annoyed feeling helpless

If you're not an alcoholic but have questions about AA, here's the place to ask them. Anyone may post messages and replies in this forum.

annoyed feeling helpless

Postby fedup04 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:31 pm

I am 27 I have delt with this all of my life , I have been ashamed of going to alanon/alateen meetings. I am a social worker..... yet don't know how to confront what I'm feeling..... or work cases similar to my backround. .....my mother and father are alcoholics .... and drug addicts...... I have trust issues with everyone........ I know why..... it's easy to diagnose myself and speak with someone ...... another thing to get over what I've been through .....I've watched my father brutality beat my mother ....... I've been the victim of my mother's brutal beatings ..... I've watched her prostitute herself out........ I've been separated from my sisters and brother through the system yet can't find a thing to say to my mother when she still calls me after I've done better gone through school to help those like myself and have a job not great but okay and she's drunk or whatever and in and out of hospitals police what have you dying now after age and can't find words..... I'm broken my relationship is suffering I'm a social worker with a bias now .... yet can't understand what my mom's going through she will always be my momma no matter how much I hate her for what she put me through I will always stand by her why? Well the F*** ed up psychological part is I know why but how do I deal with it ....... I can see it notice it's there with kids but why why and I still dealing g with this why do I care? I love my mom how can she stop am I alone in this?
fedup04
Forums Newcomer

Re: annoyed feeling helpless

Postby Layne » Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:14 pm

Working the twelve steps of AA saved my bacon. My wife says the same thing about herself and the twelve steps of Al-Anon. If you haven't given working a twelve step program a shot, you might find relief in doing so. There is no shame in seeking help. If we don't seek help, that is a shame.
Layne
Forums Old Timer

Postby avaneesh912 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:36 am

The truth about this whole process is be it folks in AA or alanon or alteen, they need to have a desire to get well. Thats why you have so many spewing negativity around everywhere you go. Forget your mom, focus on your well-being, world will change for you.
Last edited by avaneesh912 on Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby Duke » Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:50 am

There's lots of whys about my own psychological makeup that I doubt I'll ever answer. I understand your frustration.

All I can tell you is I found answers to the harmful behaviors those thoughts used to cause through working the twelve step program of AA. I also found a level of peace with and acceptance of my own damaged psyche.

I don't know if alanon is the answer for you, but I'd sure give it a try. I wish you the best.
"If you are humble nothing will touch you, neither praise nor disgrace, because you know what you are.", Mother Teresa
Duke
Forums Old Timer

Return to Our Friends and Families