Jeep Group for Recovery

Got an issue with someone or something? Want to whine a little? Here's the place to do it, or to get to know folks, or ask those questions that don't fit anywhere else.

Jeep Group for Recovery

Postby jmendez » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:23 pm

I'm in a Jeep group of 'normal' people. I like being in the group, but many times alcohol becomes a close second to why we get together. I understand that it's just part of the social scene and they drink responsibility, for the most people.

There are times, though, that I wish I was in a group where the focus would be recovery and the Jeep could be a tool used to facilitate recovery. For example, the group would go camping and have hikes, meals together and meetings at night. Or maybe just get together other evenings of the week for dinner and do what other Jeep groups do, just without drinking.

Occasionally, I see other Jeeps in the parking lots of meetings and I want to leave a card or something to invite them to make a Jeep group for recovery.

OK - so before I take any action, I offer this to the 'collective' for your thoughts.
jmendez
Forums Newcomer

Re: Jeep Group for Recovery

Postby Spirit Flower » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:39 am

I used to belong to a sober motorcycle club. We camped alot and had campfire meetings.
...a score card reading zero...
Spirit Flower
Trusted Servant

Postby positrac » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:17 am

I used to be in several car clubs over the years and initially things were cool and it was other people that would get either drunk and or start heing and sheing that would cause issues in the group. It was fun to hang out with semi like minded car owners until our party's and or eating engagements and then no joy for me.

I am sure sober groups do exist in the Jeep community because crawling and other off road stuff is big doings.
You must live your life from beginning to end: No one else can do it for you.
Hopi Proverb
positrac
Forums Old Timer

Postby JohnDaniels » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:12 am

Thanks folks. I've always loved cars. I also belong to a couple car clubs. One for AMC's including 4x4's. We have a 4x4 Eagle. One for classic Muscle Cars I still drag race an "AMC Machine" as an old fart and one for 1950's Cruisers with our 1959 Ford where we come dressed out like 1950's greasers. You go to a greasers house and they'll welcome you right in with a tv show playing of I Love Luci. They are all fun. These are really good guys just trying to keep the history alive. Hey, anyone wants to join us in the southwest, send me a pm. I 'm on here every few days and I'll get back to you. It goes back for me when I belonged to a car club in the 1960's & early 70's. We had a bad reputation of beating other car clubs up. I don't know why, maybe the time when we were young and stupid met up with another car club and "someone" got out and beat the other guy up. Who knows.
But we changed our image, (eventually we even grew up) then we used to stop and help people change their flat tires, then give them a card saying they've just been assisted by (name of our car club)

I know what you mean though about the drinking. You just need to find the right group of guys. If they want to drink they understand if you don't drink. Take your silent partner with you and you'll be safe.
JohnDaniels
Forums Enthusiast

Postby avaneesh912 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:17 am

We stay grounded in a recovery group and then have association with other groups. Of course we have hard drinkers within the fellowship spoiling it for the ones that need help. But thats a whole different problem to deal with. Like Don P would say AA is a huge family but you need to know to pick the kids and kins to hang out with.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby positrac » Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:30 am

JohnDaniels wrote:Thanks folks. I've always loved cars. I also belong to a couple car clubs. One for AMC's including 4x4's. We have a 4x4 Eagle. One for classic Muscle Cars I still drag race an "AMC Machine" as an old fart and one for 1950's Cruisers with our 1959 Ford where we come dressed out like 1950's greasers. You go to a greasers house and they'll welcome you right in with a tv show playing of I Love Luci. They are all fun. These are really good guys just trying to keep the history alive. Hey, anyone wants to join us in the southwest, send me a pm. I 'm on here every few days and I'll get back to you. It goes back for me when I belonged to a car club in the 1960's & early 70's. We had a bad reputation of beating other car clubs up. I don't know why, maybe the time when we were young and stupid met up with another car club and "someone" got out and beat the other guy up. Who knows.
But we changed our image, (eventually we even grew up) then we used to stop and help people change their flat tires, then give them a card saying they've just been assisted by (name of our car club)

I know what you mean though about the drinking. You just need to find the right group of guys. If they want to drink they understand if you don't drink. Take your silent partner with you and you'll be safe.

AMC Eagle a little throw back! AMC's were pretty fast on the straight tracks and even Bobby Allison ran a Matador in the mid-70's in NASCAR with some success and they raced in the in the AAR/SCCA series.

Greasers, I liked the ole T-buckets and the chopped and channeled Lincoln led sleds, 34 fords cut down with no fenders and hot flathead. I guess I was hatched into the wrong era of time I reckon.
You must live your life from beginning to end: No one else can do it for you.
Hopi Proverb
positrac
Forums Old Timer

Postby kdub720 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:10 am

Go for it, That is great. I found a sober skateboard group and it is awsome. we meet we skate, we chat. Just like skateboarding, there are no rules and no judgment. We just enjoy the comrodery of skating and sharing the battle of the booze. Anything that can bring you all together in posative light is great. Odds are there are plenty of battling jeep people. Great post.
kdub720
Forums Enthusiast

Postby desypete » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:12 am

the beauty of it all is you can do anything you want to do in this life, many of our area aas go away for weekend camping hikes etc they really enjoy it, so i guess anything is possible
desypete
Forums Contributor

Return to If It Doesn't Fit Anywhere Else