Poaching Newcomers?

Got an issue with someone or something? Want to whine a little? Here's the place to do it, or to get to know folks, or ask those questions that don't fit anywhere else.
JohnElkRiver
Forums Enthusiast

Poaching Newcomers?

Post by JohnElkRiver »

While travelling in Texas I heard the chair of a meeting mention "poaching newcomers". He was in the midst of a share and seemed to be referring to it as something that would happen and he wouldn't dwell on it etc. But i'm not sure what he means. Anyone familiar with this phrase?

Tommy-S
Forums Old Timer

Re: Poaching Newcomers?

Post by Tommy-S »

Thanks, John

It sounds like a good reminder of what happens when people in Service Positions use the time to air personal grievances or dislikes, as I've heard speakers do in meetings, or on recordings, as it seems to foster arguments and division within AA.

But I do know those who consider it some kind of status to have a certain number of 'sponsees', with one who is none too kind about criticizing other sponsors in front of the new person... Throwing little barbs in about the other, that Polite Form of Character Assassination masquerading under the Disguise of Helping

That would be my guess of 'Poaching', though I would wait to hear from someone else because in Texas, they seem to hunt everything that moves. Maybe they DO have a Newcomer Season. He might know what the limits are, and when the season open & closes :wink:

Thanks... Tommy
Together, we don't have to cave in or wimp out to that Fatal First One, no matter what today!

johnd
Forums Long Timer

Post by johnd »

Hi John,
Never heard the term, The first thought that crossed my mind was the term 13 steppers. Mostly taking on the opposite sex for their personal purposes. That still exists sad to say. Preying on someone who is trying to get help for their problem,and unfortunately
the person who is misusing his principles by taking advantage of the unsuspecting newcomer or person struggling.Also I have recently learned that a particular longtimer in my area has made himself out to be a "Guru" so to speak, claims that he can teach you how to become "Spritual"s by following his simple program for a fee of course. Some choose to be sicker than others. Just thought I'd reply to you. John D,
Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans- Anonymous

Blue Moon
Forums Old Timer

Post by Blue Moon »

Sounds like a self-appointed "sponsor" who needs to leave newcomers alone until he's done more work on himself.
Ian S
AKA Blue Moon

Texan
Forums Long Timer

Post by Texan »

Never heard the term before. Our Game Wardons don't take kindly to poaching anything but eggs, and I'm pretty sure there aren't many that like their eggs poached in the first place.

Now I have seen certain cliques, shall we say that will recruit newcomers. Mostly the hipper 20 & younger 30 something crowd. or maybe those new members gravitate towards them. They are sorta like the preppy crowd back in my day except nowadays the "in" crowd all seem to have body piercings in other places than just in the earlobes. Nothing wrong with that, mind you. It just ain't a gonna happen to my redneck arse or my son if he knows what's good for him. :? :? :lol: :lol:
Keep on Keeping on, One Day at a Time.

Lali
Forums Old Timer

Post by Lali »

JohnElkRiver wrote:While travelling in Texas I heard the chair of a meeting mention "poaching newcomers". He was in the midst of a share and seemed to be referring to it as something that would happen and he wouldn't dwell on it etc. But i'm not sure what he means. Anyone familiar with this phrase?
Maybe he said "approaching" newcomers. Can you hear me now? :D
Step 1: I can't
Step 2: He can
Step 3: I think I'll let him

becksdad
Forums Long Timer

Post by becksdad »

That one made my day!!!! :lol: :lol:

PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Post by PaigeB »

hahahaha Lali !!

And Texan? You guys don't even poach eggs? (We like 'em fried in Iowa too)

:lol: :lol:
Cling to the thought that, in God's hands, the dark past is the greatest possession you have - the key to life and happiness for others. With it you can avert death and misery for them. page 124 BB

JohnElkRiver
Forums Enthusiast

Post by JohnElkRiver »

Thanks for the replies. In hindsight i'm going to guess it might have been in reference to what someone mentioned about someone collecting sponsees as sort of an ego driving function or declaring themselves to be their temp sponsor in appropiately.

Happy New Years everyone.

John

Tommy-S
Forums Old Timer

Post by Tommy-S »

Happy & sober New Year to you, too John

And everyone else :)

We never had it so good!
Together, we don't have to cave in or wimp out to that Fatal First One, no matter what today!

Texan
Forums Long Timer

Post by Texan »

PaigeB wrote:hahahaha Lali !!

And Texan? You guys don't even poach eggs? (We like 'em fried in Iowa too)

:lol: :lol:
Over medium for me. Three at that with crispy bacon, crispy hash browns and some biscuits to sop up the grease and what's left of the eggs. With sweet tea, of course.

I've got a friend that lives in Des Moines. He has a vacation home on a lake up north out of Duluth. We vacationed up there one year and I cooked breakfast for them one morning. Sort of a breakfast taco type thing with scrambled eggs, hash browns, breakfast sausage, sauteed onions and bell peppers all wrapped up in a flour tortilla, topped with shredded cheese and picante sauce. This guy is from Fargo, lived in Duluth, Liberal, KS and finally Des Moines with hopes of getting back up to Duluth in retirement. I guess he was brought up on pickled herring or something bland, but he nearly blew his head off when he put a teaspoon full of MILD picante sauce on his breakfast taco. This was at 9 in the morning and he was still complaining that evening at dinner about his scorched tongue.

Do you Mid Westerners not eat anything spicy?
Keep on Keeping on, One Day at a Time.

PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Post by PaigeB »

I don't think my family eats anything that is NOT spicy! Some folks are just sissys I guess... We eat jalapenos with everything! Sons are the type that take the dares for hot wings and whatever...
Cling to the thought that, in God's hands, the dark past is the greatest possession you have - the key to life and happiness for others. With it you can avert death and misery for them. page 124 BB

derek
Forums Enthusiast

Post by derek »

Happy new year to everyone, to get away from eggs if thats possible, I have heard of poaching newcomers, what I believe is that some people in A A set themselves up in business as counsellors & tout for business among newcomers who they think can afford it, I think this is known as poaching. When I first came to A A it was forbidden to share anything in that area. Thats all derek knows hope it helps, now back to the fried eggs. take care derek

PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Post by PaigeB »

Thanks Derek That makes sense... poaching means taking newcomers from AA into your business... GOOD!

JohnElkRiver
Forums Enthusiast

Post by JohnElkRiver »

Thanks Derek

Speaking as a Minnesotan, i'll agree things here are quite mild. I like spicy food so I often have to give SPECIFIC instructions to the chinese places. I've learned to ask for my Beef & Broccoli 3 Times Spicy so I get it right. If I just say Spicy I get my food with only hint of flavor. The problem is worse at buffets etc. You might as well eat at a nursing home.

I've found success in the asian grocery stores, they have ground (to powder) red pepper which is oh so yummy on pizza.