Just For Today

Got an issue with someone or something? Want to whine a little? Here's the place to do it, or to get to know folks, or ask those questions that don't fit anywhere else.

Just For Today

Postby ezdzit247 » Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:34 pm

Just For Today

1. Just for Today, I will try to live through this day only, and not tackle my whole life-problem at once. I can do some things for twelve hours that would appall me if I felt I had to keep them up for a lifetime.

2. Just for Today, I will be Happy. This assumes that what Abraham Lincoln said is true, that “most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” Happiness is from Within; it is not a matter of Externals.

3. Just for Today, I will Adjust myself to what Is, and not try to Adjust everything to my own desires. I will take my family, my business, and my luck as they come, and fit myself to them.

4. Just for Today, I will take care of my Body. I will exercise it, care for it, and nourish it, and not abuse it nor neglect it; so that it will be a perfect machine for my will.

5. Just for Today, I will try to strengthen my mind, I will study. I will learn something useful, I will not be a mental loafer all day. I will read something that requires effort, though and concentration.

6. Just for Today, I will exercise my Soul. In three ways, to wit:

(a) I will do somebody a good turn and not get found out. If anybody knows of it, it will not count.

(b) I will do at least two things I don’t want to do, as William James suggests just for exercise.

(c) I will not show any one that my feelings are hurt. They may be hurt, but Today I will not show it.

7. Just for To-day, I will be agreeable. I will look as well as I can, dress as becomingly as possible, talk low, act courteously, be liberal with flattery, criticize not one bit nor find fault with anything, and not try to regulate nor improve anybody.

8. Just for Today, I will have a Programme. I will write down just what I expect to do every hour. I may not follow it exactly, but I’ll have it. It will save me from the two pests Hurry and Indecision.

9. Just for Today, I will have a quiet half hour, all by myself, and relax. During this half hour, some time, I will think of God, so as to get a little more perspective to my life.

10. Just for Today, I will be Unafraid. Especially I will not be afraid to be Happy, to enjoy what is Beautiful, to love and to believe that those I love love me.

(Copyright, 1921 by Frank Crane)

This poem was originally written by Sybil F. Partridge in 1916 and was reprinted in "How To Stop Worrying, And Start Living" by Dale Carnegie in 1951. The edited version of her poem (above) was written by newspaper columnist Frank Crane and published in his Boston Globe in 1921. The above version was later reprinted by Hazelden and added to a series of wallet size cards that AA people carry with them and hand out to others, especially newcomers. It was very helpful to me to include this poem in my morning mediation when I finally got sober.
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.” -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
ezdzit247
Forums Old Timer

Re: Just For Today

Postby PaigeB » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:20 am

Lots of sponsors use "other literature" to help newcomers. I pretty much stick to AA approved stuff until they finish the Steps. I am not too worried about a copyright issue on this Hazelton publication, but I am going to move it to "If It Doesn't Fit Anywhere Else" Forum.

:D Sorry if this causes discord, just trying to do the next right thing!
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby Feeya » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:22 am

This is hanging on my wall, right over my bed.
Thank you for sharing and giving a little insight on the history of this wonderfully helpful writing!

Good twenty four hours!
Feeya
One day at a time.
Feeya
Forums Contributor

Postby ezdzit247 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:31 am

PaigeB wrote:Lots of sponsors use "other literature" to help newcomers. I pretty much stick to AA approved stuff until they finish the Steps. I am not too worried about a copyright issue on this Hazelton publication, but I am going to move it to "If It Doesn't Fit Anywhere Else" Forum.

:D Sorry if this causes discord, just trying to do the next right thing!

No problem.
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.” -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
ezdzit247
Forums Old Timer

Postby ezdzit247 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:22 pm

Feeya wrote:This is hanging on my wall, right over my bed.
Thank you for sharing and giving a little insight on the history of this wonderfully helpful writing!

Good twenty four hours!
Feeya

Wonderful!

I found this bio information about the original author on the net today:

Sybil F. Partrisge

Born: Cir­ca 1856, London, Middlesex, England

Pseudonyms

S. M. X.
Sister Mary Xavier

In 1881 Partridge was a governess in a school in Liverpool, while living in the convent of Notre Dame.

As a re­sult of ex­tens­ive corr­es­pond­ence…I re­ceived an in­vi­ta­tion to call up­on [the au­thor of “Just for To­day,” pre­vi­ous­ly iden­ti­fied on­ly as] S. M. X. in the con­vent of Notre Dame, on Mount Plea­sant, Li­ver­pool.

I found her a charm­ing, sweet-faced nun of the Ro­man Cath­o­lic faith who had giv­en her life to teach­ing in that an­cient school for girls. She was per­haps 60 years of age, small of sta­ture, most gra­cious in de­mean­or, of at­trac­tive per­son­al­i­ty and with­al most un­as­sum­ing and re­ti­ri­ng.

I told her I had come to pay my re­spects to the au­thor of “Lord, for to­mor­row and its needs,” and to tell her how much we thought of it in Amer­i­ca. She mo­dest­ly dis­claimed what she as­sumed to be praise, and said she knew lit­tle of the world out­side of her four walls, and did not know that her little fu­gi­tive had tra­veled so far. I told her I was a Pres­by­ter­i­an liv­ing in Chi­ca­go [Il­li­nois], and that we Amer­i­cans loved her hymn, and want­ed to know of its au­thor and her real name…

Finally, the nun an­swered my que­ry di­rect­ly, “Yes, I’ll give you my name. It is Sy­bil F. Part­ridge. But it would be my pref­er­ence that the great world out­side should not know it till af­ter I am gone.” She had hec­tic cough, and I learn she re­cent­ly has passed away, so I am at li­ber­ty now to tell the sto­ry.

…[She] was good enough to give me, in her own hand­writ­ing, the full po­em of near­ly a do­zen stan­zas, to which as an ad­den­dum, she ap­pend­ed the verse fol­low­ing, writ­ten for me in re­mem­brance of the vi­sit I am de­scrib­ing.

Since “Today” gave to me in you a friend,
Unknown, unseen for long, so to the end,
I pray you let me, too, that title borrow;
And keep, I pray you, in your mindful pray­er
The name which you discovered with such care—
Till we shall see and know, in God’s tomorrow!
S. M. X.

“The Catho­lic Au­thor of a Pro­test­ant Hymn,” by Fred­er­ick M. Steele, in The Con­ti­nent, No­vem­ber 11, 1920

It's been a hundred years since her poem "Just For Today" was first published. I think she'd be pleased and amazed to know how many people have been touched and helped by her words.
ezdzit247
Forums Old Timer

Postby Barbara D. » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:24 am

Great poem! I suspect the spiritual principles found in our Steps appear in bits and pieces of many religious and non-religious sources.

But I was getting overwhelmed just reading down the list!!! Early on, this would have been like trying to digest the Big Book in one sitting!!!

I never did do morning prayers and meditations about my expectations for today. As spiritual principles began to change my habits and thinking and turn into a new belief system, these ideas caught up with me when I started getting off track. At first, I didn't pay attention. Then, I was aware but did it my way anyway. And finally I began to recognize when I was trying to play God, was out-of-balance with one foot in the past and one foot in the future, or was blind with tunnel vision, etcetera. It's possible I have a tendency to do things backwards. :mrgreen:

I don't think I've consciously worked on all the goals in the poem. But I've experienced improvement in all areas. I think spiritual principles are all inter-connected. So while I'm working on one, I'm actually engaging all of them.

Just For Today, I've tested my personal program against my belief system and shared on Forums. Barbara D, alcoholic.
Barbara D.
Forums Contributor

Postby Feeya » Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:48 am

I think the poem is a great exercise to learn to take it day by day.
As someone fairly new to recovery I am struggling with taking my time and not rushing things sometimes and, as I said in another thread, 'Just for today' reduces my fear of the future a lot.
Because it reminds me of the fact that my only focus right now needs to be today. If I don't make it through today without drinking, I might not even have a future...
Thank you for the info ezdzit and thank you for your share Barbara, I really enjoy reading your posts!

Feeya
One day at a time.
Feeya
Forums Contributor

Return to If It Doesn't Fit Anywhere Else