Walked out of two meetings this week

Got an issue with someone or something? Want to whine a little? Here's the place to do it, or to get to know folks, or ask those questions that don't fit anywhere else.

Deleted

Postby Noels » Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:58 am

xxx
Last edited by Noels on Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
There is only Love
Noels
Forums Old Timer

Re: Walked out of two meetings this week

Postby tomsteve » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:01 am

Blue Moon wrote:
Brock wrote:If we leave the meeting learning nothing, and realizing our own words fell on deaf ears, then it's a waste of time as AA meetings go'

But ... who's to say our words fell on deaf ears? How can I know? Maybe the mouthy git is beyond human aid, but what about the quiet member in the corner?

I find that if I'm expecting praise from my sharing (which I sometimes do), my ego is getting in the way. My job is to share my experience. It's not my job to have anyone else hear it, like it, or give feedback. Agreed, it's not always easy. Yet it sometimes surprises me how someone mentions weeks or months later something I once said in a meeting. Even here, I'm willing to bet that more people are reading our words than we'll ever know.

early on, there were many meetings that I heard exactly what I needed to hear that day. if it wasn't for the members showing up to carry the message of hope, to do gods will, to share their ESH....I welp,im not sure what would have happened, but im very greatful for them being there and sharing....with the right motive for sharing.

the only time a meeting is a waste of time is when im trying to get something for myself out of it.
even when I am there to carry the message, I can still get something from a meeting if I change my perspective.
one perspective is to think,"yup, great lesson that alcoholism is still kikin ass."

early on I was at a meeting and the mental obsession was strong and it was really pissin my off- I didnt want it, but it was there.i was scared shitless I was gonna drink.
without even mentioning I was fighting the mental obsession. a man said," the only way a drink can get into me is if I allow it. hit my knees or hit a bottle. I have a choice."
I walked out of that meeting no longer fighting- for the time being. and those words stuck with me quite a bit.
about a week later I sat next to that man at a meeting. mentioned what was goin on that day back then and thanked him for his words.
he said,"musta been god talkin because I don't remember."
huh!!
tomsteve
Forums Contributor

Postby michmjon » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:44 am

It's been well over a month since I replied to this post and over six weeks since I attended a meeting. Here I my thoughts.

I remain strong and sober. I have no desire to drink alcohol ever again. Why? Because I know what it will do to my life if I do.

Did a "Higher Power" play any part of this?

NO. To turn one's personal problems over to someone or something else is not the answer. It's never the answer. It's your problem and your problem alone. It's up to you to make the decision to solve the problem. I was in AA for almost a year and saw the results of saying "I can't solve my own problems. I have to surrender to an almighty ghost in the sky, for I don't have the strength to do it on my own." You get stuck in a rut of being addicted to going to meetings because you believe that you are weak- you just can't grasp sobriety because you blame it on some "allergy," some affliction that you have no control over. Here's the news, my friend. You drank too much and you liked it. It was an escape from a world you were afraid to face without a bottle in your hand. Man up. Woman up. It's your life and what you do with it is a direct result of YOUR actions. If you want to rot in a bottle, it's your fault, your problem and there isn't any God, Religion or other person that will help you. Just make the decision and follow through with it.

No one else can help you recover. No higher power, no God, no Group, no meeting. Only you. You made the decision to pick up the bottle. You make the decision to never pick it up again.
michmjon
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Reborn » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:04 am

It's been well over a month since I replied to this post and over six weeks since I attended a meeting. Here I my thoughts.

I remain strong and sober. I have no desire to drink alcohol ever again. Why? Because I know what it will do to my life if I do.

NO. To turn one's personal problems over to someone or something else is not the answer. It's never the answer. It's your problem and your problem alone. It's up to you to make the decision to solve the problem. I was in AA for almost a year and saw the results of saying "I can't solve my own problems. I have to surrender to an almighty ghost in the sky, for I don't have the strength to do it on my own." You get stuck in a rut of being addicted to going to meetings because you believe that you are weak- you just can't grasp sobriety because you blame it on some "allergy," some affliction that you have no control over. Here's the news, my friend. You drank too much and you liked it. It was an escape from a world you were afraid to face without a bottle in your hand. Man up. Woman up. It's your life and what you do with it is a direct result of YOUR actions. If you want to rot in a bottle, it's your fault, your problem and there isn't any God, Religion or other person that will help you. Just make the decision and follow through with it.

No one else can help you recover. No higher power, no God, no Group, no meeting. Only you. You made the decision to pick up the bottle. You make the decision to never pick it up again.

Look if this works for you fine...why the need to share an anti AA message on an AA message board. Have you considered that you are not an alcoholic but a hard drinker? page 20-21

Then we have a certain type of hard drinker. He may have the habit badly enough to gradually impair him physically and mentally. It may cause him to die a few years before his time. If a sufficiently strong reason - ill health, falling in love, change of environment, or the warning of a doctor - becomes operative, this man can also stop or moderate, although he may find it difficult and troublesome and may even need medical attention.

I have tried to do what you describe over and over and never could stay sober on my own will power and self knowledge. The book says this over and over trying to smash this home to the readers. So if you don't need God or AA that is wonderful for you...but go peddle your BS somewhere else.
We have recovered, and have been given the power to help others. BB pg 132
Reborn
Forums Long Timer

Postby PaigeB » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:57 am

Hi ya'll. Most folks around here know I am an atheist with 7+ years sober and I am with Reborn ... no need to post anti AA BS... The book tells that some folks might be able to get some time sober on willpower alone, we are willful type-A kinda folks! I personally got a year once, but when Spring came with the opportunity to drink my twisted thinking rationalized and justified a couple of wine coolers. When I found out at the store that wine coolers come in a 4 pack - I WAS AGHAST! who drinks 4? Friggin' cool-aid anyhow, better back up that 4 pack with a 12 pack of beer!!!!! Bat crap crazy and no alcohol had passed my lips!

AB-SO-FREAK-ING-LUTE-LY!

I could not have and would not have made it this far (and remained sane) without the unconditional love & support of my fellows in AA. They speak my language and think crazy like me! NO ONE has ever forced me to believe anything other than that AA is a power greater than me. It has worked and continues to work.

And like the Big Book says something like, "Any man that can turn around and drink like a gentleman, our hats are off to ya! God knows we have tried hard and long to do the same." And my hat is off to you too michmjon. Getting sober and staying sober in the practical program of action laid out in Alcoholics Anonymous is difficult - it is not easy peasy - it is not for wussies... no... it takes vigilance and determination and humility to continue to go make coffee every Friday night and shake hands every Monday night and to also do service work in various areas of the program. Public Information is my genre I guess - committee meeting is Sunday afternoon, once a month. But yeah, if I did not have to suit up and show up that would be great! But I have tried it without AA and I like life IN AA much better.

Somewhere, I think in the 12 & 12 it says "... we have a key to sobriety..." We only have "a" key... we do not claim to have "the" key just one key, a key, in what might be a universe of effective methods.

But we do seem to have a solution to MY problem. And as for me and mine, we are grateful.
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby Chelle » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:29 am

Good for you Mich mon. I'm glad you have been able to quit by your own power. That's amazing for You! I wish that I could just woman up as you have said, and quit on my own. If I had taken that kind of advice, I quite possibly could be dead right now.Or at the very least, angry, running the show, holier thand thou, and being of absolutely no help to others. Instead what I have found is a fellowship of men and woman who are some of the greatest people on earth. I am able to watch people's eyes light up and their life turn around by doing this simple program. And I have found peace. Serenity in my soul with a new way to live my life that no longer revolves around alcohol. For the first time on my life I am living in the solution and not the problem. My solution is Alcoholics Anonymous.

Peace
Chelle
Forums Contributor

Postby Brock » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:03 pm

You get stuck in a rut of being addicted to going to meetings..
I know we have discussed this with you in the past, and some of us have pointed out, that after we complete the steps we consider meetings optional, I am one of those. Although I have come to quite enjoy one or two meetings a week, I attend not because I have to, but I don't doubt what you say is true. However, those who may be 'addicted' to meetings, we refer to as the 'meeting makers make it crowd,' they are part of a group of unfortunates, who don't understand what the steps are there to achieve.

Chelle said without the program of AA this would certainly have happened to her -
Or at the very least, angry, running the show, holier than thou, and being of absolutely no help to others.

Kind of sounds like what happened to you!
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby avaneesh912 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:37 pm

It's been well over a month since I replied to this post and over six weeks since I attended a meeting.

With just 6 weeks you conclude that you dont need help? And just going to meetings is whats going to keep people sober, you got it all wrong. Its the spiritual awakening that keeps us sober.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby Duke » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:27 pm

Congratulations michmjon. Since this is an AA forum and you have no need for it, farewell. I wish you well.
"If you are humble nothing will touch you, neither praise nor disgrace, because you know what you are.", Mother Teresa
Duke
Forums Old Timer

Postby ezdzit247 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:44 pm

LOL...nice rant, michmjon!

Glad you decided to drop by to let us know you're still sober. Good for you!

I'm a pragmatist, especially about recovery. I'm good with whatever works for any recovering alcoholic. It doesn't matter to me what you or anyone else believes or how they get sober or stay sober. Whatever helps any drunk to make the decision to put the plug in the jug and keep it there is a good thing IMO.

There are two popular recovery websites for atheists and agnostics--"Beyond Belief" and "AA Agnostica". Can't post the links but you can google the links if you want to check them out.

Keep coming back.....
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.” -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
ezdzit247
Forums Old Timer

Postby Blue Moon » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:05 pm

michmjon wrote:No one else can help you recover. No higher power, no God, no Group, no meeting. Only you. You made the decision to pick up the bottle. You make the decision to never pick it up again.

You almost sound like you're trying to convince yourself.

I agree with you. I need no God, Group or Meeting in order to stay sober today. But what I don't do is go around being angry telling everyone else in an AA forum which did nothing - nothing - but try to be of help to me that it's not what they should be doing. Who the hell are you trying to help or impress with that attitude?
Ian S
AKA Blue Moon
Blue Moon
Site Admin

Postby Layne » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:26 pm

Obviously, he must not be trying to help anyone else because

No one else can help you recover
So that can't be the motive for sharing here, so yeah I am curious as to what he is trying to accomplish. Possibly to show us the error of our ways. I must be not not drinking incorrectly. And then there always is that annoying feeling of being happy, joyous, and free.
Layne
Forums Old Timer

Postby avaneesh912 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:39 am

Your story reminds me of Fred the accountant story. How he got cocky and went about his way. And BAM, he hits the blind-spot. Not saying you will too, but if you are an alcoholic, the chances are very good.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby clouds » Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:44 am

Keep coming back mich, and remember that the door swings both ways.

If you are as alcoholic as we were, only a spiritual experience will solve your problems.

Maybe you aren't as alcoholic as you thought you were? idk, so that's for you to find out, but in any case a complete reversal of your psyche (particularly complete ego deflation) is needed for ongoing recovery from alcoholism.
Hard facts, but true.
" Burn the idea into the consciousness of every man that he can get well regardless of anyone. The only condition is that he trust in God and clean house." page 98 A.A.
clouds
Trusted Servant

Postby tomsteve » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:43 am

I will gladly, greatfully, and riggtly not include myself in this "YOU" crap.
but YOU can run on and on about how YOU stay sober all YLOU want.
as for me, I thank GOD for AA- THEY helped me recover

michmjon wrote:It's been well over a month since I replied to this post and over six weeks since I attended a meeting. Here I my thoughts.

tomsteve
Forums Contributor

PreviousNext

Return to If It Doesn't Fit Anywhere Else