Web Safety

Got an issue with someone or something? Want to whine a little? Here's the place to do it, or to get to know folks, or ask those questions that don't fit anywhere else.

Web Safety

Postby PaigeB » Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:27 am

I have asked the Webteam and any and all tech savvy folks to write a few paragraphs or a full essay on Safety Online for our newcomers in e-aa. Nothing to argue about - just some ES&H and a few tips.
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Re: Web Safety

Postby Thumper » Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:26 pm

Thanks for the push Paige. As Brock will be taking care of Forums this
e-AA fiscal year, he may be the first to chime in regarding the Forums
venue.

Regarding "Online Safety" my first goto documents are owned by the e-AA
chat venue. This is where our peeps are most at risk regarding online
safety.

For that reason, the chat "Monitors" provide careful overwatch 24/7. They
can be visible or invisible during live chats. Chat logs are read,
analyzed, and acted upon almost immediately. This includes all public and
private chats during and after meetings. They keep us safe.

The "Read me First" before entering chat states:

The following are chatroom-specific examples of inappropriate content.
They have been used by what we currently call "monitors" and passed along
informally until now.

* Extended discussions of non-AA programs (see Note 1 in Decorum
Guidelines)

* Recommendations and discussions of what drugs or medications a chatter
should be taking (aka "playing doctor"). "It was realized early on that
A.A. could not solve all the problems people have and long ago chose to
limit its primary purpose to helping people recover from alcoholism only.
Drinking too much is just about the only thing we all have in common and
many fear A.A. would lose its identity and effectiveness if it were to
address problems other than alcoholism.²

* Quoting, just because he or she can, line after line of religious or
other texts, unrelated to any current discussion thread and intended to
disrupt (imagine, for example, trying to chat with a newcomer and every
other line on the screen is a quote from the Bible).

* Harassment or "stalking" of any type.

* "13th Stepping" and extended flirting, or "virtual sex" (see Note 2 in
Decorum Guidelines)

* Sexual innuendo and crude remarks (see Note 3 in Decorums Guidelines)

* Profanity (see Note 4 in Decorum Guidelines)

* Personal attacks.

* Anti-AA (or anti-e-AA Group) remarks and discussions.

* Vulgar or sexual talk in private chat is inappropriate. Logs are read,
including private chats.

The referenced "chat decorum" doc is here:
http://www.e-aa.org/eaa.php?pg_id=23 which covers most of the "online
safety" issues plus. I would expect that the Forums has the same level of
expectations.
Thumper
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Brock » Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:25 pm

Thank you Thumper. I have served as a moderator here in the past, and as you mentioned will have the privilege to serve as the coordinator from the beginning of next month. Often the moderators remind users of the items listed in the FAQ section at the top of each page, and also the guidelines under 'Start Here.' viewtopic.php?f=10&t=20141 Moderators go to some length to remind users that full names are not used, and private links are not allowed. Also reminders are included with private messages, that anything out of the ordinary friendly AA chat should be reported to the forum/site administrators, a list of administrators is found at the bottom of each page with a tag marked “The Team.” 

All in all I believe the forums, and e-AA in general, to be a very safe site to any member using a bit of common sense. If someone enters personal information and links which expose then to possible danger, the moderators will take corrective action when it is noticed. Our forum monitors are not always online, and the onus remains on individual posters to be aware of the guidelines for their own safety.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby Thumper » Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:09 pm

Thanks. Between the two references listed here, all should know that e-AA is promoted as a safe and sound recovery option.

http://www.e-aa.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=20141
http://www.e-aa.org/eaa.php?pg_id=23
Thumper
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Thumper » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:01 am

=surprised Poof. Discussion over in Members. I hope in continues here.

Quoting Paige: Write a few paragraphs or a full essay on Online for our newcomers in e-aa. Nothing to argue about - just some ES&H and a few tips.

I was pretty sure we were doing that both here and in Members where she repeated the same request. Outside of what Brock added, I just suggest that all of us be diligent and watch each other's back. If it looks like someone is going sideways, report it.

I don't spend much time here, but I feel safe.

Peace Out,
Dale
Thumper
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Noels » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:40 pm

Hi Dale where is the 'members discussion ' please? I've never heard of it and might check it out?
Thanks
Noels
There is only Love
Noels
Forums Old Timer

Postby Blue Moon » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:09 pm

In a general sense, we're each responsible for our own safety online. Just as I'm responsible for being safe driving my car... I look both ways before driving onto a road, try not to tailgate, sit up when near a school or other possible surprises, and I wouldn't give my insurance, registration, home address and phone number to anyone simply because they ask for it. This doesn't stop you from driving like an idiot, but it minimizes my risk of getting tangled up in your behaviour.

Online, I make prudent use of email filters. I have more than 1 email address so I can keep one aside for "spam" and other junk. I set my online profile in forums like this to determine how or where I can be contacted. In Facebook etc. I look at my security settings. I don't share my phone number, full name, address, or other identifying info. I use a good "password manager" application (in my case, Dashlane, but there are several good ones out there). I use a well-rated antivirus application, and keep my computer's scans and subscription up-to-date. I avoid opening unexpected email-attachments, even from people I know (because their own email accounts might be hijacked). I sometimes run an antispyware scan on my PC, and let it fix any issues.

This is mostly common-sense stuff, and all things that the individual can do or take ownership of, and it has nothing to do with AA. If in doubt, I suggest talking to a local computer tech. Coming here for computer advice would be like asking at a f2f meeting about how to fix my car's stuck window. Therefore I suggest we move this topic to a non-AA / non-newcomer forum.
Ian S
AKA Blue Moon
Blue Moon
Site Admin

Postby Noels » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:14 pm

Sjieeesshhh Ian. I think I'm pretty 'sharp ' but every single thing you mentioned I have no clue of. I've had our computer guy out a while ago and asked him specifically to check for hacking. He said he found nothing yet I'm sure my computer is hacked. Was and still is. I am not technically orientated at all and I mean AT ALL! !!! SO what do people like me do in a situation like this when there is nowhere to turn to anymore? Please share your wisdom and experience with me. Much appreciated
Noels
There is only Love
Noels
Forums Old Timer

Postby PaigeB » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:17 pm

Change you facebook password and see if that helps. It worked for my mom.
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby Noels » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:40 pm

I don't use Facebook. Haven't for months now
There is only Love
Noels
Forums Old Timer

Postby Blue Moon » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:42 pm

Noels wrote:SO what do people like me do in a situation like this when there is nowhere to turn to anymore?

Well, I'd keep "good" antivirus installed and up-to-date (eg Bitdefender Total Security). I also sometimes install and run some antispyware software (eg spybot), although Bitdefender seems very good at keeping that sort of thing out. Your computer hired-help should be able to get those things running (and be sure to uninstall any other antivirus that could conflict). Worst-case scenario, reinstall the system from scratch (or get one new) and get the antivirus/security running on that before surfing any websites or opening any emails etc.
Ian S
AKA Blue Moon
Blue Moon
Site Admin

Postby Noels » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:39 am

Thanks Ian, ill speak to my boss and see if we can get the computer guy out to do all this.
Much much appreciated. Have a lovely day,
Noels xxx
There is only Love
Noels
Forums Old Timer

Postby PaigeB » Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:39 pm

Noels wrote:I don't use Facebook. Haven't for months now

A hacker may have gotten your email from there. You can go back in change your Password and ask Facebook to delete your account. But I would change my password first.
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Return to If It Doesn't Fit Anywhere Else