Meeting Formats

Is the concept of a Home Group dying? What is a Home Group anyway? Talk about it here.

Meeting Formats

Postby Tosh » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:00 pm

Hi all,

I'm after some meeting formats to take back to my homegroup. Ours is in dire need of a re-vamp. Has anyone got one I could look at?

Thanks

Tosh
Come, come, whoever you are. Wanderer, worshiper, lover of leaving. It doesn't matter. Ours is not a caravan of despair. Come, even if you have broken your vows a thousand times. Come, yet again, come, come.” Rumi (No sniggering from the sex addicts)
Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Re: Meeting Formats

Postby PaigeB » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:12 pm

One format that I like a lot has the usual prelim (preamble, Step & traditions read & announcements) then, rather than a reading from conference approved literature, they have a 15 minute speaker on a topic chosen either by the speaker or the chair of the month. Then they call numbers (tickets or chips with #'s 1-100 passed out at the door/greeting) to have people share on the topic. Also, the meeting lasts 1 hour 15 minutes - with the last 15 minutes open for "burning desire to speak" instead of calling numbers. During the open speaking the basket is passed for the 7th tradition and putting the chips in to return for use again.

Also meetings around here have a once a month, readings & shares on a tradition or step or grapevine article.
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby Sally » Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:25 pm

Where i live- almost all meetings follow same format-
secty opens mtg, announcements, anniversaries, readings-
someone gives a *lead*- not their story- a topic lead-
10 minutes tops- if there are more than say 10 people-
we break up in 2 groups- and everyone around the table
talks to the topic. i never heard of calling on people
til i came online in 97.
it sure works- everyone gets a chance to talk at every meeting.
Sally
Sally
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Todd M » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:51 pm

we Do:
1. Hi, I am Todd, Welcome the Our GrpName at "Time"...
2. Let begin with a moment of silence followed by the serenity prayer for those who wish
3. read, OPEN or CLOSED mtg statement
4. ask it there are any vistors from outside District who would like to introduce themselfs
5. ask if there is anyone here for thier very first meeting ever, if so, First name only please, to get to know you
6. celibrate milestones, 1, 2, 3, 6, 9, mths of Sobriety
7. anyone celibrating annual bday in the month of "month"
8. anyone want a 24 hour desire coin
9.AA ANOUNCEMENTS... non-AA stuff goes out on the buliten board near the front door.
10. PREAMBLE
IF newcomer... we read first two pages of "more about alcoholism"... and it becomes a Step-1 meeting

IF no newcomer... we read How it Works... then traditions...
11. If Topic meeting... we ask for a topic... and pick one if there are no offers.
IF B-Book, or 12 and 12 Study

AT the END...
1. we remind alll, with the 12th Tradition, "What is Heard here, and Who is Seen here, stays here"
2. Ask those who are willing to Sponsor please reaise thier hand.
3. Choose either the "Lords prayer" or the "serenity prayer" holding hands

or something like that... Sort of Loose around that basic Format
There is Hope, Todd M
Keep it Simple

The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link:
http://www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
Todd M
Forums Long Timer

Postby ann2 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:05 am

My f2f group has a really good one, very thorough and easy to follow. I'll see if I can get my hands on it for you.

I developed one for the Nooners group in Tallinn but it was not a big hit :-)

hugs, Ann
"If I don't take twenty walks, Billy Beane send me to Mexico" -- Miguel Tejada
ann2
Forums Old Timer

Postby Jaywalker Steve » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:55 am

How about a Big Book and 12 and 12 topic discussion?. Chairperson brings a topic from one of the two books and the discussion focuses on what was read and shared.
Every group has men and women who put too much thought and effort into their daily sobriety and not enough of themselves into their daily living. - Ed B., Akron, OH
Jaywalker Steve
Forums Long Timer

Postby Tosh » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:37 am

There's some good stuff, thanks. I want to add something about our literature that we have for sale; rarely does anyone buy any - and I have it right by the door - you can't miss it when you come in - leaflets on a rack 'n' everything. Hopefully it'll encourage members to buy some.

Also, I'd like to add something about the guys/gals who do service; ask if there's any problems. There usually isn't, but it's a gentle reminder that they do service. The literature guy is normally late, for example (and he lives 200 meters away from this meeting), and it's usually me who sets it up. So somewhere along the way I'd like to ask each in turn if there's any announcements or problems regarding their service. Do you think this is a good idea?
Come, come, whoever you are. Wanderer, worshiper, lover of leaving. It doesn't matter. Ours is not a caravan of despair. Come, even if you have broken your vows a thousand times. Come, yet again, come, come.” Rumi (No sniggering from the sex addicts)
Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Postby Tommy-S » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:07 pm

Delete
Last edited by Tommy-S on Sun May 06, 2012 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Together, we don't have to cave in or wimp out to that Fatal First One, no matter what today!
Tommy-S
Forums Old Timer

Postby ann2 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:49 pm

Tosh wrote:I want to add something about our literature that we have for sale

That's what we have in our format: "there is AA literature for sale, see _________ or just look in the box and put the money in the hat"
Tosh wrote: So somewhere along the way I'd like to ask each in turn if there's any announcements

yes, we have a note about any greetings or announcements to the group. Problems are for the business meetings :-)

Ann
"If I don't take twenty walks, Billy Beane send me to Mexico" -- Miguel Tejada
ann2
Forums Old Timer

Postby sober_life » Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:01 am

1: Secretary picks a Chairperson
2: Chairperson picks 1 member to read Chapter 5 and another Member to read Traditions.
2a: On the last meeting day of the month, the Traditions are read out in the long form
2b: After the meeting on the last meeting day of the month we have group conscience.
2c: On the first meeting day of the month we do a group dinner and a chosen restaurant before the start of the meeting.
2d: If there is a sobriety birthday, the birthday person may choose to go to a favorite place to eat, but that's optional.
3: Every 12 months we a do a group inventory and "changing of the guards", new secretary, treasurer, etc etc all voted.
4: every so often we do a car pooling and our entire group visits another group on their meeting day/night.
5: Fund raising and raffle BBQ, all proceeds towards 60-30-10.
6: We serve you coffee/tea at the kitchen window/partition thingy.

There is so much more and I need this structure, it's a strong busy group.
sober_life
Forums Enthusiast

Postby tyg » Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:25 pm

I like this one meeting's format I go to.

It's a stick meeting where everyone is given a stick. Topics written on the sticks are taken out of the AA approved literature.
They start meeting with a quick countdown (raising hands) of members from 0-9 years, then those with 10 + years stand, introduce themselves, and give their time.
They end the meeting with the "Responsibility Pledge"
~The secret to the AA program is the first three words on page 112~
tyg
Forums Long Timer

Postby PaigeB » Sun Jun 21, 2015 12:39 am

Oh I like that tyg! Thanks for sharing!
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby desypete » Sun Jun 21, 2015 3:24 am

in our area most meetings take the same format

group leader has the aa preamble read out, along with the traditions there is a few moments silence to remember why we are here and the still suffering alcoholic. any aa group members apologies,

the leader invites someone to come along and share there experience strength and hope, there story cut down to 20 mins, telling it how it really is from what the drink did to them, where they ended up and how they are now, there free to share about anything they wish to so long as it relates to alcoholism, they can have a section of the big book read out if they wish before they go into there main share

after 20 mins or so the meeting is thrown open for anyone to share back, its a free for all so if anyone is in desperate need to share they can with ease the meetings last for 1 hour 30

they close with any aa business news and the serenity prayer

its a simple format that most groups adopt. we have just 2 book study meetings and 2 step meetings in our area i go to the step meeting on a Friday which is a good meeting as it also changes its format if i new comer comes into the room and reverts back to sharing for the new comer, but if its just filled with people who are used to aa then its a step meeting in which the guest speaker gives there share the same as the other meetings only they touch on the step of the week we are dealing with

what we found in our area is that when groups changed to try formats they might think are popular infact only drew on people who would be of there mindset in recovery hence with the simple format most groups have it is open for anyone in aa they dont have to be a book thumper or a stepper or anything else they can come along and share about what it is there into same as other can share such a different way to them

its the format i am used to and i would endorse for anyone in aa as it really does cut down on the segregation that does happen

oh and people can swear to if they wish, its not encouraged by any means and most people dont swear in meetings but there are times in life if someone is trying to get stuff out there and share it that they might well end up saying a rude word

so for me its the tolerance we have to try to work into our daily lives is what i am used to in aa amd the simple format supports that

the downside is i dont seem very good at tolerating those in aa who try to implement there own rules in meetings
desypete
Forums Contributor

Return to The Home Group