New here. looking for some help

If you're not an alcoholic but have questions about AA, here's the place to ask them. Anyone may post messages and replies in this forum.

Re: New here. looking for some help

Postby avaneesh912 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:31 am

Sharonneeds help wrote:
Can someone tell me how often a sponsor should be talking to you. I got one yesterday morning & she never got back with me....

Give her sometime. Probably the person who is assigned is busy with their schedule. If you don't hear from her in few days, request for another sponsor. You can always listen to those workshops freely available on the internet. That kept me going in my early days of recovery. Good luck.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby Lali » Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:13 am

Sharon, I would give her the benefit of the doubt and call her again. She may not have gotten the message or she might have had some kind of emergency. But if this should happen on a regular basis, I would look for another sponsor. Alcoholism is a life and death disease and needs to be taken seriously, so a sponsor should be available to their sponsee.

On the flip side, what I have mostly seen is that the sponsee is to place the calls. A good sponsor is helping you, so they generally want to know that you are serious about the program and each sponsor will generally tell you up front how often they would like for you to call.
Step 1: I can't
Step 2: He can
Step 3: I think I'll let him
Lali
Forums Old Timer

Postby Sharonneeds help » Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:43 am

Thank you all for the help I she did get back with me but I keep that in the back of my mine to call.
Sharonneeds help
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Sharonneeds help » Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:54 am

i don't remember how to get a new sponsor mine is to busy in life & I don't remember how're get one its 6 days in the makings for no drinking & I can't seem to get one that will talk to me.
Sharonneeds help
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Tosh » Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:02 am

Sharonneeds help wrote:i don't remember how to get a new sponsor mine is to busy in life & I don't remember how're get one its 6 days in the makings for no drinking & I can't seem to get one that will talk to me.

Keep getting to meetings, Sharon and asking for a sponsor. Someone once told me that if I put in half the effort I used to put into my drinking (you know, getting the money, going to buy the stuff, dealing with the consequences and the worry, getting rid of the empties, etc), then I'd recover.

We're not perfect in A.A., but you will find a sponsor if you keep hitting those meetings and reaching out.
Come, come, whoever you are. Wanderer, worshiper, lover of leaving. It doesn't matter. Ours is not a caravan of despair. Come, even if you have broken your vows a thousand times. Come, yet again, come, come.” Rumi (No sniggering from the sex addicts)
Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Postby whipping post » Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:08 am

Congrats on six days. I got a temporary sponsor early by talking to the meeting chair after a meeting. Go to meetings and get lot's of phone numbers so you will have connections other than a sponsor.
whipping post
Forums Contributor

Postby Sharonneeds help » Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:10 am

Where do I go for meetings? I'm still trying to adjust to all this.
Sharonneeds help
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Niagara » Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:15 am

AA.org should have the information needed for meetings in your area Sharon

Good to see you still going strong :)
If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month -
Theodore Roosevelt
Niagara
Forums Old Timer

Postby Sharonneeds help » Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:33 am

Thank you very much.
Sharonneeds help
Forums Enthusiast

Postby avaneesh912 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:06 am

Sharon,
Look for noon meetings. You had mentioned that you can't see clear in the evenings. There are meetings almost top of each hour where I live. Some places are not that equipped. But you should find one that is suitable for you. Plug in the zip code/postal code and click search. It will take you to the local area AA web-site.

Also you can always request for another temp sponsor via e-aa.org at:

http://www.e-aa.org/form_sponsors.php

Mention that you are looking for a sponsor who can take me through the steps quickly.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby Pat82 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:49 am

Some groups give newcomers a list of people to call when they need to talk. If the chair person doesn't offer you one of those ask if they have one. In making calls from that list you may find someone you click with or lives on a similar schedule to yours (ie: is retired, etc) and would like ask about sponsoring. I'm glad to see you hangin in there Sharon. Keep coming back.
Pat82
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Lali » Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:29 pm

I usually tell people to google "Alcoholics Anonymous, your city, your state". Also, most, if not all, cities, have a listing for Alcoholics Anonymous in the local phone book. This is probably best as you can talk to a live person. Get the locations for a few meetings. Once you get to a meeting, there should be a printed meetings list. Also get some phone numbers from women at the meeting so that you will have someone to call you when you have urges. They won't mind - that is why they give out their numbers. Also let them know you are looking for a sponsor. Plus, we are here for you.
Step 1: I can't
Step 2: He can
Step 3: I think I'll let him
Lali
Forums Old Timer

Postby Sharonneeds help » Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:10 am

My first full week of not drinking begins today, I hope it goes better than last night I didn't drink but I went through hell so I drank a Pepsi. I tried to fine an AA meeting around here for during the day I had no luck. I give up on my sponsor, I did request anyone still haven't heard from them yet I'm pationitly waiting, I'm needing one really bad before I do screw up. I'm going to look here again soon like this morning when I get off here hopefully I have some luck. I thought this was a good program to be in but I'm not having much luck with the sponsors I just hope it changes soon. Thank You for listening to me.
Sharonneeds help
Forums Enthusiast

Postby avaneesh912 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:17 am

I thought this was a good program to be in but I'm not having much luck with the sponsors I just hope it changes soon. Thank You for listening to me.

Sharon,
While waiting for the suitable sponsor to show up, you can always listen to some of the best workshops in the internet. Even today, I go back to those workshops, they are much better than any of the sponsors I got. Go to Xa-Speakers (Dot) org. You should find workshops like Joe and Charlie and others.

You are right, this is a great program but the sponsor is just a small part of the puzzle. The key is you work the steps. You can do so using the workshops and the big book. The sponsor comes into play for the 5th step.

Good Luck.
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby Tosh » Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:06 am

avaneesh912 wrote:Sharon,
While waiting for the suitable sponsor to show up, you can always listen to some of the best workshops in the internet. Even today, I go back to those workshops, they are much better than any of the sponsors I got. Go to Xa-Speakers (Dot) org. You should find workshops like Joe and Charlie and others.

When I was gagging for a drink I'd do something called 'delaying the drink'. I'd tell myself I could drink, but first I'd have to listen to a speakertape.

Many struck some chords with me, I could see myself in their stories (particularly the drinking parts) and I loved the sound of the recovery parts too; they gave me hope.

Funnily enough by the time the speakertape has finished, that over-riding obsession to drink had past too.

Obviously, I'm not saying listening to speakertapes were a solution, but they certainly helped keep me sober for long enough till I found one.
Come, come, whoever you are. Wanderer, worshiper, lover of leaving. It doesn't matter. Ours is not a caravan of despair. Come, even if you have broken your vows a thousand times. Come, yet again, come, come.” Rumi (No sniggering from the sex addicts)
Tosh
Forums Old Timer

PreviousNext

Return to Our Friends and Families