Wondering the stance on Marijuana

Got an issue with someone or something? Want to whine a little? Here's the place to do it, or to get to know folks, or ask those questions that don't fit anywhere else.

Wondering the stance on Marijuana

Postby Alex the hiker » Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:56 pm

I'm alex. I'm an alcoholic/ drug user. I've been clean for 8 days now. I've just gone to my first aa meeting and it was a very positive experience. I've been having an IV cocaine addiction on top of a heavy drinking problem for well over a year now. I'm even in IOP voluntarily to get help with this. I've made an ass of myself time and time again from booze and blow but I can't say the same for weed. I really want to keep using weed while continuing to receive the help I need for booze and blow. How important is it to stay 100% sober from all substance?
Alex the hiker
Forums Newcomer

Re: Wondering the stance on Marijuana

Postby avaneesh912 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:26 pm

I expect complete abstinence from all mind altering substances from people I work with. Addictive mind is such that, it will eventually drag them back to other stuff. I have seen too many people fall into the trap in the correction facility I go to.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby Feeya » Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:07 pm

Alex the hiker wrote:I'm alex. I'm an alcoholic/ drug user. I've been clean for 8 days now. I've just gone to my first aa meeting and it was a very positive experience. I've been having an IV cocaine addiction on top of a heavy drinking problem for well over a year now. I'm even in IOP voluntarily to get help with this. I've made an ass of myself time and time again from booze and blow but I can't say the same for weed. I really want to keep using weed while continuing to receive the help I need for booze and blow. How important is it to stay 100% sober from all substance?

Hi Alex, congrats on 8 days!
For me, smoking weed is no longer an option. Not just because it stimulates the same part of my brain and triggers my 'addictive behavior' but also because I do not ever want to depend on a substance that alters my mind.
If I smoke weed I know I can't stop. Just like with alcohol and other substances I am not in control and one is never enough.
In my first days of sobriety I tried to find things to binge on, things I could do to make me feel better, 'the instant relief', but since I started working the steps that feeling of 'needing something else' has gotten a lot better.
Go find a sponsor and start working the steps.
One day at a time.
Feeya
Forums Contributor

Postby Larryp713 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:01 am

Welcome Alex - good luck on your journey.
Weed never caused me problems, but I also never have had an urge to smoke weed. I only smoked when other people had it around, and frankly I rarely felt a big effect from it. I do not smoke weed now, nor do any other drug unless there is a legitimate medical reason. I think if I would have smoked weed when I was early in sobriety, I almost certainly would have abused it or started drinking again. And now that I have real recovery, I don't really need to chemically alter my mind. I am just not interested anymore. I was just in Denver with no adult supervision, and I never gave a thought to smoking weed or drinking. Grateful beyond words for that. Larry
Trudging the Road of Happy Destiny!!!
Larryp713
Forums Contributor

Postby PaigeB » Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:24 am

Tradition 10 (Short Form): Alcoholics Anonymous has no opinion on outside issues, hence the AA name ought never be drawn into public controversy.

and

Tradition 10 (Long Form)
: No A.A. group or member should ever, in such a way as to implicate A.A., express any opinion on outside controversial issues–particularly those of politics, alcohol reform, or sectarian religion. The Alcoholics Anonymous groups oppose no one. Concerning such matters they can express no views whatever.

Pot is an outside issue. AA as a whole and e-aa as a group holds NO OPINION. What you may see is the opinions of individual members.

Also, I am moving this thread to another Forum, where outside issues are openly discussed.
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Return to If It Doesn't Fit Anywhere Else