Life is precious

Got an issue with someone or something? Want to whine a little? Here's the place to do it, or to get to know folks, or ask those questions that don't fit anywhere else.

Life is precious

Postby Noels » Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:46 pm

Good morning beautiful people. It's day 7 of our family vacation and all is well. Experiencing the power of the ocean alone on the deck of the beach house in the wee hours of the morning makes me realise once again how very small and powerless I am in the great scheme of the universe. It also brings to me thoughts of how amazingly incomprehensible it is that my Creator would bother or care about one as unimportant as me taking into account Its other enormously powerful Creations.
It has been a strange vacation. 2 days before we left home the mother of one of my son's friends passed away unexpectedly. Mild heart attack, got better but passed 2 days later. She just turned 50. On our arrival past Saturday a members 20 year old son together with 2 of his young friends passed. Their small plane crashed into a mountain on their way home from the krugerpark in bad weather. Yesterday a 58 year old man collapsed on the beach in front of our beach house. Hubby and son carried him into the shade. He was in a diabetic coma with not much we could do for him. He passed before emergency services reached the hospital.
Could all this be happening to remind us of our vulnerability and mortality? Perhaps as a reminder that each breath is a gift which can be taken away at the blink of an eye, a snap of a finger?
Whatever the reason, I find myself in constant gratitude. Not only for being alive and sober but also for being a part of all that is, was and ever will be. Happy holidays to you all. ..

Love and light
Noels xxx
There is only Love
Noels
Forums Old Timer

Re: Life is precious

Postby Lali » Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:17 pm

Hi, Noels. I sure hope all this hasn't put too much of a damper on your vacation. How's it going with the other family members' drinking habits? Stay safe.
Lali
Forums Old Timer

Postby Duke » Sat Dec 17, 2016 4:23 pm

Thanks Noels. I've had reasons of my own to reflect upon mortality recently, and your description of how tiny we are in the immensity of life touched me.

Value each moment. We don't have to know what it's all about to appreciate the wonder and sanctity of it.

Enjoy the family friend.
"If you are humble nothing will touch you, neither praise nor disgrace, because you know what you are.", Mother Teresa
Duke
Forums Old Timer

Postby Spirit Flower » Sat Dec 17, 2016 4:40 pm

Thanks Noels.

Yesterday I sat in an AA meeting and was grateful for sobriety. I am happy when I stop and think about it; and give credit to spiritual awakening.
...a score card reading zero...
Spirit Flower
Trusted Servant

Postby Noels » Sun Dec 18, 2016 4:04 am

Good morning beautiful people. Thank you for your responses and for simply being there. Lali - amazingly it is as Brock said months ago. The bottle of wine could have been a bottle of milk. I am not bothered by it at all. Not whilst it's in the fridge nor when it's in a glass being consumed. Hallelujah is all I can say :D
Duke -how on earth did you know? The managers dog Hugo have taken a fancy to us and are here from morning to night. A beautiful black possibly labrador cross who loves long walks on the beach with the kids and simply chilling with the family.
And Spirit flower - how true your words are. Being an alcoholic is no longer important. Being spiritually fit is.
Well beautiful people it's lunchtime here by us and we do love to eat when on holiday so I'm going to love and leave you for a while.
Eat, sleep and read. A holiday made in Heaven.
Have fun, be good and chat again soon.
Mwah xxx Noels
There is only Love
Noels
Forums Old Timer

Postby PaigeB » Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:04 pm

1 week + 1 day ago I had to euthanize my 8 year old best Lab-Pit mix EVER. Sydney Louise was diagnosed with metastatic cancer in her lungs after what appeared to be a brief illness Thurs-Sat, she could no longer breathe comfortably and we took her in for a massive dose of sedatives for her final Sleep.

Life IS short. Humans GET A FULL PHYSICAL TODAY! And... adopt a dog/cat from your local shelter. :mrgreen:

Much Love from Our hearts to Yours...
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby Lali » Sun Dec 18, 2016 4:10 pm

I'm so sorry Paige. I know how painful it can be saying goodbye to a pet! (I have had to put two cats down (both with cancer). The second cat's vet said he would have to operate to find out what kind of cancer it was and that there was no guarantee that it would be treatable. I opted to put him to sleep rather than go through that. But it's still hard I know.
Lali
Forums Old Timer

Postby Noels » Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:34 pm

I ditto that. It sounds really unbelievable and weak but when my first toypom passed unexpectedly in 2013 I literally could not continue with normal life as I cried for almost 3 months. He was with me 24/7 - in the bathroom, the office, the kitchen, on the couch watching TV. ... a true companion.
It's the last day of our family holiday and although I enjoyed it tremendously I am definitely looking forward to getting home. Hehehe. .... I miss my furry friends and are looking forward to the last bit of spring cleaning that await before the new year arrive.
Have an awesome day and chat again soon. To rest is necessary but there's definitely no better place than home
Mwah xxx Noels
There is only Love
Noels
Forums Old Timer

Postby Spirit Flower » Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:41 pm

Life IS short. Humans GET A FULL PHYSICAL TODAY!

And, if getting up there in years, like me at 58, get a colonoscopy. Colon cancer is very common and a horrible way to die. I got mine this year and it was a weight off my mind. I can forget it for 10 years.
...a score card reading zero...
Spirit Flower
Trusted Servant

Postby michmjon » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:37 pm

PaigeB wrote:1 week + 1 day ago I had to euthanize my 8 year old best Lab-Pit mix EVER. Sydney Louise was diagnosed with metastatic cancer in her lungs after what appeared to be a brief illness Thurs-Sat, she could no longer breathe comfortably and we took her in for a massive dose of sedatives for her final Sleep.

Life IS short. Humans GET A FULL PHYSICAL TODAY! And... adopt a dog/cat from your local shelter. :mrgreen:

Much Love from Our hearts to Yours...

I lost my beloved friend and companion of 9 years, a beautiful Pit Bull full of nothing but love and kindness, to cancer three weeks ago. Monday I went to the local shelter and adopted a 10 month old ball of energy and attitude. Yesterday was her first day in our house and one short day later she is 100% a member of the family- she even laid down and took a nap with our ornery old cat, snuggling right up next to him!

There is no joy greater in life than a puppy. I woke up this morning and she immediately put a smile on my face and a spark in my heart! My sympathies for your loss, PaigeB. My departed Fur Baby can never be replaced- there will be no other dog ever like her.
michmjon
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Noels » Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:16 am

Aaaaaaahhhh so sorry for your loss Mich :( but jippiiiieee for you and your new furry friend :D There is a saying "the only one who love you more than it loves itself is your dog " and I agree with it most of the times. Not always, as there are a very small number of people who do love unconditionally.
Many happy days and memories to be made for the both of you :D
mwah xxx
There is only Love
Noels
Forums Old Timer

Return to If It Doesn't Fit Anywhere Else