums Enthusiast

Re: Primetime aa

Postby Brock » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:36 am

Welcome to e-AA Soberguy, and thanks for this topic and questions.

I had never heard of primetime AA until now, I will reserve my opinion on whether they are actually an AA group, and the use of the symbol until I can look further into it. I did Google it, and on the surface it appears to be something useful, as you say more focused, in their case on spirituality. There is a long you tube video on it I will give a listen to, for the benefit of others who may also not know of their existence, I will put up the 'mission statement' of two such groups I looked up -

1. The purpose of the Primetime AA meetings is to talk about the reason to come to Alcoholics Anonymous; to expose alcoholism not just as a word, but as a living mind-powered disease; how the disease appears and functions in our lives today in order to deepen our awareness of what we are up against.

Alcoholism is called “ism” because it is alive and functioning and needs to be treated. We discuss here strictly the disease as it manifests in each of our own personal lives. The way our behavior is this day. The way we react or look at people, places and things.

We do not talk about drunkalogues, yesterday’s problems or blaming other people. We talk only about looking inwardly, describing how self behaves in the day that we are in.

2. The purpose of attending an AA meeting is to find God. The reason to stay at an AA meeting is to practice the application of spiritual principles to become the embodiment of God consciousness. Spiritual treatment for the disease of alcoholism can be found at only a few Alcoholics Anonymous meetings.

"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby Roberth » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:26 pm

Hello Soberguy27, My name is Robert and I am a Los Angeles alcoholic. I haven’t heard of Primetime AA until your post so I won’t speculate what Primetime is about. I will respond a couple of things. Just in case you are wondering I have been sober for over 25 year and the last 18 years I have been involved with the General Service of AA at the group, district and Area levels.
I will start with the symbol. If you are referring to the circle and triangle, although it is common thought of as AA it is not used exclusive. It no longer appears on our literature and in fact no longer is on the entrance of the General Service Office in NY.
As far as being an AA group, basically as long as they honor our Primary purpose and the other traditions they can call themselves an AA group. Each group can and should be autonomous.
Robert
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in pretty, well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming WOW What a ride!!!!
Roberth
Forums Long Timer

Postby Brock » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:14 pm

I am very interested in this subject, and since none of the websites I saw had contact us type options, I asked to join the face book site 'Primetime Is Now.' Some members there promptly replied to the questions I asked, I have copied most of their responses here, since these might be of interest to members of e-AA.

There is one response in bold, which includes the explanation that basically it's an AA group with the name 'Primetime,' operating like any other group. I would welcome a group like this in my area, and would have no problem with it being listed, since we suffer from an abundance of drunkalog, and raised eyebrows when we get 'too spiritual.' Perhaps you can attend a meeting there Soberguy and give us some feedback, once again thanks for posting the questions, I hope the replies settle any misgivings we may have had.
Prime Time is AA. Nothing we do that is not of the 12 steps and 12 traditions and Big Book of AA.

Format is the same, we just keep it about the day we are in
And looking at our mind and our ego and how that plays a part in who we are and we discuss how to change that by what we do by the tools were given and good luck keep reading on our site you'll learn as you go welcome

Primetime is an autonomous AA group that focuses on the emotional sobriety factors of sobriety, and trying not to talk about drunkalogues and how we drank. It's heavy emphasis on God, focusing on steps 1, 2 and 3, and becoming aware of how untreated alcoholism, infantile ego, and extreme self centeredness is really the problem, and that liquor was but a symptom.

From the Nashua Primetime we are 100% AA through and through. Just focused on emotional sobriety while letting go of the past and seeking a meaningful relationship with our HP.

Prime time is the name of our AA home group , just like the Pacific group or the Atlantic group or the fellowship of the Spirit etc. . We pay our dues and fall of the traditions and read the steps and traditions and every meeting . I don't know that Primetime is for everyone but it certainly is for me . It leaves out a lot of the fluff and bullshit and drama . Without a drunk a log we just get down to what's wrong and what the solution is . Thank you for inquiring .
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby Soberguy27 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:13 pm

I did contact world service office in New York by email and am currently waiting for a reply. What I have seen of primetime almost to me sounds like group therapy which alcoholics anonymois is not. I may check one of these meetings oit for curiosity sake but the AA that I know has kept me sober and happy now for over 27years now and like the old saying goes " of it ain't broken , don't fix it". My only real issue here for me is that my home group annouces primetime meetings during our announcements. If primetime is not an aa approved group then they can't use the aa name and should be considered an outside issue
Soberguy27
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Patsy© » Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:10 am

Soberguy27 wrote:I did contact world service office in New York by email and am currently waiting for a reply. What I have seen of primetime almost to me sounds like group therapy which alcoholics anonymois is not. I may check one of these meetings oit for curiosity sake but the AA that I know has kept me sober and happy now for over 27years now and like the old saying goes " of it ain't broken , don't fix it". My only real issue here for me is that my home group annouces primetime meetings during our announcements. If primetime is not an aa approved group then they can't use the aa name and should be considered an outside issue

Bill W. warned us of this, and it is happening. This website has its owner and its retreats that they are selling. Sorry, but AA doesn't sell Retreats. I agree with you Soberguy, that this is NOT Alcoholics Anonymous, they are simply using the AA name to make money. There is another strange group called AAAgnostica, and at their website, they claim to be part of Alcoholics Anonymous and they ARE NOT.

At their website they are using the AA name, selling their own literature, books, recordings and all kinds of material. They have also changed the wording in the Big Book, the Twelve and Twelve and some of the AA Traditions to fit what they are about AND they call themselves "Alcoholics Anonymous"

I did contact Alcoholics Anonymous World Services and I did get a reply, that they would investigate this, but would not be able to tell me the outcome. The person I contacted at A.A. World Services is below:

Darlene G. Smith

Intellectual Property Administrator

A.A. World Services, Inc.

(212) 870-3538 (direct line)

(212) 870-3003 (fax)

Its amazing to me that they get away with this, but I am with you Soberguy, these are not part of Alcoholics Anonymous, never were and never will be.
Failed 12 Step Call? Not if we walk away sober!
Patsy©
Forums Contributor

Postby Brock » Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:21 am

I am not here to defend Primetime or any other AA group, and we all can have different opinions on matters like this, once we are civil we can state our views here.

These to my mind are offshoots of mainline AA, Agnostica has been around for many years, and has been recommend to some who have visited this site, anyone who came here dead set against any type of God. So they changed some wording to exclude God and higher power, and have not over the years been particularly 'successful,' because an alcoholic of the type the big book describes needs the spiritual program.

That same spiritual program was the backbone of the AA our founders had in mind, any warnings from Bill might have been aimed at groups like Agnostica. Over the years we have accepted atheists, agnostics, anyone who wanted what we had, as we should under tradition 3. And I want to believe that if the founders were around today, especially Dr. Bob, he would be shocked at the way mainline AA to a large extent, has diluted the message to not offend those who don't believe. It seems God is almost a dirty word, from the looks you get if you say it in some meetings.

My limited research has shown that Primetime is not a new concept, it goes back to 1992, when a regular AA member Bob Anderson felt he wasn’t getting the relief promised and still felt ill at ease. He wanted a group where spirituality would be foremost, and in particular recognized a close relationship between ego, and the troubles most alcoholics have in life. All of AA's steps were designed to deflate our ego, it states that at the start of #5 in the 12 & 12, and spiritual books are more and more pointing out troubles with ego as a major stumbling block to happiness. If mainline AA has shied away from the strong spiritual approach of old, they have nobody but themselves to blame, when groups with a more traditional outlook are formed. And far from being upset, I think Bill and Bob might be those clapping the loudest.
Sorry, but AA doesn't sell Retreats.

Something must be wrong with this old computer, I am seeing AA retreats with a cost attached, and of course it can't be free, calling it a donation rather than a cost is semantics. The cheapest AA one I see is 175 for a weekend, Hazelden run theirs for 190, and I see a Primetime Fri to Sun at a nice looking location for 225. I think pointing fingers and saying - “they are simply using the AA name to make money,” is a cheap shot not supported by evidence. The fact that they have been quietly going about their business over many years, so much so that most members here never even heard about them, says to me that they are certainly not a profitable organization, if they were they would market it better. I think we in turn should go quietly about attending whatever type of meeting best suits our needs, not seeing bogymen where there are none.
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby Patsy© » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:38 am

Sorry, but AA doesn't sell Retreats.
Something must be wrong with this old computer, I am seeing AA retreats with a cost attached, and of course it can't be free, calling it a donation rather than a cost is semantics. The cheapest AA one I see is 175 for a weekend, Hazelden run theirs for 190, and I see a Primetime Fri to Sun at a nice looking location for 225. I think pointing fingers and saying - “they are simply using the AA name to make money,” is a cheap shot not supported by evidence. The fact that they have been quietly going about their business over many years, so much so that most members here never even heard about them, says to me that they are certainly not a profitable organization, if they were they would market it better. I think we in turn should go quietly about attending whatever type of meeting best suits our needs, not seeing bogymen where there are none.

There are no offshoots of Alcoholics Anonymous. Alcoholics Anonymous is ALL inclusive, never exclusive. There are many AA groups that are IN AA...who are agnostic.....they ARE PART of AA. Take a good look at the AA Agnostica site, particularly the part where they were ousted due to their outside issues.....many many outside issues and what they did with the 12 steps, the 12 Traditions and the Big Book.

Please, read the AA Service Manual. It takes 3/4 of AA groups World Wide to give written permission to change even ONE word.
AA Agnostic has their own literature, produced by them, their own books, produced and sold by them. They are NOT part of AA and never have been. Its amazing that you would think that AA Agnostica changing AA's steps, traditions and Big Book is acceptable.

Go to aa.org and type in AA Agnostica....and you will see that nothing is there at the genuine site about them, because they are not part of Alcoholics Anonymous.

People run AA Retreats, not Alcoholics Anonymous. Those people use the AA name, which breaks Tradition 6 among others. AA Retreats can be run by anyone willing to use the AA name, again, breaking Tradition 6 and others....but they are not part of Alcoholics Anonymous.
Patsy©
Forums Contributor

Postby Patsy© » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:07 am

There is one response in bold, which includes the explanation that basically it's an AA group with the name 'Primetime,' operating like any other group. I would welcome a group like this in my area, and would have no problem with it being listed, since we suffer from an abundance of drunkalog, and raised eyebrows when we get 'too spiritual.' Perhaps you can attend a meeting there Soberguy and give us some feedback, once again thanks for posting the questions, I hope the replies settle any misgivings we may have had.
Prime Time is AA. Nothing we do that is not of the 12 steps and 12 traditions and Big Book of AA.

Just a thought, but it puzzles me that any Alcoholics Anonymous Group would have at the bottom of their website the following:

This is NOT an official or approved AA Meeting list, and is not to be confused with the AA Meeting Directory.
Patsy©
Forums Contributor

Postby Brock » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:23 am

Just a thought, but it puzzles me that any Alcoholics Anonymous Group would have at the bottom of their website the following:

This is NOT an official or approved AA Meeting list, and is not to be confused with the AA Meeting Directory.

You really latched on to this topic Patsy, I admire you and latch on to some things I feel are wrong as well.

But I looked at where this is written, under a list of Primetime meetings in a certain area, and all I could think is how honest and upfront of these folks. Actually saying the list is not official or approved by AA, I like them even more now, if they had not said that, we might have reason to doubt their honesty and respect for 'official AA.'
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby Patsy© » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:35 am

Brock wrote:

You really latched on to this topic Patsy, I admire you and latch on to some things I feel are wrong as well.

But I looked at where this is written, under a list of Primetime meetings in a certain area, and all I could think is how honest and upfront of these folks. Actually saying the list is not official or approved by AA, I like them even more now, if they had not said that, we might have reason to doubt their honesty and respect for 'official AA.'

Brock....I latch onto things that will bring AA the way of The Washingtons. That is why we have Traditions to follow. Lets face facts there are many people who are very confused, and think its genuine AA... as you thought before I printed that.

I think that rather than use the word "honest" regarding them......well, its more to the truth that they have this posted in one spot, easily missed. As you and others missed it after saying that you did some good research. If it was honesty they were after, they would have it posted right up front where anyone could read it when immediately clicking into their site. I came across it by accident and only after scrolling down.

The same with the AA Agnostica website.... they have been fighting for years to become part of AA. If you go to their website and click on "Secular AA"...this is what you will find: And the year posted is 2014...however they do have their International AA Convention for this year also. What puzzled me is "Adult Entertainment Inc." what the heck is that?? I can tell you what it ISN'T....It ISN'T Alcoholics Anonymous!

http://waftiaac.org/

WAFT Adult Entertainment Inc.

We Agnostics and Freethinkers International AA Convention | November 6 2014 in Santa Monica, California

“Many Paths to Recovery”

The We Agnostics & Free Thinkers International AA Convention is bringing together in unity a fellowship bound by service to reach the alcoholic still suffering. Our mission is to confirm that everyone can find a path to recovery in the AA program without having to accept anyone else’s beliefs or deny their own.

A second generation of members of We Agnostics of Hollywood, California, are engaging the world-wide community of agnostics, atheists, and freethinkers in Alcoholics Anonymous (AA) around the world to establish the first:

We Agnostics and Freethinkers
International AA Convention

November 6–8, 2014
Unitarian Universalist Community Church
1260 18th Street
Santa Monica, California, 90404 USA

“Be of service. Be a part of history. Come join us!”

Registration

Online Registration is now closed.

Tickets can be purchased at the door.
The cost is $30.00 per day

Our Address
WAFT IAAC LLC
P.O. Box 284, Hollywood, CA 90078
818-836-6054…
Patsy©
Forums Contributor

Postby Brock » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:49 am

I wrote only one short paragraph which included AA Agnostica, I don't defend them, said they weren't 'successful,' and have nothing more to say.

This is only about Primetime. “You and others missed it after saying that you did some good research,” I said “My limited research has shown that Primetime is not a new concept...”

Any group who brings the spirituality of 'old time AA' back, tells members to cool it on the drunkalog, and recognizes that most drinking, and other human problems, are linked to the ego, I say more power to them. I believe it's the fault of 'regular' meetings, being allowed to degenerate to drunkalog, or stories about someones sick cat, and eyebrow raising at the mention of God, that these sort of groups are formed in the first place.
Brock....I latch onto things that will bring AA the way of The Washingtons. That is why we have Traditions to follow. Lets face facts there are many people who are very confused, and think its genuine AA... as you thought before I printed that.

The washingtonians messed up by thinking they could cure every evil in the world, since they were successful with alcoholism, they allowed non alcoholics in, just as many people argue here that it's OK for AA to do. If anyone is sticking to the primary purpose, I give higher marks to primetime AA, (judging on what I know), than the AA I attend, but I really don't want to discuss this anymore, the opinions are miles apart.
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby Patsy© » Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:03 pm

If mainline AA has shied away from the strong spiritual approach of old, they have nobody but themselves to blame, when groups with a more traditional outlook are formed. And far from being upset, I think Bill and Bob might be those clapping the loudest.

Mainline AA? I have no idea what that is....there is only ONE genuine Alcoholics Anonymous in existence.
Bill and Bob would be rolling in their graves to think that instead of AA groups and AA members adhering to and following the 12 Steps, the 12 Traditions and the 12 Concepts, that AA members have decided that a site with the following disclaimer would be accepted as part of Alcoholics Anonymous.

"This is NOT an official or approved AA Meeting list, and is not to be confused with the AA Meeting Directory."

No, I don't see Bill and Bob clapping at all, what I see them doing is shaking their heads in bewilderment at how AA Groups and AA members could have abdicated their responsibility and accountability, not only to the newcomer but to all the lives of those to come.

Any group who brings the spirituality of 'old time AA' back, tells members to cool it on the drunkalog, and recognizes that most drinking, and other human problems, are linked to the ego, I say more power to them. I believe it's the fault of 'regular' meetings, being allowed to degenerate to drunkalog, or stories about someones sick cat, and eyebrow raising at the mention of God, that these sort of groups are formed in the first place.

If AA meetings are degenerating into just drunkalogs or stories about someone's sick cat or eyebrows going up at the mention of God... then SPEAK UP in the AA meeting and the AA group. Call for an AA group inventory, taking that action works to keep the AA group healthy, adhering to the 12 Traditions and Why We AA members are gathered together in the first place.

The washingtonians messed up by thinking they could cure every evil in the world, since they were successful with alcoholism, they allowed non alcoholics in, just as many people argue here that it's OK for AA to do.

The Washingtonians failed to provide any standards at all that were comparable to AA's Twelve Traditions. Because there were no such safeguards for the movement as a whole, it died. Most of the Washingtonians' problems lay in areas now covered in our Traditions, but WE have to speak up, stand up and apply them where they count.... In our AA groups and within AA members....so that AA as a Whole stays in Unity, Service and Recovery. That is OUR responsibility as AA members and AA Groups.

Being a member of an AA Group means that we do not abdicated Our Responsibility by allowing our Primary Purpose and the 12 Traditions to be ignored or worse, not even acknowledged. Whose responsibility is it to speak up and pass on what passed to us by those who came long long before we did?
Patsy©
Forums Contributor

Postby SueScan » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:58 pm

Hi All. I understand your confusion and the fear that Primetime is not AA. I felt the same way when a friend of mine told me about it. I am from the east coast and was visiting and he told me I should give it a try. I was very leery. I have been sober since 1980 and got sober when I was 20. I am also very involved in my Area service and serve as Registrar of my particular Area. I have a service sponsor in addition to a recovery sponsor so I can ask questions like this and get answers and not opinions, because frankly, I just don’t know it all. I can tell you that I lived through the years that young people’s groups were criticized (and often still are). There are areas on the eastern seaboard that don’t consider men’s and women’s meetings real AA.
I finally conceded and attended my first Primetime meeting because how could I judge something I had never tried. They started the meeting with the Serenity Prayer and then their statement about how they don’t talk a lot about drunk-a-logs but the speaker does begin with how he/she came to AA. They talk about alcoholism, ego and self and how the disease effects them in the current day they are in. You can see the meeting format in the Library section of the website. They then read How it Works followed by the preamble. Then it is a meeting like all meetings. They close with the Lord’s Prayer. Sounds like an AA meeting to me. If I go to a Twelve Step meeting, I am expected to talk about the steps. If I go to a Big Book meeting I am expected to talk about the Big Book. If I go to a Primetime meeting I am expected to talk about alcoholism and how alcoholism, ego and self are affecting me in the day I am in.
As for the Retreats, they are not making money on them. The money they charge is the money it costs them to hold the retreat and that is it. It isn’t any different than a YP conference or a sober retreat you may attend. The Retreats go through Steps 1 through 12 in 3 days. Anyone back in the day ever attend a Joe and Charlie weekend? They were AA members who had a way of teaching people about the Big Book that was very effective. Although I never attended one, I am sure they were not done for free.
Primetime is a meeting with a different focus, that’s all. Each group is autonomous and I think you may be pleasantly surprised if you went to one. Maybe it wouldn’t be your thing. I know over the years for me, I haven’t liked every meeting format I went to. If I didn’t like it, I didn’t go back. Oh, and I also told a former Class A Trustee I know personally about Primetime and sent him the website. He didn’t see anything wrong with it.
SueScan
Forums Newcomer

Postby Patsy© » Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:24 am

Good morning Sue,

I am from the Eastern Seaboard, from Boston, MA to be exact... and since my first day in AA, Young Peoples, Womens and Mens AA meetings have been going strong, never questioned.

The young people's groups -- along with young people from regular A.A. groups -- banded together in 1958. They held their first convention at Niagara Falls and the event has been held annually ever since in different cities from coast to coast. They did have resistance, but that was years ago and it no longer exists.

There are many Special Purpose Groups and meetings IN Alcoholics Anonymous....and not one of those AA meetings have the following disclaimer, like Primetime does:
"This is NOT an official or approved AA Meeting list, and is not to be confused with the AA Meeting Directory."

I understand your confusion and the fear that Primetime is not AA.

I am not fearful of Primetime and I am not confused. See, here in Boston we had a mental health facility years ago, who rented space to an AA group. The Mental Health Providers came into the AA meeting and thought it was perfectly ok to talk with their clients at the AA meeting and believed that soliciting clients from the AA meeting was ok. Thank God, the AA Group was healthy, knew, understood, practiced and passed on the AA Traditions back then and it was voted by that AA Group Conscience that we move the AA group. We did, immediately, because the AA Group can bind itself to no one.

I can tell you that I lived through the years that young people’s groups were criticized (and often still are). There are areas on the eastern seaboard that don’t consider men’s and women’s meetings real AA.

I attend at least 3 AA meetings a week face to face, sometimes more when I am working with a newcomer... and I belong to a wonderful AA Home Group, have for 28 years and I have never heard special purpose groups criticized. And all those AA meetings are all listed in the AA meeting list book. Not one of them have the following disclaimer:

Sounds like an AA meeting to me.

"Sounds like" doesn't cut it. There are many meetings of many varieties in Boston, and just because some of the groups sound like an AA meeting, certainly doesn't make them one. Like the mental health facility I mentioned earlier....they had the AA meeting as part of their services in their advertisement in the newspaper. That meeting sounded like an AA meeting, but as soon as the AA Group became affiliated with that Mental Health Facility, the AA Group moved to another location.

Tradition Six (Long Form) - "Problems of money, property, and authority may easily divert us from our primary spiritual aim. We think, therefore, that any considerable property of genuine use to A.A. should be separately incorporated and managed, thus dividing the material from the spiritual. An A.A. group, as such, should never go into business. Secondary aids to A.A. such as clubs or hospitals which require much property or administration, ought to be incorporated and so set apart that, if necessary, they can be freely discarded by the groups. Hence such facilities ought not to use the A.A. name. Their management should be the sole responsibility of those people who financially support them. For clubs, A.A. managers are usually preferred. But hospitals, as well as other places of recuperation, ought to be well outside A.A. - and medically supervised. While an A.A. group may cooperate with anyone, such cooperation ought never to go so far as affiliation or endorsement, actual or implied. An A.A. group can bind itself to no one."

As for the Retreats, they are not making money on them. The money they charge is the money it costs them to hold the retreat and that is it. It isn’t any different than a YP conference or a sober retreat you may attend.

Oh but it is absolutely different in every way. The Retreats put on by Primetime are paid for by charging money, each person pays for their place at the retreat, out of their own pocket. Those retreats are NOT part of the AA and they are not part of any AA Group.

AA doesn't not contribute any money towards them, they are not affiliated with Alcoholics Anonymous at all. In fact, there are many Retreats that are called AA retreats, put on by those who have nothing to do with AA at all, they just use the AA name.

One of my favorite Spiritual Retreats was put on by two wonderful nuns, who used the The Franciscan Center for the weekend. We paid them directly, and there was enough money to fund the airfare, supplies and anything else those two nuns needed to put on this wonderful Spiritual Retreat. The nuns and the Retreats were not and never have been part of Alcoholics Anonymous, because Retreats are an outside issue.

They YP Conference is put on and paid for with the registar tickets that each AA member purchases and funds contributed by AA YP Groups. AA is entirely Self Supporting and under no circumstances are funds accepted by outside sources.
You can look up the YP Conference on the Alcoholics Anonymous website for the dates, times and all the information that one needs in order to attend the International Conference of YP. That is where Money and Spirituality mix...and mix well. :)
You will not find any retreats at the Alcoholics Anonymous website. Because as it states in the AA pamphlet below, AA does not sponsor such gatherings.
https://www.aa.org/assets/en_US/search/ ... -anonymous

Anyone back in the day ever attend a Joe and Charlie weekend? They were AA members who had a way of teaching people about the Big Book that was very effective.

What Joe and Charlie provided was a wonderful Big Book Study, right up until their deaths. And yes, I have not only gone to the Big Book Study on many many occasions, I have also gotten on a plane to Arkansas so that I could speak with Joe and Charlie personally. I spent a good amount of time with Charlie, who was the most wonderful and knowledgable AA member I have ever met in my 28 years of being recovered. I didn't get the chance to spend as much time with Joe, although he did have coffee with Charlie and I.

Charlie was without a doubt extremely knowledgeable about AA history, the Big Book, AA Steps and Traditions. He had no qualms about speaking up and sharing the truth about why our AA groups are failing way more today, then ever before. Those 12 steps and 12 Traditions are not being passed on or practiced as they once were and many AA members today can't tell the difference between the AA Fellowship and the Program of Alcoholics Anonymous.

And THAT is sad, because there are many who are sitting right in AA meeting and they are dying from Untreated Alcoholism... because AA Sponsorship is sorely missing today, the kind of Sponsorship that can bring a newcomer through the 12 steps with Experience, Strength, Hope and in-depth knowledge of the Big Book.

The one thing Charlie says at the beginning of each and every Big Book Study is that they are just two old drunks who have studied the Big Book for years and they are simply passing on what they have learned. They are not gurus and if fact they state it right from the start, that they are not experts and do not speak for AA as a whole and that if anyone can not reconcile anything they say with the Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous, then to simply ignore it.

My first AA sponsor had Joe and Charlie Big Book Study meetings at her house for years, they grew so large that we had to move them to a much larger place. No where in the AA meeting list book would you find this meeting. Its the same as when an AWOL is put on, they are wonderful, however you will never find an AWOL in the AA meetings list book.

Oh, and I also told a former Class A Trustee I know personally about Primetime and sent him the website. He didn’t see anything wrong with it.

He may have not seen anything wrong with it. There are some of us here at this very site, including myself who didn't see the disclaimer that Primetime has. However, the disclaimer is there and Primetime says it about themselves. It is confusing for those who are knowledgeable about AA's Traditions, I can't imagine what a newcomer would think, but it is one way to get their membership up....just make people think its Alcoholics Anonymous...when it isn't.

Patsy©
Forums Contributor

Next

Return to If It Doesn't Fit Anywhere Else