I want to quit but I need help ...

Got an issue with someone or something? Want to whine a little? Here's the place to do it, or to get to know folks, or ask those questions that don't fit anywhere else.

I want to quit but I need help ...

Postby Raziel » Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:57 am

Hello there

I really want to quit alcohol but i got scared researching alcohol withdrawal and i can't go to a rehab center or anything like that. I used to drink 8 units of alcohol daily (with small pauses) for about 2-3 months but i reduced the amount in the month of March to 5 standard drinks every other day (so 20 units per week). I want to reduce further with maybe more pause time lets say 3 units and then 2 days pause. I just need to know and maybe get some to be reassured by experienced people if I am in risk of alcohol withdrawal at my level of drinking or am I just being silly and the danger is in my head. I need to mention that a month ago when i reduced the amount i did get a rapid heartbeat and spiking pulse and heart pressure (no shakes or other symptoms) that really scared me and made me research alcohol withdrawal and further weaken my ambition to get rid of my addiction for good. What really scared me is reading about DT symptoms although I speculate that the risk for me is low (for 20 units of alchol per week) but since i don't know and need info. I read on (moderator edit)that if you don't drink 2 days in a row you won't go through alcohol withdrawl. Is that true? Can I reduce the alcohol content more?

Please help... I am grateful for any information

****Moderator: No links are allowed. Please see viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8 for more info. ******
Raziel
Forums Newcomer

Re: I want to quit but I need help ...

Postby Brock » Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:09 pm

Hi Raziel and welcome here.

As you will have seen in reading about the subject, the first three days are considered the most critical. I have read that the “method” you are using by reducing intake before quitting, is actually something that is recommended by health professionals, especially before the many more modern drugs that relieve the symptoms were around. Our literature speaks of carrying around a bit of grog to help someone overcome the shakes, before we speak to them about quitting entirely.

We don't give medical advise the books say that as well, but surely from all I have read you are in no danger, some discomfort but no danger. If you can afford a doctor visit and explain what you are about, I expect you will get some Valium or other sedative, this will make the process far less uncomfortable and risk free.

All the best to you.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby PaigeB » Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:21 pm

I think you are really asking a medical question here... please ask a doctor and not a drunk. :wink:

If you think you have alcoholism and wish to recover, I can tell you the only way I could do it is by working the 12 Steps of Alcoholics Anonymous.
Here is our book online: http://www.aa.org/pages/en_US/read-the- ... traditions
Here is how you find the link to alcoholics face to face in your area: http://www.aa.org/pages/en_US/find-aa-resources follow the links right down to your neighborhood!
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby ezdzit247 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:38 pm

Hi Raziel and welcome.

What Paige posted....I totally agree.

My name is Mary and I'm a sober alcoholic. My experience, strength and hope is that I struggled with trying to quit drinking and stay sober for almost two years after I realized I had an alcohol problem. I tried to taper off booze many times on my own without success and almost died trying. I finally consented to going into what's called an AA Step house for women. When I went back home and back to AA meetings, I discovered AA's 24 hour plan. The one day at a time plan has worked for millions of AAer's and it can work for you too. There's a description of how the plan works in an AA pamphlet entitled: "This is A.A.... an introduction to the A.A. recovery program". You can read it online by clicking on this link:

http://www.aa.org/assets/en_US/p-1_thisisaa1.pdf.

Here's an excerpt from the pamphlet on AA's 24-hour plan also known as the One Day At A Time plan or ODATT.

"....For example, we take no pledges, we don’t say that we will “never” drink again. Instead, we try to follow what we in A.A. call the “24-hour plan.” We concentrate on keeping sober just the current twenty-four hours. We simply try to get through one day at a time without a drink. If we feel the urge for a drink, we neither yield nor resist. We merely put off taking that particular drink until tomorrow…."

In addition to doing AA's 24 hour plan, I followed the advice of AA old timers in the meeting rooms who suggested that newcomers attend at least one AA meeting a day in the first 90 days of recovery. At the time, I couldn't even imagine that a daily drinker like me would be able to stay sober 30 days let alone 90 days, but I did what they suggested and it worked for me too.

If medical detox treatment is not available in your area and you want to try detoxing yourself on your own, I would strongly recommend that you consult with your doctor and let him give a physical exam to determine what risks might be involved for your individual metabolism and medical issues. Alcohol detox is very tricky and much risker for some alcoholics than others. It's best to err on the side of caution and get medical advice before you try to do detox on your own. Good luck.

Keep coming back.....
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.” -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
ezdzit247
Forums Old Timer

Postby D'oh » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:28 pm

Hi Razil, glad you reached out.

And as the Ladies stated, I think that Threat of DT's is a Medical Question. Not an answer that a Drunk can say.

Personally, I went through about a week of DT's, and survived. Bed Sweats, Shakes, Foggy Thoughts, Vomiting, and worse. I knew where the answer was, in the Meetings and would actually have to have a couple of drinks to be alert enough to attend them at first.

Infact, the 2 times I have made the trip to Detox with a Newbie (a 2 hour road trip) the first stop was to buy a micky for them.

Now, I want you to ask yourself. "Do Normal Drinkers, measure the amount they drink a week? Do they worry about what would happen if they didn't have those drinks?"

Please, seek help. A meeting with Face to Face Members, a Doctor, Detox, something. The rest will work out.

I think your concerns about stopping, is that you already know that you can't. But you are not alone.
D'oh
Forums Long Timer

Postby Raziel » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:33 am

Thank you all for the answers and support.
Raziel
Forums Newcomer

Postby positrac » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:05 pm

Welcome and sadly I can't provide support in your situation as you need to be face to face with another drunk who is sober to assist in the changes you hope to achieve. Withdrawals is part of the process of recovery and you aren't unique as we all have all had our share of drastic change in order to find and keep our sobriety.

You are the key for change and it might be a wise suggestion to go to a rehab facility as life is a lot more positive than death and my pride needed to get into check so I could stay sober.

Best of success
You must live your life from beginning to end: No one else can do it for you.
Hopi Proverb
positrac
Forums Old Timer

Return to If It Doesn't Fit Anywhere Else