The Power of Now

Got an issue with someone or something? Want to whine a little? Here's the place to do it, or to get to know folks, or ask those questions that don't fit anywhere else.
philadelphia25
Forums Newcomer

The Power of Now

Post by philadelphia25 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:16 pm

Has any read or is reading this book called the power of now by eckart tolle? It is quite the book it has given me new hope and out look on everything.

Lali
Forums Old Timer

Re: The Power of Now

Post by Lali » Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:33 pm

You are in the right place! Avaneesh talks about this book often. I'm sure he will be along to share with you about the book.

P.S. I have the book on my nook, but haven't gotten around to reading it yet, I'm sorry to say!
Step 1: I can't
Step 2: He can
Step 3: I think I'll let him

philadelphia25
Forums Newcomer

Post by philadelphia25 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:08 pm

You should set sometime aside to read it even if it just a few pages this book I one of the best I have ever read if not the best it helps me a lot when I get depressed or anxious which is dwelling on the past and on the future and they way the book is written has a calming way to it.

Lali
Forums Old Timer

Post by Lali » Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:17 pm

I think I will make a better effort! I would like to ask you and I will ask Avaneesh as well: what would you say is the biggest message you have gotten from the book?
Step 1: I can't
Step 2: He can
Step 3: I think I'll let him

philadelphia25
Forums Newcomer

Post by philadelphia25 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:56 pm

For me it is freeing yourself from your mind it's on page 17 it's basically talking about how to get out of your mind and just observe your thoughts and really just not only use your brain but also your body but the great thing about this book for me is everyday it's something different that helps me most of the time I just open it to a random page and just start reading but I would definitely suggest to read you are not your mind starting on page11 I have read this chapter three times today I find it very very helpful

avaneesh912
Forums Old Timer

Post by avaneesh912 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:33 pm

what would you say is the biggest message you have gotten from the book?
It helped me realize that I don't have to be driven by mind unless I get identified with it (Egoic thinking). When he says we are identified with our mind, an example I can give is, when we are in the shower, we may physically be there, but our mind is thinking of something about some thing we have to do later in the office or in your case helping your parents. The bathing part is all mechanical, just like we drive. Its all mechanical, we stop at the lights/stop signs, put on the indicator again your mind is elsewhere.

As you become the observer of your own thoughts, you get into a new dimension of living. The other day I posted his statement:

Thinking and consciousness are not synonymous. Thinking is only a small aspect of consciousness. Thought cannot exist without consciousness, but consciousness does not need thought.

You are consciousness but your thoughts are inhibiting you from realizing it. In eastern philosophy they call it the field where thoughts arise. You are the field.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)

Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Post by Tosh » Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:21 am

philadelphia25 wrote:You should set sometime aside to read it even if it just a few pages this book I one of the best I have ever read if not the best it helps me a lot when I get depressed or anxious which is dwelling on the past and on the future and they way the book is written has a calming way to it.
I tried avoiding the Steps - making amends in particular - by practising the Power of Now. It basically says if we're in the present moment, we won't be troubled by our pasts or the thoughts of the future.

However, I'd abandoned a couple of kids, treated an ex wife terribly, and had been disowned by my mother.

I couldn't sit quietly with this kind of shame and guilt that I carried; my past haunted me.

Cutting a long story short, I found that to be comfortable, I had to amend my past, and the Steps provided the structure to do that, and a sponsor helped loads too, and now I'm so Zen, I make the Power of Now look like the Power of Then.

:lol:
Come, come, whoever you are. Wanderer, worshiper, lover of leaving. It doesn't matter. Ours is not a caravan of despair. Come, even if you have broken your vows a thousand times. Come, yet again, come, come.” Rumi (No sniggering from the sex addicts)

avaneesh912
Forums Old Timer

Post by avaneesh912 » Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:25 am

With an awakened spirit, now when I read both the books, I see the same spiritual teachings across. But, I still wouldn't recommend (PON) to new-comers. Why? There is an important piece called identification. ET though talks about addiction, there is no Bill Story to identify with. And in Bagavad Gita there is no stories either. Straight getting into surrender.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)

Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Post by Tosh » Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:05 am

avaneesh912 wrote:But, I still wouldn't recommend (PON) to new-comers. Why? There is an important piece called identification.
I think there's more. In another spiritual tradition the teacher wouldn't have taught meditation first; firstly he taught how to live an ethical life, and that's what the steps leading to Step 11 do - they show us how to live ethically (whatever that means to each individual).

And then we can meditate, practise the power of now, be mindful, be aware of the present moment, be God conscious; whatever we wish to call it.

I mean it's very difficult to be in the present moment if we're not living ethical lives; if we're worried about being caught for doing something we know we shouldn't be doing. Or being dragged down by guilt or any other negative mental affliction.

I'm also not sure identification is necessary in the sense of having a spiritual awakening; the necessary factor seems to start with a rock bottom, also known as a 'dark night of the soul'. Tolle had one of these, so did all of us.
Come, come, whoever you are. Wanderer, worshiper, lover of leaving. It doesn't matter. Ours is not a caravan of despair. Come, even if you have broken your vows a thousand times. Come, yet again, come, come.” Rumi (No sniggering from the sex addicts)

PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Post by PaigeB » Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:50 am

I moved this thread to the If It Doesn't Fit Anywhere Else since it is a non-aa related discussion.

Paige
Step 6 is "AA's way of stating, the best possible attitude one can take in order to make a beginning on this lifetime job... with most of them we shall have to be content with patient improvement." 12&12 Step Six, p.65

kdub720
Forums Enthusiast

Post by kdub720 » Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:08 pm

I have not heard of this book, but I will check it out. I liked all of your responses on how it was a little different. I think recovery is individualistic, and what works for some may not work for others. Thank you for the Power of Now book advice.

Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Post by Tosh » Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:16 am

kdub720 wrote:I think recovery is individualistic, and what works for some may not work for others.
I'm probably taking this off topic, but generally when I hear this kind of thing I both agree and disagree.

I don't think our 12 Step program is some dogmatic path that must be adhered to like it's some kind of religion, but I do think the principles contained within it are vital.

A lot of folk don't like doing a Step 4 or 5, for example; these Steps certainly frightened me, along with Step 9, so I tried various stuff - including The Power of Now - to get out of doing them.

I think if it's the past that bothers you, there's no easy way out, we either deal with it, or it haunts us. Our past can certainly mess up our futures. As humans we tend to project our pasts into our futures; it's why some folk have really negative attitudes about what life holds in store for them. Their past has been S***, so they assume their future will be too.

The word 'amend' means to 'change' (in A.A. many newcomers think it means just saying sorry), but when we open a Word document and 'amend it', we change it. We can change our relationships with our pasts through this program, and most alkies seem to have a negative past, so I reckon doing the scary bits of the steps that help us deal with our pasts will work for most alkies.

I'm no longer tortured by guilt and shame over all the shitty things I've done. I feel comfortable with myself. If I feel comfortable, what need is there to drink?

avaneesh912
Forums Old Timer

Post by avaneesh912 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:37 am

How can we drop negativity, as you suggest?

By dropping it. How do you drop a piece of hot coal that you are holding in your hand? How do you drop some heavy and useless baggage that you are carrying? By recognizing that you don't want to suffer the pain or carry the burden anymore and then letting go of it.

Deep unconsciousness, such as the pain-body, or other deep pain, such as the loss of a loved one, usually needs to be transmuted through acceptance combined with the light of your presence - your sustained attention. Many patterns in ordinary unconsciousness, on the other hand, can simply be dropped once you know that you don't want them and don't need them anymore, once you realize that you have a choice, that you are not just a bundle of conditioned reflexes. All this implies that you are able to access the power of Now. Without it, you have no choice.

These are simple directions right? But we alcoholics need a complex solution. LOL. For some it does happen. Eckhart talks about people in death row realizing this. Absolute surrender.

I like the last Q&A in the book:

How will I know when I have surrendered?

When you no longer need to ask the question.

avaneesh912
Forums Old Timer

Post by avaneesh912 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:08 am

Next, we decided that hereafter in this drama of life, God was going to be our Director.

This is dis-identification from the mind like Eckhart will call it.

PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Post by PaigeB » Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:56 am

I just started reading Sam Harris's Waking Up (A Guide to Spirituality Without Religion) and I identify with it right off the bat. I was hooked on page 2.

I'll let ya know how it goes when an renowned atheist sees Love as the Life Changing force. :wink:
Step 6 is "AA's way of stating, the best possible attitude one can take in order to make a beginning on this lifetime job... with most of them we shall have to be content with patient improvement." 12&12 Step Six, p.65