Some interesting AA stuff ...

Got an issue with someone or something? Want to whine a little? Here's the place to do it, or to get to know folks, or ask those questions that don't fit anywhere else.

Some interesting AA stuff ...

Postby Noels » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:15 am

Personal Sacrifice -
"When the first AA group took form, we soon learned a lot more of this. We found that each of us had to make willing sacrifices for the group itself, sacrifices for the common welfare. The group, in turn, found that it had to give up many of its own rights for the protection and welfare of each member, and for AA as a whole. These sacrifices had to be made or AA couldn't continue to exist. - Just as sacrifice meant survival for the individual, so did sacrifice mean unity and survival for the group and for AA's entire Fellowship"
Bill W - AA comes off Age pgs 287 and 288
There is only Love
Noels
Forums Old Timer

Re: Some interesting AA stuff ...

Postby Noels » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:16 am

For one thing, our AA program is spiritually centered. Most of us have found enough humility to believe in and depend upon God. We have found that humility by facing the fact that alcoholism is a fatal malady over which we are individually powerless.
- Language of the Heart p7
There is only Love
Noels
Forums Old Timer

Postby Noels » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:23 am

"What I've learned is that it doesn't matter what hardships and losses I've endured in sobriety, I have not had to go back to drinking. As long as I work the program, keep being of service, go to meetings and keep my spiritual life together, I can live a decent life ... I wanted to feel at peace with myself and comfortable with other people. I never found it in drinking. The belonging I always wanted I have found in AA and in sobriety. All the credit belongs to God. On my own I could not have quit. I know, I tried it".
BB - Building a New Life p 485
There is only Love
Noels
Forums Old Timer

Postby Noels » Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:37 am

Just for Today
Priorities

"the good times can also be a trap; the danger is that we may forget that our first priority is to stay sober".

Things can get really good in our recovery. Perhaps we've found our "soul mate", built a rewarding career, started a family. Maybe our relationships with our family members have healed. Things are going so well, we barely have time to attend meetings. Perhaps we begin to reintegrate into society so successfully that we forget that we don't always react to situations like others do.

Maybe, just maybe, we've put some priorities ahead of themselves. Is meeting attendance still a priority with us? Do we still sponsor? Do we phone our sponsor? What step are we working? Are we still willing to drag ourselves out of bed at some ungodly hour for a Twelfth Step Call? Do we remember to practice principles in all our affairs? If others in AA reach out to us, are we available? Do we remember where we came from or have the "good times" allowed us to forget?

To stay sober, we must remember that we are only one drink away from our past. We stay grateful for the good times but we don't let them divert us from our continuing recovery in Alcoholics Anonymous.

[b]Just for today :[b] I'm grateful for the good times, but ive not forgotten from where ive come. Today, my first priority is staying sober and growing in my recovery.
There is only Love
Noels
Forums Old Timer

Postby Noels » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:32 am

"Emerging from that cocoon, coming out of isolation, is the way we start to recover. we learn to be a part of AA by going to meetings, making commitment to a home group, listening to other members' stories and picking up coffee cups or saying hello to another newcomer. Some AAs prefer sociability and people, others of us need occasional times of solitude. Some of us like to serve on committees, others prefer to do quieter acts of service. But most of us come to feel that being part of the community, the fellowship, and the program of Alcoholics Anonymous is a way to step out of the dark night of alcoholic isolation and into the "Sunlight of the Spirit". It's a good place to be." - Beginners Book - "Out of Isolation p19"
There is only Love
Noels
Forums Old Timer

Postby Noels » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:15 am

And another good one received this morning :

Insides and Outsides
Our real value is in being ourselves ...

As we work the steps, we're bound to discover some basic truths about ourselves. The process of uncovering our secrets, exposing them, and searching our characters reveals our true nature. As we become acquainted with ourselves, we'll need to make a decision to be just who we are.

We may want to take a look at what we present to our fellow addicts and the world and see if it matches up with what we've discovered inside. Do we pretend that nothing bothers us when, in truth, we're very sensitive? Do we cover our insecurities with obnoxious jokes, or do we share our fears with someone? Do we dress like a teenager when we're approaching 40 and are basically conservative?

We may want to take another look at those things which we thought "weren't us". Maybe we've avoided recovering activities because we "don't like crowds". Or maybe we have a secret dream of changing careers but have put off taking action because our dream "wasn't really right" for us. As we attain a new understanding of ourselves, we'll want to adjust our behavior accordingly. We want to be genuine examples of who we are.

Just for today - I will check my outsides to make sure they match my insides. I will try to act on the growth I have experienced in recovery.
There is only Love
Noels
Forums Old Timer

Postby Noels » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:45 pm

God, grant me the Serenity
To accept the things I cannot change...
Courage to change the things I can,
And Wisdom to know the difference.

The Full Version
God, grant me the Serenity
To accept the things I cannot change...
Courage to change the things I can,
And Wisdom to know the difference.
Living one day at a time,
Enjoying one moment at a time,
Accepting hardship as the pathway to peace.
Taking, as He did, this sinful world as it is,
Not as I would have it.
Trusting that He will make all things right
if I surrender to His will.
That I may be reasonably happy in this life,
And supremely happy with Him forever in the next.
Amen.        

The Original Full Version 
God, give us grace to accept with serenity
the things that cannot be changed,
Courage to change the things
which should be changed,
and the Wisdom to distinguish
the one from the other.
Living one day at a time,
Enjoying one moment at a time,
Accepting hardship as a pathway to peace,
Taking, as Jesus did,
This sinful world as it is,
Not as I would have it,
Trusting that You will make all things right,
If I surrender to Your will,
So that I may be reasonably happy in this life,
And supremely happy with You forever in the next.
Amen.        
There is only Love
Noels
Forums Old Timer

Postby Noels » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:42 am

Here's a nice piece we received on group chat this morning and immediately I feel that I should feel guilty for something I don't know I did :lol: Pfew, April's been like sitting in a church just hearing about condemnation and damnation every Sunday. BAD gal!!! ENOUGH now April! LET THERE BE LIGHT!!! :D :D :D Mwah xxx

As Bill sees it - pg 17 - Toward Honesty
The perverse wish to hide a bad motive underneath a good one permeates human affairs from top to bottom. This subtle and elusive kind of self-righteousness can underlie the smallest act or thought. Learning daily to spot, admit and correct these flaws is the essence of character - building and good living".

Twelve Traditions pg 60
"The deception of others is nearly always rooted in the deception of ourselves" Grapevine August 1961
There is only Love
Noels
Forums Old Timer

Return to If It Doesn't Fit Anywhere Else