Need to find Cleveland-based AA pastor or lay minister

If you're not an alcoholic but have questions about AA, here's the place to ask them. Anyone may post messages and replies in this forum.
tarantino
Forums Newcomer

Need to find Cleveland-based AA pastor or lay minister

Post by tarantino » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:38 am

My stepfather was in the program for 23 years, and passed away a few months ago of natural causes. I need to find a lay minister or pastor to do his service in Cleveland, Ohio, and would love to use someone who's either in the program or familiar with the program. The AA program helped my stepfather a lot, and he was always grateful to it. He was spiritual in the way many AA folks are, with belief in a higher power.

Anyway, I called the Cleveland district office but they don't do referrals of this sort. If anyone know anyone in the program in the Cleveland/Akron area, and could ask them to refer me to a minister of this type, I would greatly appreciate it. I will of course pay for the minister's time whatever the standard rate is for a funeral service.

Or, if you have any other ideas on how I could find someone, please let me know.

I can be contacted at (Link removed per forum Policy). Thanks.

PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Re: Need to find Cleveland-based AA pastor or lay minister

Post by PaigeB » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:01 pm

Hi tarantino. I am sorry to hear of your loss. As a Forum Moderator, it is my duty to make sure that our "no links" policy is adhered to. This seems to add to your frustrations at our "no referrals" tradition as well. I apologize for how this may seem, but our adherence to the "primary purpose" of AA keeps us all alive.

Even tho I had to remove your link, I think I may be of some help in locating people in AA who knew your stepfather and therefore might know who could help with his service.

Do you know what meetings he frequented? In my area we encourage attendance at a "Home Group"... in my case, these people know me very well and would be happy to help in any way. Perhaps you could drop by before or after that meeting to introduce yourself and you need? Even though a minister or lay pastor may not be available (I don't know any in my area) there are many "orators" among us.

You are also welcome to attend an Open meeting of AA, or an Alanon meeting. The people that you meet might be able to steer you.

Perhaps the AA Club in your area has a bulletin board. The folks who knew your step dad will likely want to know of and attend a service for him.

Perhaps you will find some phone numbers among his possessions and maybe even locate his sponsor or home group that way.

Again, I apologize for removing the link to contact you. E-aa has a private mail capability and perhaps other forum members will be able to contact you that way.

Take care.
Step 6 is "AA's way of stating, the best possible attitude one can take in order to make a beginning on this lifetime job... with most of them we shall have to be content with patient improvement." 12&12 Step Six, p.65

tarantino
Forums Newcomer

Post by tarantino » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:09 pm

Hello moderator--I am so sorry that I went against the forum policy, and I totally understand removing my link. Apologies! All makes sense. I now realize that I can get e-mail replies when people post here, so that's good and I will just watch this space.

Those are good ideas--and I did visit his home group (in LA), but the funeral service is in a different city so he didn't really know people in Cleveland and if he attended a meeting it was probably not often enough to make bonds. I have no way of visiting before the funeral. Unfortunately the Cleveland AA has no bulletin board. :)

I'll probably go the other route of talking to pastors and just seeing if they are comfortable talking about the program.

Thanks!

PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Post by PaigeB » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:08 pm

http://www.aa.org/bbonline/

Here is a link to our basic text. You may find a reading you would like to do within our first 164 pages. The remainder of the book contains stories of alcoholics, all of which you might glean some insights.

I wish for you the peace and love I have found in this program.
Step 6 is "AA's way of stating, the best possible attitude one can take in order to make a beginning on this lifetime job... with most of them we shall have to be content with patient improvement." 12&12 Step Six, p.65

tarantino
Forums Newcomer

Post by tarantino » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:12 am

Thank you Paige! A reading would be great, I will take a look.