opinions on Antabuse

Got an issue with someone or something? Want to whine a little? Here's the place to do it, or to get to know folks, or ask those questions that don't fit anywhere else.

opinions on Antabuse

Postby Alanmctavish » Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:21 am

HI, i am in a bit of a dilema at the minute. I have been going to AA meetings and other outside groups to help me in my recovery for around a year. Ive suffered 4 relapses where i have ended up either in hospital or doing a home detox. At the beginning the subs.. misuse dr recommended antabuse.

I have had and read informatin given to me and i dont reallyt know what to do. Ive heard good and bad stories. obviously it ius a deterrant as the side effects are horrendous and also having to change lifestyle stuff, like food deodrant all that trivial stuff.

I havent had a drink for 5 weeks and im feeling optimistic this time as i am taking it a day at a time rather than projecting too far ahead and not putting too much pressure on myself.

Any help wold be great. I have a drs appoint tomorrow to discuss it futher.

cheers GB
Alanmctavish
Forums Enthusiast

Re: opinions on Antabuse

Postby avaneesh912 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 5:09 am

Fear based recovery is not an option for a person who is alcoholic. His/her mind would trick him/her into taking that first drink. I lost my brother and have heard few stories about how people stood in front of the mirror with their cell phone ready to dial 911 and a glass of their favorite drink on their other hand. Because these options don't lift the obsession to drink. If you are serious about recovery, want to live a normal life without any mind altering substance, I would suggest, you dig into the 12 steps. Find a sponsor who would help you understand the internal un-manageability that always leads you to that blank spot and then the first drink and the terrible cycle and help you have a spiritual awakening.

There are some great workshops too if you would, I can send you a link to your in-box.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby positrac » Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:53 am

I had that administered back in my rehab days in 1990 and it kept me and my mind from being in the gutter wondering if I could drink. If you can't trust yourself then why risk mental mind screwing and just take it until you are able to handle society and also the stress of being newly sober again.

Just saying I hated taking it; but it worked for me and I had to deal with reality of not being able to sneak a drink.

six in one and 1/2 dozen in the other.
You must live your life from beginning to end: No one else can do it for you.
Hopi Proverb
positrac
Forums Old Timer

Postby ezdzit247 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:50 am

Hi Alanmctavish.

Congratulations on 5 weeks of sobriety!

I can identify. I too struggled with trying to stay sober for almost two years after I first called my local AA hotline for help with my drinking problem. I'd be sober for a month or so, then my head would tell me I could drink again and I would. I never took antabuse, but I did finally discover AA's 24 hour plan and that--and going to lots and lots of meetings--worked really well for me. Sounds like you've discovered AA's one day at a time plan too.... :D

Many alcoholics experience what medical professionals refer to as PAWS--post acute withdrawal symptoms--when they try to stop drinking. Looking back, I now understand that I was one of those alcoholics and that I kept relapsing because I kept trying to get relief from the horrible PAWS symptoms by self-medicating with alcohol out of desperation because other doctor prescribed medications, like tranquilizers (valium, librium, etc) did not give me any relief. There are several good recovery articles on PAWS available on the internet you can find by doing a google search. I think Wikipedia has a page on it too. If you are experiencing any of the symptoms described, please discuss them with your doctor so he or she and you can work out a treatment plan that will work effectively for you and help you to stay away from that first drink. If antabuse is working for you, great. If your doctor wants to prescribe additional medications for you as well, go with your doctor's opinion so that you are receiving all the help you can get in recovery. Good luck!

Keep coming back....
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.” -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
ezdzit247
Forums Old Timer

Postby PaigeB » Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:59 am

Tradition 10 (Short Form): Alcoholics Anonymous has no opinion on outside issues, hence the AA name ought never be drawn into public controversy.

and

Tradition 10 (Long Form)
: No A.A. group or member should ever, in such a way as to implicate A.A., express any opinion on outside controversial issues–particularly those of politics, alcohol reform, or sectarian religion. The Alcoholics Anonymous groups oppose no one. Concerning such matters they can express no views whatever.

Anabuse is an outside issue. AA as a whole and e-aa as a group holds NO OPINION. What you may see is the opinions of individual members.

Also, I am moving this thread to another Forum, where outside issues are openly discussed.
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby Layne » Fri Aug 05, 2016 6:31 pm

In my first attempts at sobriety, at which I failed miserably, my sister suggested antabuse. In a moment of clarity, I answered that antabuse would be a band-aid solution and I needed a real solution. For this alcoholic, it was to be found in AA and the twelve steps. The solution is real and has no bad side effects, only positive ones.
Layne
Forums Old Timer

Postby Alanmctavish » Sat Aug 06, 2016 1:00 pm

thanks for the repsonses.

as the above are peoples opinions its should be sound. I didnt think it was an outside issue as Antabuse has been given for years to help maintain sobriety as per 100s of studies. It seems AA should move with the times sometimes and the old school "lets all stick to literal meaning" attitude should change.

But thanks for the advice. the dr doesnt think i need it at the moment as i am managing day at a time.

Cheers.

A
Alanmctavish
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Alanmctavish » Sat Aug 06, 2016 1:28 pm

PaigeB wrote:Tradition 10 (Short Form): Alcoholics Anonymous has no opinion on outside issues, hence the AA name ought never be drawn into public controversy.

and

Tradition 10 (Long Form)
: No A.A. group or member should ever, in such a way as to implicate A.A., express any opinion on outside controversial issues–particularly those of politics, alcohol reform, or sectarian religion. The Alcoholics Anonymous groups oppose no one. Concerning such matters they can express no views whatever.

Anabuse is an outside issue. AA as a whole and e-aa as a group holds NO OPINION. What you may see is the opinions of individual members.

Also, I am moving this thread to another Forum, where outside issues are openly discussed.

Everything is an outside issue apart from AA. AA is there for people to live their lifes outside of an AA meeting, therefore your saying nothing else can be discussed.
Alanmctavish
Forums Enthusiast

Postby ODAAT » Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:12 pm

I tried Antabuse in early sobriety. The doc explained to me the important information about the treatment and how it could fit into my recovery program. I took Antabuse for 10 months. It worked for me. I had some trepidation about discontinuing use but I knew I couldn't take it forever and had learned that my AA program of recovery could keep me sober without the treatment. And, thankfully, it has for many years.

I don't see how sharing here of our experiences in early sobriety can be considered an "outside issue." Nobody here is asking for the Official Policy of Alcoholics Anonymous Regarding Antabuse. AA does not prohibit its members from taking this drug. Nor does AA bar members from talking about it.
ODAAT
Forums Enthusiast

Postby PuppyEars » Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:14 pm

ODAAT wrote:I don't see how sharing here of our experiences in early sobriety can be considered an "outside issue." Nobody here is asking for the Official Policy of Alcoholics Anonymous Regarding Antabuse. AA does not prohibit its members from taking this drug. Nor does AA bar members from talking about it.

Is antabuse in the big book?

How the heck could the real deal take it as prescribed anyway? I would of taken the whole damn bottle to get REAL sober if it would of crossed my path when I was out there.
By the way, e-aa is not a free speech venue. Sucks right.
PuppyEars
Forums Contributor

Postby avaneesh912 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 4:14 am

People who get cranky when they stop drinking can never be on this. The spiritual malady will lead them into that blind spot and they would say screw it and regardless of the consequences will experiment with the drink.

Have you heard people say I drank to get wasted? They can never relate to the phenomenon of craving. Its just like that. People who are not alcoholic cannot relate to the state of being restless irritable and discontented. For them its all about drinking a insane amount of alcohol. With mild therapy and fear based solution like this they can get well. They don't even have to work the 12 steps.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Return to If It Doesn't Fit Anywhere Else