D.U.I.

Got an issue with someone or something? Want to whine a little? Here's the place to do it, or to get to know folks, or ask those questions that don't fit anywhere else.

D.U.I.

Postby K225 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:44 pm

Well, now I've really f*cked up bad. After a short period of sobriety, I relapsed for about a week and a half. Problem is in that time I also got a D.U.I and lost my licence for 3 months and my car is in impound. I couldn't believe it. 14 years of functional alcoholism and drunk driving without so much as a ticket and I get pulled over less than a block from my house. I think the universe has decided to cut me off before I kill myself or someone. When I get my car back I'll have to breathe into a breathylizer tied into the ignition every time I start it. Worst relapse ever. Oh well, live and learn...
"When you're going through hell, keep going".-Winston Churchill
K225
Forums Enthusiast

Re: D.U.I.

Postby Lali » Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:06 pm

I'm sorry about your relapse and the consequences that come with it. Try not to fret too much about it as its happened and you can't undo it. Was anyone hurt? If not, it could have been worse. Having had 14 years of sobriety, you probably know what you have to do. Stay close to the program, stay close to your HP, dive into service and use this incident as a learning tool.

I actually got 2 DUIs within 60 days during my drinking "career". Feel free to PM me if you need to talk or vent.

Good luck.
Lali
Forums Old Timer

Postby Tosh » Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:05 am

Lali wrote:I actually got 2 DUIs within 60 days during my drinking "career".

Stop showing off, Lali. :lol:

@K225; What are you going to do that's different this time around?
Come, come, whoever you are. Wanderer, worshiper, lover of leaving. It doesn't matter. Ours is not a caravan of despair. Come, even if you have broken your vows a thousand times. Come, yet again, come, come.” Rumi (No sniggering from the sex addicts)
Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Postby avaneesh912 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:44 am

I couldn't believe it.

Why?
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby ezdzit247 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:20 am

K225 wrote:... I think the universe has decided to cut me off before I kill myself or someone....

I like that. It's a very good way to view your DUI experience.

Have you been to an AA meeting yet? I'd guess about 80% of the AA members who attend meetings in my area first walked through the doors because they got a DUI and a "nudge from the judge". If you get one, come visit us and stay for a cup of coffee and a meeting. You might like what you hear in the rooms. Glad you found this forum.

Keep coming back....
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.” -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
ezdzit247
Forums Old Timer

Postby PaigeB » Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:03 pm

I relapsed for about a week and a half. Problem is in that time I also got a D.U.I

I have a friend that got a DUI the day she got out of treatment! She got picked up about 530pm and she says she was "not even that drunk" and it was awful to sit in jail and not be able to pass out, just sitting there and suffering the phenomena of craving produced by the first drink.

Personally, I think the WORST thing that can happen to me if I decide to drink is Nothing. Then I am doomed to go onto the bitter end and die a long, lonely, ugly death by alcoholism.
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby positrac » Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:07 am

Thanks for your share as you posted some real stuff about our disease and the symptoms of alcoholism. You have choices today and you will keep kicking yourself in self pity for a while until you are sick and tired of being sick and tired.

Misery is optional today and you have the opportunity to start over and learn lessons and maybe you will find success in recovery this time.

Be well.
You must live your life from beginning to end: No one else can do it for you.
Hopi Proverb
positrac
Forums Old Timer

Postby Lali » Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:18 pm

Tosh wrote:

I know, I know. But I always want to be the best in all I do!!! Sad thing is, I wasn't done. I continued to drink MORE to wipe away the memory. And almost 2 years later, my new husband had me arrested for domestic violence while trashed. I think we have all read the part in the BB where is says that we often do not remember the consequences of our drinking even a short time later. Cunning, baffling and powerful for sure!
Lali
Forums Old Timer

Postby Hanna » Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:15 am

K225 wrote: I think the universe has decided to cut me off before I kill myself or someone.

I felt the same way after my 2nd dui, I thank God every day I was stopped before I hurt anyone. I have read so many horrific stories about those who weren't as lucky as you and I to be stopped before we hurt or killed someone. I lost my license for 2 years and had to breathe into an ignition lock for 1 year after I got my license back. A women the next town over, same age as me, killed a young man on Christmas Eve driving home drunk from a holiday party, she faces prison time and she has to live with fact that she was solely responsible for killing that young man. Her family and his are devastated.

There but for the Grace of God there go I~

Start at step one and keep going!
Hanna
We will comprehend the word serenity and we will know peace
Hanna
Forums Long Timer

Postby Layne » Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:36 am

Why hate the cop, did he make you drink the two shots of voli vodka and then drive to the near one super market to take cat food, just so that he could fine you 100 dollars?
Layne
Forums Old Timer

Postby michmjon » Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:36 am

I've been to a few meetings where it was nothing but the "nudge from the judge" crowd. Nothing like a ten minute meeting of nothing but "just listening today," :lol:
I remember one meeting where a girl walked in for her first "nudge" meeting. She just couldn't get why the judge had sent her there and said she wasn't an alcoholic, hardly ever drinks and got caught right outside the bar parking lot for failure to stop before turning onto the road- she was there for a bachelorette party and blew right at the legal limit. I just replied that it probably was just best that she came to the meetings and just listened and that there was no requirement ever to speak at a meeting. Sometimes I really question the sanity of the courts in sending people like her to AA. They would be far better off doing time picking up trash off the sides of the roads and the beaches, working in homeless shelter kitchens or laundry facilities. Or maybe pull their licenses for a couple years. It seems the lesson would be far better learned and remembered than making them attend AA and at least they would be doing something for society rather than something they consider, and probably is, a total waste of their time as they aren't alcoholics.
michmjon
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Tosh » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:12 pm

Lali wrote:
Tosh wrote:

I know, I know. But I always want to be the best in all I do!!! Sad thing is, I wasn't done. I continued to drink MORE to wipe away the memory. And almost 2 years later, my new husband had me arrested for domestic violence while trashed. I think we have all read the part in the BB where is says that we often do not remember the consequences of our drinking even a short time later. Cunning, baffling and powerful for sure!

Just saw this.

I once overheard three ladies chatting at a meeting. They were all stable, sober, well dressed and respectable looking ladies.

Their topic of conversation - in amongst the laughing - was 'restraint techniques and devices the police had used on them'.

I thought they were brilliant.

I think you are too; kudos to you.

I was - with the odd exception - quite a boring drunk, really. :lol:
Come, come, whoever you are. Wanderer, worshiper, lover of leaving. It doesn't matter. Ours is not a caravan of despair. Come, even if you have broken your vows a thousand times. Come, yet again, come, come.” Rumi (No sniggering from the sex addicts)
Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Postby Lali » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:52 pm

Tosh wrote:I was - with the odd exception - quite a boring drunk, really. :lol:

Aaaaw, don't be so hard on yourself, Tosh. Aren't you one and the same guy who once "came to" in another country!!!
Lali
Forums Old Timer

Postby michmjon » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:03 am

I'm probably gonna tick a few people off by saying this, but I am of the opinion that a person should lose their license for at least a year on first offense for a D.U.I. On a second offense they should PERMANENTLY lose their license. This is how many other countries handle D.U.I.'s and I see no reason why this country shouldn't do this as well.
michmjon
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Brock » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:24 am

I don't think you will tick too many off with that, most might agree. But you might if you take the welcomed addition of new topics here, and spoil it by continued revival of old ones. Certain posters like the person looking for someone to sponsor get lost and forgotten, when one persons name dominates the board.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Next

Return to If It Doesn't Fit Anywhere Else