Alcoholic content in hand sanitizers

Got an issue with someone or something? Want to whine a little? Here's the place to do it, or to get to know folks, or ask those questions that don't fit anywhere else.

Alcoholic content in hand sanitizers

Postby Canada1 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:09 pm

Hi,

I'm having a tough time finding information on a topic we discussed earlier this evening. I was in a lecture meeting and the speaker mentioned that there was a possibility that the alcohol content in Purell could be strong enough to enter the bloodstream via the skin if the product was used multiple times daily. My concern is that this could subtlety trigger the allergy over time with moderate use. Does anyone know of this occurring?

Thanks all

*edit* - Thanks for the reply Dax, interesting. Brock, appreciate you moving the thread, sorry I was browsing the newcomer thread and posted when it came to mind.
Last edited by Canada1 on Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
Canada1
Forums Newcomer

Re: Alcoholic content in hand sanitizers

Postby Dax » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:13 pm

Take it with a grain of salt...

[quote]Alcohol. Hand sanitizers contain about 65 percent ethyl alcohol — pure alcohol — and some of it is absorbed into the skin. Research has found alcohol in the blood stream of people who used hand sanitizers, and children have been known to lick enough from their hands to become drunk. Alcohol from the sanitizers can also be absorbed through inhaling its vapors. Many hand sanitizers also contain isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol) which is a petrochemical that's a known neurotoxin. It is also absorbed through the skin and is toxic even in small doses. Together, the two types of alcohol can comprise up to 95 percent of a hand sanitizer's volume. Alcohol-free sanitizers aren't a safe substitute, either, because they also contain toxic ingredients such as benzalkonium chloride, which has been linked to immune dysfunction and hypersensitivity, which can cause asthma and chronic dermatitis.

In addition, alcohol can break down the protective outer layers of skin and allow chemicals, like those found in the hand sanitizer itself, such as parabens, to penetrate the skin easier, as well as chemicals such as BPA found on cash register receipts. In a recent study published in PLoS ONE, researchers found that volunteers who held thermal receipt papers after using sanitizers absorbed up to 100 times more chemicals those who hadn't used them.

Edit
Link Removed. Only AA approved links are permitted.
Dax
Forums Newcomer

Postby Brock » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:22 am

Thanks for this topic Canada1, and welcome to e-AA, welcome also to Dax who replied with some good information. We had a thread last year discussing hand sanitizers, but in that case we were concerned about people drinking them, I was trying to put a link to that but having problems with it, will try again later.

Subjects like these we tend to put in an area which covers general information, so rather than having it in the newcomer section, I have moved it to our section called ‘If it doesn't fit anywhere else.’ This is the same section the discussion was last time.

Found the link it's here - viewtopic.php?f=18&t=23279
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby Tosh » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:27 pm

Canada1 wrote:I'm having a tough time finding information on a topic we discussed earlier this evening. I was in a lecture meeting and the speaker mentioned that there was a possibility that the alcohol content in Purell could be strong enough to enter the bloodstream via the skin if the product was used multiple times daily. My concern is that this could subtlety trigger the allergy over time with moderate use. Does anyone know of this occurring?

I've used hand sanitizers daily, for years. I'm a tradesman and often don't have access to soap and water when I'm working, but I like clean hands before I eat.

I've never had any cravings for booze after using them, though the smell of them does make my mouth water. :lol:
Come, come, whoever you are. Wanderer, worshiper, lover of leaving. It doesn't matter. Ours is not a caravan of despair. Come, even if you have broken your vows a thousand times. Come, yet again, come, come.” Rumi (No sniggering from the sex addicts)
Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Postby Mike O » Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:01 am

Like Tosh, I've used hand sanitising lotion for years. I've never had any desire to drink following their use.
To be honest, I've never considered the presence or absence of alcohol in them, but now that I know there is alcohol present, I shall continue to use them, without any fear of relapse.
It would of course be concerning if an alcoholic, learning of the alcohol content, began to use them in the hope that the alcohol will have some kind of effect.
I'd be interested to know if anyone ever has had a problem with them.
Mike O
Forums Old Timer

Return to If It Doesn't Fit Anywhere Else