clearly intoxicated at a meeting, then drove her car

Got an issue with someone or something? Want to whine a little? Here's the place to do it, or to get to know folks, or ask those questions that don't fit anywhere else.
KelAppNic
Forums Newcomer

clearly intoxicated at a meeting, then drove her car

Post by KelAppNic » Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:23 am

The other day I was at a meeting where an AA member was clearly intoxicated. In and of itself, this is by no means a new event, and in 16 years of sobriety, I have witnessed this before. However, I was wondering what anyone else's take was on if there is an appropriate way to handle this. I realize this would be up to each individual group and there is no "standard operating procedure." What concerned me about this particular incident was that, not only was the woman severely impaired, it was clear that she had driven her car to the meeting and left after the meeting to drive home. This has weighed on the conscience of more than one of our members who were at that meeting. If we were all in a bar drinking, a bartender would have taken her keys and called her a cab. Don't we, as sober members of AA have a similar responsibility? I look forward to your input. Thanks! Kelly A.

avaneesh912
Forums Old Timer

Re: clearly intoxicated at a meeting, then drove her car

Post by avaneesh912 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:44 am

I would have called the cops. Perhaps a ticket would put the person closer to realization. I would prefer this. Calling a cab, may not help them realize. A DUI is better than a car crash, where they could kill themselves or others.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)

ebear
Forums Enthusiast

Post by ebear » Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:40 am

I think a group-conscience meeting would be appropriate to set a protocol. In the meantime, I would not be inclined to call the police surreptitiously. I might instead tell the woman, "You have a choice: get a ride or call a cab, or one of us will call the police. You are in no condition to drive and put lives in danger." Let her decide if she wants a new and awful bottom.
If you don't change direction, you'll end up where you're headed.

Layne
Forums Old Timer

Post by Layne » Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:01 am

I would approach the woman after the meeting and tell her that as a concerned citizen, not as a member of AA, I believe that you are too intoxicated to get behind the wheel and drive. Doing so would put other people's lives in jeopardy. So if you do, you will leave me with no other option but to call the police and report my suspicions.

PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Post by PaigeB » Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:01 am

Whether or not a person drives while drinking is an outside issue I think - therefore we have no "responsibility". Our primary purpose is to stay sober and help other alcoholics to achieve sobriety. Ask her how you can help her set down the booze once and for all by working the Steps.
Step 6 is "AA's way of stating, the best possible attitude one can take in order to make a beginning on this lifetime job... with most of them we shall have to be content with patient improvement." 12&12 Step Six, p.65

luisbarnett
Forums Newcomer

Post by luisbarnett » Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:45 pm

I wish other people would have done what you did. You possibly saved lives. My mother used to drink and drive. Had I been older and more aware of the ramifications of her actions I would have had no qualms on calling the police. There's a reason why it is illegal to consume alchohol and drive. Well done. The only one to blame is your friend. She choose to drive drunk and she suffered the consequences.