New here. looking for some help

If you're not an alcoholic but have questions about AA, here's the place to ask them. Anyone may post messages and replies in this forum.

Re: New here. looking for some help

Postby ann2 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:52 am

Congratulations Sharon! Thanks for visiting and giving an update! There are definitely people here who care about you.

Keep coming back and posting whatever is on your mind. Most likely one of us has gone through it and found help that can be shared :D

Ann
"If I don't take twenty walks, Billy Beane send me to Mexico" -- Miguel Tejada
ann2
Forums Old Timer

Postby Jaywalker Steve » Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:00 am

Hi Sharon,

Three days is a big deal for people like us. There a lot of good people willing to help you here and at meetings in your neighborhood. One day at a time is how we do this, so keep it up!

God bless,
Steve
Every group has men and women who put too much thought and effort into their daily sobriety and not enough of themselves into their daily living. - Ed B., Akron, OH
Jaywalker Steve
Forums Long Timer

Postby Pat82 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:14 am

Its so good to hear you're making progress Sharon! Thank you for keeping us posted as you are in my thoughts. Have you been able to start reading the Big Book yet? I found it really helped me. Are there any Serenity Shops in your area? How about meeting places? Would you be comfortable going out to a meeting? I depended heavily on those especially during my first 30 days sometimes going to more than one a day. I also found that one special person in my life who shared their experience, strength and hope with me there. That was so important in my sobriety because, like you said, it helps to have someone to talk to. Keep coming back and sharing.
Pat82
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Sharonneeds help » Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:34 am

This is my 4th day of not drinking I'm doing better than what I thought I would. 1 day at a time is all I can say... I will continue to do this I realize I don't need alcohol to rule my life. I have my new sponsor Kriisten which will will start when she gets back with, I'm excited to start with her. Thanks for listening. Sharon
Sharonneeds help
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Niagara » Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:28 am

Good to see you again Sharon - and well done on getting a sponsor.

1 day at a time is all any of us can say - you've realized that much faster than I did ;) At four days I was still thinking, 'I can barely get through this hour, how can I possibly manage the rest of my life'

That 'just for 24 hours' works in mysterious ways. Even if I'm having a really naff day, it's just for 24 hours.....the next day is the next day - and it might be great. What matters, is what we do today :)

I have only 5 months worth of 24 hours, but from what I've heard in meetings there are people with 30+ years of 24 hours.
If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month -
Theodore Roosevelt
Niagara
Forums Old Timer

Postby Pat82 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:29 pm

Thanks for the update Sharon. Congratulations on finding Kristen. I hope you will continue sharing your experience, strength and hope. :-)
Pat82
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Sharonneeds help » Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:20 am

This is my 5 th day of sobriety, my eyes are ereing up & finally seeing what goes on around me I'm not sure if that's good or bad. I'm going to continue with it I have never felt so good to be free from drinking & some of my phobias are disappearing I love that. For many years I have had phobias & now they are leaving me. Soi have even been thinking about leaving the house to fine an AA meeting some where around here. Thank you everyone for getting me through this especially Ann.
Sharonneeds help
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Tosh » Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:25 am

Hey, well done on the 5 days and the positive attitude, Sharon. I love the sound of gratitude in your post too. Grateful alkies don't drink. Please do go to a meeting, and if you're feeling brave enough, share some positivity into the room; someone there might need to hear what you're experiencing.

Respect,

Tosh
Come, come, whoever you are. Wanderer, worshiper, lover of leaving. It doesn't matter. Ours is not a caravan of despair. Come, even if you have broken your vows a thousand times. Come, yet again, come, come.” Rumi (No sniggering from the sex addicts)
Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Postby Niagara » Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:53 am

That's great to hear Sharon :)

I'm not sure how it works where you are, but around here if you call the AA helpline, a fellow AAer will accompany you to a meeting, if you feel you need a little support. That may make it a little less scary for you - or not - but I thought I'd throw it out there in case you can use it.

You're doing great, keep at it :)
If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month -
Theodore Roosevelt
Niagara
Forums Old Timer

Postby Sharonneeds help » Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:57 am

Niagara wrote:That's great to hear Sharon :)

I'm not sure how it works where you are, but around here if you call the AA helpline, a fellow AAer will accompany you to a meeting, if you feel you need a little support. That may make it a little less scary for you - or not - but I thought I'd throw it out there in case you can use it.

You're doing great, keep at it :)

Thank you when I'm ready I will call them.
Sharonneeds help
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Sharonneeds help » Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:59 am

Can someone tell me how often a sponsor should be talking to you. I got one yesterday morning & she never got back with me....
Sharonneeds help
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Niagara » Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:06 am

I think it varies from sponsor to sponsor - my first sponsor expected me to check in with her, every day. My current sponsor is much more relaxed about that, and we talk as often as needed really.
I usually do the calling though.
Having to do the calling myself has helped me enormously, because I really didn't like having to ask for help. I isolated myself over anything that bothered me. Working against myself is good for me ;)

One thing I will say though, with either sponsor, if I called and they weren't available, they always got/get back to me as soon as they can.
Theodore Roosevelt
Niagara
Forums Old Timer

Postby Tosh » Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:10 am

Sharonneeds help wrote:Can someone tell me how often a sponsor should be talking to you. I got one yesterday morning & she never got back with me....

Have you her number? Why not give her a call or drop her a text?
Come, come, whoever you are. Wanderer, worshiper, lover of leaving. It doesn't matter. Ours is not a caravan of despair. Come, even if you have broken your vows a thousand times. Come, yet again, come, come.” Rumi (No sniggering from the sex addicts)
Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Postby whipping post » Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:17 am

Agreed. Call her if you have her number. Have you already talked to her before or will this be the first time? For some reason when it comes to calling someone else for help the old phone seems to weigh 100 pounds. :D

Enjoy your journey!
whipping post
Forums Contributor

Postby Stepchild » Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:30 am

Sharonneeds help wrote:Can someone tell me how often a sponsor should be talking to you. I got one yesterday morning & she never got back with me....

My sponsor wanted me to call everyday...Not text...He wanted to hear my voice...See how I was doing. If he didn't answer I was to leave a message. He said we would do that for 90 days and that's what I did. By 90 days I had worked the steps...I was living in steps 10,11 qnd 12 and he told me I didn't have to call anymore. So now we go to lunch now and then...And I call him now and then...He's a friend now. One thing I learned about a good sponsor is....They are giving us their time....their wisdom...Their patience.....And their love......And all they want in return is to see us get better. I found it a good idea to take any suggestions my sponsor had to heart....It paid off. Ask het that question.
Stepchild
Forums Old Timer

PreviousNext

Return to Our Friends and Families