Insanity

Got an issue with someone or something? Want to whine a little? Here's the place to do it, or to get to know folks, or ask those questions that don't fit anywhere else.

Insanity

Postby avaneesh912 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:25 am

Sunday i receive a voice mail and then a text. A young kid 18 year old who was at the 1/2 way house is at the emergency ward, he is frantic. The counselor overdosed. Two other counselors quit, the owner who had long stint of sobriety relapsed few days ago. Looks like the counselor stabilized, don't know if he is going to survive yet. I havent heard from the kid yet. This disease is a killer. Thats for sure. It drags others down, if you are not aware.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Re: Insanity

Postby Noels » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:01 am

Pfew. That's rough Ava. Sorry to hear man. Perhaps it would be a good idea to contact the kid since he contacted YOU in this traumatic situation? All the best and let us know if everyone's okay.
Thanks for reminding us to be ever vigilant,
mwah xxx
There is only Love
Noels
Forums Old Timer

Postby positrac » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:05 am

This is quite interesting topic because locally where I reside one of the 1/2 way houses resulted in the same kind of deal that also included in some legal charges between some of the oversight employees. Times have changed and now it seems like these recovery places are like people who foster kids for money and just see the green. Seem things have spun out of control with original intentions regarding quality recovery opportunities from years gone by.

Hope that young kid can make it although it'll be rough.
You must live your life from beginning to end: No one else can do it for you.
Hopi Proverb
positrac
Forums Old Timer

Postby avaneesh912 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:05 am

The kid finally called. I offered to visit him later in the evening. So for now he is chugging along. He sees the tragedy of not working the steps.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby tomsteve » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:06 am

avaneesh912 wrote:He sees the tragedy of not working the steps.

that alone makes what he's going through worth it.
tomsteve
Forums Contributor

Postby positrac » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:42 am

avaneesh912 wrote:The kid finally called. I offered to visit him later in the evening. So for now he is chugging along. He sees the tragedy of not working the steps.

But has it sunk in yet? Once all is better we tend forget until the next bout. Hopefully he'll learn the first time and grow from there as it would be real nice.
Hopi Proverb
positrac
Forums Old Timer

Postby avaneesh912 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:29 pm

This kid has already gone through several of these rehabs. When I ran the 1step workshop, he was one of the guys who asked where does one stand a chance, looking at the Vicious cycle chart we put-together. I told him "if we took action the moment we get un-easy: Restless irritable discontented state". Ever since he has been working the steps with my guidance. He is now at the part where he is creating the inventory. Lets see.
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby positrac » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:20 am

avaneesh912 wrote:This kid has already gone through several of these rehabs. When I ran the 1step workshop, he was one of the guys who asked where does one stand a chance, looking at the Vicious cycle chart we put-together. I told him "if we took action the moment we get un-easy: Restless irritable discontented state". Ever since he has been working the steps with my guidance. He is now at the part where he is creating the inventory. Lets see.

That is very good given he is so young and speaking from my experience I knew I was an alcoholic when I was 15 and it took me being a retread over and over until I finally realized I had been beaten by alcohol. having said this I still was dragging my feet will full compliance and again I was my own worst enemy.

Back in 1989 young people in the rooms were far and few between and so being able to relate to older more established people was hard because they spoke of the not yet's and I hadn't even really arrived yet. Peers were partying and doing what I was used to doing and we worked hard and played hard and it was more for denial of how dangerous our jobs were and a way to cope for an excuse to drink. it was hard because no one ever admitted to being a drunk and let alone in recovery. I started meeting a few older guys ( 30's) as I was mid twenties and so I was able to get a hook and have friends who were sober and I learned to cope differently. Our jobs were still dangerous and yet I was able to focus better.

Please pass on to this young man that life can be achieved while sober and that his ability to remove un-necessary distractions is the key. Go quietly and say little and eventually he'll see he is in another class or element of life in which he might not of ever known.

Cheers.
Hopi Proverb
positrac
Forums Old Timer

Postby avaneesh912 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:55 am

Yesterday I visited him, he all looked in much better shape. He has recovered from this shock. The counselor I am told was able to walk to the bathroom on his own. Though his heart beats just 50% lower rate than normal. He has been shooting coke and heroin the hole night. Hopefully there will be no setbacks. The dude had been 2 years sober but going through some internal discomfort. I believe the owner shared his experience with the recent relapse, been slacking off, not talked to a sponsor in a long time, he has been sober a long time.

I pointed him Bills story where he talks about not following the principles, we wont be able to face certain low spots in our life. And also shared with him the story "He sold himself short". Pointed to him, those old-timers didn't waste their time. They were in action. Hope the kid gets connected.

Thanks all.
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby avaneesh912 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:57 pm

Another interesting thing happened yesterday. There was a gentleman at the 12 and 12 Wednesday night meeting. Usually I don't go to the 8 pm meetings. It happened to be the owner of the 1/2 house and after the meeting he came up to me and introduced himself. He was shaky filled with lot of guilt and remorse, said he had just come out of a detox facility. We exchanged numbers and I gave him the CD containing Bills Story and More about alcoholism (from joe and charlie workshop). he promised to stay in touch.
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby Noels » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:13 am

That's wonderful Ava. Seems everything is going to work out well. Thanks for sharing with us.
Mwah xxx
There is only Love
Noels
Forums Old Timer

Postby Blue Moon » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:49 pm

avaneesh912 wrote:It drags others down, if you are not aware.

Yep. Some of the angriest SOBs I know in AA work at these places. I can only surmise, but I think they can engender a "greater than" complex. Keeps the individual stuck in Step 1 unless they're very careful to also mix a lot with "well" people for balance. I wouldn't suggest a sponsee become a detox of halfway-house employee until they were sober and recovered for several years, then make an informed decision about whether that's what they really want to do. The BB itself warns us against making a sole vocation of this.

I'm sure it's a very frustrating profession to be in. Nowhere have I seen it written "if you want what we have and are able to drop $20k to get it, then you are ready ..."
Ian S
AKA Blue Moon
Blue Moon
Site Admin

Postby clouds » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:02 am

Wow, sorry for all involved. Spiritual growth will follow no doubt.

Its so easy to get off the path and rest on our laurels. I'd say especially if running a 12 step half way house or something.

I had AA meetings to go to at the darkest hours of my life and years of doing the steps behind me. Some of us aren't in such a fortunate situation I guess.

Hope all concerned find their way back to sober life and a better grounding in the principles of AA than they had before.
" Burn the idea into the consciousness of every man that he can get well regardless of anyone. The only condition is that he trust in God and clean house." page 98 A.A.
clouds
Trusted Servant

Return to If It Doesn't Fit Anywhere Else