Husband is an alcoholic

If you're not an alcoholic but have questions about AA, here's the place to ask them. Anyone may post messages and replies in this forum.

Husband is an alcoholic

Postby parrishpair » Thu May 10, 2007 2:52 pm

Question:

My husband is an alcoholic I'm sure. He drinks 9 different alcoholic beverages each night (hard liquor). Of that 9 drinks he drinks two beers.

I consider him a functioning alcoholic. One would never know that he is a drinker. He functions just fine. The only thing I've learned is that I cannot discuss any serious issues with him at night.

My question is this: I've been told that when one drinks that much at his age (61) and has drank that much all of his adult life, he will probably be dead by age 70 because his liver will be pickled. He has high blood pressure and high cholestral, and doesn't take medication for that.

Your thoughts????
parrishpair
Forums Newcomer

Postby Layne » Thu May 10, 2007 9:20 pm

Not trying to be problematic, but I really have no thoughts on your post that would be of any help. I can tell you what my abuse of alcohol did to me. I can tell you what I did to stop drinking. I can tell you what I do to stay sober. I can tell you how my life has changed. Any thing beyond that is out of my realm of expertise and none of my business.
Layne
Forums Old Timer

Postby Blue Moon » Fri May 11, 2007 9:21 am

You can't generalise with simply "x drinks means death in y years". Other factors play a role, such as other fluids, diet, the body's condition, size, weight, etc. etc. Nobody online can diagnose this, he'd need to see a doctor.

That said, alcoholism is progressive. It doesnt get better. The only way for a heavy drinker to improve the chances of his liver, pancreas or brain from shutting down completely is to quit drinking.

I'd suggest you check out Al-anon in your area. You may benefit from their support regardless of whether he continues to drink or quits.
Ian S
AKA Blue Moon
Blue Moon
Site Admin

Re: Husband is an alcoholic

Postby Jimbo_D » Thu May 31, 2007 10:40 pm

parrishpair wrote:Question:

My husband is an alcoholic I'm sure. He drinks 9 different alcoholic beverages each night (hard liquor). Of that 9 drinks he drinks two beers.

I consider him a functioning alcoholic. One would never know that he is a drinker. He functions just fine. The only thing I've learned is that I cannot discuss any serious issues with him at night.

My question is this: I've been told that when one drinks that much at his age (61) and has drank that much all of his adult life, he will probably be dead by age 70 because his liver will be pickled. He has high blood pressure and high cholestral, and doesn't take medication for that.

Your thoughts????

You should go to an Ala-non meeting, They can help you there.
We are all dead, safe, and in heaven-
Jimbo_D
Forums Enthusiast

Return to Our Friends and Families