Query on Herbal Medicine

Got an issue with someone or something? Want to whine a little? Here's the place to do it, or to get to know folks, or ask those questions that don't fit anywhere else.

Query on Herbal Medicine

Postby Mike O » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:21 am

In the ingredients for St Johns Wort it is mentioned:

"Each hard capsule contains 142mg of extract (as dry extract) from St. John’s Wort aerial parts (Hypericum perforatum L.) (equivalent to 711mg-995mg of St. John’s Wort). Extraction solvent: Ethanol 60% v/v."

Is the use of Ethanol here of concern to an alcoholic?
Mike O
Forums Old Timer

Re: Query on Herbal Medicine

Postby PaigeB » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:52 am

Whoa - that is the only thing I see in there that would make ME feel better! I wouldn't take it, but I don't know a lot about herbal meds.
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby Duke » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:56 am

My understanding is that ethanol used for extraction is entirely evaporated from the final product.
"If you are humble nothing will touch you, neither praise nor disgrace, because you know what you are.", Mother Teresa
Duke
Forums Old Timer

Postby Mike O » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:36 am

Duke wrote:My understanding is that ethanol used for extraction is entirely evaporated from the final product.

From what I can gather, this does appear to be the case. However, I want to be sure. Any chemists here?
Mike O
Forums Old Timer

Postby Brock » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:54 am

We have had this come up in the past, searching under 'wort' shows the posts.

Like Duke I thought the ethanol evaporated after extraction. However I just found a thesis headed - Master-Thesis The Role of Alcohol in Pharmaceutical Products Dr. Iris Krugmann. She says the residual Ethanol in drugs extracted by this process, could be dangerous to kids due to alcohol content. So if there's enough alcohol to possibly harm a child, and we are probably more sensitive than kids to alcohol, I say stay far away from this.

This is a short section from her paper, it actually shows how much the blood alcohol level in children should not rise above, per dose of herbal medication.
According to “Reflection Paper on Ethanol content in herbal medicinal products and traditional herbal medicinal products used in children” (EMEA/HMPC/85114/2008), optional medical prescription drugs intended for pediatric population must have an ethanol concentration below 5% and after intake of a single dose of ethanol containing medicinal products, the resultant blood alcohol concentration should not be higher than 0.125 g/L (= 0.125‰) based on the impairment of psychomotor skills. 

If they could manage to remove all the ethanol residue, one imagines they would do so.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby Duke » Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:21 pm

I'm not a chemist. Science was never my strong suit.
"If you are humble nothing will touch you, neither praise nor disgrace, because you know what you are.", Mother Teresa
Duke
Forums Old Timer

Postby Blue Moon » Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:06 pm

Mike O wrote:In the ingredients for St Johns Wort it is mentioned:

"Each hard capsule contains 142mg of extract (as dry extract) from St. John’s Wort aerial parts (Hypericum perforatum L.) (equivalent to 711mg-995mg of St. John’s Wort). Extraction solvent: Ethanol 60% v/v."

Is the use of Ethanol here of concern to an alcoholic?

It's a dry extract, not suspended in liquid. So no, the method of extraction wouldn't bother me. If I was going to get drunk on that, I'd get drunk anyway.

But there may be other reasons to take precautions, e.g. interactions with other drugs. "Herbal" doesn't necessarily equate to "safe", so I would educate myself about what I'm putting into my body.
Ian S
AKA Blue Moon
Blue Moon
Site Admin

Postby Mike O » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:07 am

Blue Moon wrote:
But there may be other reasons to take precautions, e.g. interactions with other drugs. "Herbal" doesn't necessarily equate to "safe", so I would educate myself about what I'm putting into my body.

Oh, absolutely.
Thanks, everybody.
Mike O
Forums Old Timer

Return to If It Doesn't Fit Anywhere Else