New here. looking for some help

If you're not an alcoholic but have questions about AA, here's the place to ask them. Anyone may post messages and replies in this forum.

New here. looking for some help

Postby amont » Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:34 am

Hi everyone, am glad I found this forum this will help me about my problem.

I have brother who has a binge drinking he started drinking when he was 25 until now he is already 30 years and his drinking becomes worst he can drink a 10 bottles of beer in one night I'm so worried from can anyone give me advice for my brother to break free from his addiction
amont
Forums Enthusiast

Re: New here. looking for some help

Postby Stepchild » Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:25 am

Welcome to the site amont...God bless you for looking after your brother. I'm an alcoholic amont...And as far as is there help available for drinkers like myself?...The answer is yes. Did I accept that help when I should have?....No. Nothing wrong with the way I drank.

I guess the big question involving your brother is....Does he want help? Does he even think he has a drinking problem? I denied that for a long time...And nobody....I mean nobody...Could tell me different. If he's had enough...And he wants a solution to his problem....I can tell you that AA's 12 steps work for that. But if he's not ready....My advice...Sad as it may sound...Let him go till he is ready. I'm glad you found the site....Do some reading....You can learn about your brothers problem...If he has a problem.
Stepchild
Forums Old Timer

Postby PaigeB » Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:41 am

Welcome amont. Glad you found us here at e-aa. Though we are a site for the alcoholic who has a desire to quit drinking, we also have a Forum for the Family.
viewforum.php?f=21
Also there is an entire program that came up the same time as Alcoholics Anonymous called Alanon. They have a website at http://www.al-anon.alateen.org/
I think you might find some help for yourself with them. Like Alcoholics Anonymous, they have been able to help millions of family members of alcoholics find comfort and support even if the alcoholic drinks or gets sober.

Give them a look at. Let us know if we can be of further assistance.
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby amont » Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:10 pm

Stepchild wrote:Welcome to the site amont...God bless you for looking after your brother. I'm an alcoholic amont...And as far as is there help available for drinkers like myself?...The answer is yes. Did I accept that help when I should have?....No. Nothing wrong with the way I drank.

I guess the big question involving your brother is....Does he want help? Does he even think he has a drinking problem? I denied that for a long time...And nobody....I mean nobody...Could tell me different. If he's had enough...And he wants a solution to his problem....I can tell you that AA's 12 steps work for that. But if he's not ready....My advice...Sad as it may sound...Let him go till he is ready. I'm glad you found the site....Do some reading....You can learn about your brothers problem...If he has a problem.

Thank you for some tips... He's always denying his drinking problem his my my little brother and I want to help him. Thank you for the advice I hope this will be helpful
amont
Forums Enthusiast

Postby amont » Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:12 pm

PaigeB wrote:Welcome amont. Glad you found us here at e-aa. Though we are a site for the alcoholic who has a desire to quit drinking, we also have a Forum for the Family.
viewforum.php?f=21
Also there is an entire program that came up the same time as Alcoholics Anonymous called Alanon. They have a website at http://www.al-anon.alateen.org/
I think you might find some help for yourself with them. Like Alcoholics Anonymous, they have been able to help millions of family members of alcoholics find comfort and support even if the alcoholic drinks or gets sober.

I will try it. Thank you very much for the concerns
amont
Forums Enthusiast

Postby amont » Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:12 pm

PaigeB wrote:Welcome amont. Glad you found us here at e-aa. Though we are a site for the alcoholic who has a desire to quit drinking, we also have a Forum for the Family.
viewforum.php?f=21

I will try it. Thank you very much for the concerns
amont
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Stepchild » Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:16 pm

Say some prayers for you brother amont...I know it was prayers from others that got me into AA....I certainly didn't do any for myself. Maybe you can get him a copy of the Big Book...You never know...He may be curious about his problem....And not even know there is a solution for it. I'll say a few prayers myself.....You're a good brother amont....He's lucky to have you.
Stepchild
Forums Old Timer

Postby amont » Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:23 pm

Stepchild wrote:Say some prayers for you brother amont...I know it was prayers from others that got me into AA....I certainly didn't do any for myself. Maybe you can get him a copy of the Big Book...You never know...He may be curious about his problem....And not even know there is a solution for it. I'll say a few prayers myself.....You're a good brother amont....He's lucky to have you.

I will do everything for my brother, I don't want to get ruined his life because of addiction, thanks stepchild for listening and giving advice, you're right I have to pray for my brother
amont
Forums Enthusiast

Postby amont » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:56 am

Hi guys! At least I have already convinced him to go to rehabilitation! By the way, thank you for the support!
amont
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Stepchild » Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:00 am

That's fantastic amont...Keep up with the prayers....Sounds like they are working!!
Stepchild
Forums Old Timer

Postby amont » Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:15 pm

Yeah, all the help and supports that you gave to me is working now. I will guide him until he get sober. Thanks guys!
amont
Forums Enthusiast

Postby ann2 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:47 am

Hi amont,

I don't recommend anyone taking on an alcoholic in the manner you seem to describe. If you find help for your alcoholism in Al-Anon, that will help him too. Yes, you can be affected by alcoholism even if you're not drinking. That's one of the reasons that we have closed AA meetings -- it's too easy for loved ones to start going to AA meetings and "take over" the whole recovery process by micromanaging the alcoholic's sobriety.

Best thing for your loved one is to back away and get your own help.j

Ann
"If I don't take twenty walks, Billy Beane send me to Mexico" -- Miguel Tejada
ann2
Forums Old Timer

Postby amont » Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:41 pm

I understand you ann2, but I can't let my brother alone
amont
Forums Enthusiast

Postby whipping post » Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:14 am

amont wrote:I understand you ann2, but I can't let my brother alone

Sometimes the best thing is to leave someone alone. To tell them you love them so much you can't support their self destruction. It was mentioned above that the alcoholic has to want to get sober. And as much as AA is a "we" program where people get support an individual's sobriety has to stand on it's own. If you lead and guide him and his sobriety depends on you what happens if you are no longer in the picture? If my sobriety depends too much on my sponsor what happens if he relapses? A couple of people have suggested AlAnon. That would ie an excellent suggestion.
whipping post
Forums Contributor

Postby ann2 » Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:15 am

Have you considered that your not letting him alone is actually doing more harm than good? There's a phenomenon called "enabling" which you can learn more about in Al-Anon.

Alcoholism is a familiy illness, and affects everyone, not just those who are drinking.

Ann
"If I don't take twenty walks, Billy Beane send me to Mexico" -- Miguel Tejada
ann2
Forums Old Timer

Next

Return to Our Friends and Families