Mouthwash?

Got an issue with someone or something? Want to whine a little? Here's the place to do it, or to get to know folks, or ask those questions that don't fit anywhere else.

Re: Mouthwash?

Postby Brock » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:49 am

To me, strictly going to meetings as an answer to recovery is comparable to only going to church, never seeing a doctor, and expecting your cancer to be cured.

Once again absolutely correct, and anybody who believes just going to meetings is the answer, doesn’t know a fart about AA.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby avaneesh912 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:36 pm

We dont work the steps in the room, we go there to share hope so the new come can get lit. We make the steps part of the life. Initially we work with the sponsor or using some workshops and have someone appraise our shortcomings so we know "where we have been playing GOD".
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby ezdzit247 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:54 pm

"There is absolutely no science behind the "allergic to alcohol" claim. "Addiction as an allergy" - the theory of Dr. William Silkworth in the "Doctor's Opinion" section of the Big Book is the only place this claim exists."

Au contraire.

It would be more accurate to assert that Dr. Silkworth was one of the first medical professionals to posit the "allergic to alcohol" theory rather than to assert that AA literature is the only place this claim exists. While Silkworth's extensive on the job experience working with alcoholics led him to make this very logical observation, at the time there was no medical research on alcoholism and no empirical evidence to support his theory. Thanks to AA's Marty Mann pioneering efforts in founding the National Committee for Education on Alcohol in 1944 and Bill W's successful efforts in Congress to secure government funding for alcoholism research, today there is a mountain of empirical evidence supporting Silkworth's 80 year old theory that alcoholics are indeed allergic to alcohol. The scientific research that supports the theory that alcoholism is a disease, i.e. an allergy of the body coupled with an obsession of the mind, can be found at the NIAAA website.
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.” -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
ezdzit247
Forums Old Timer

Postby D'oh » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:45 pm

Perhaps my comments were misunderstood. I simply meant that the science behind addiction should not be ignored as a part of recovery. I am not stating in anyway that spiritual (I prefer calling it mental) recovery should be ignored. That's why I go to meetings. To me, strictly going to meetings as an answer to recovery is comparable to only going to church, never seeing a doctor, and expecting your cancer to be cured.

The Door is not as heavy as it seems, it needs only to be opened a little, the rest will come. I 100% agree that this Book is Suggestive only. But proven thousands of times that it works, if it is worked.
D'oh
Forums Long Timer

Previous

Return to If It Doesn't Fit Anywhere Else