What makes your Home Group special to you?

Is the concept of a Home Group dying? What is a Home Group anyway? Talk about it here.

Re: What makes your Home Group special to you?

Postby apE » Sun May 12, 2013 7:04 am

My homegroup was the first group I ever willingly went to (my other AA experiences had been court-ordered). They immediately welcomed me and made me feel right at home. As soon as the second time I went back, all the women and some of the men stood up to give me hugs. We always have thought-provoking and humorous conversations. When I first started and didn't have any literature, the chair of my homegroup gave me a copy of the Big Book and offered to take me to meetings. Everyone has been generous with sharing their phone number. Overall, these people have been the most helpful to me during my search for sobriety.
Newcomer (<30 days) searching to make friends that are recovery-oriented and who can teach me more about serenity and taking life one day at a time. Send me a message! :-)
apE
Forums Enthusiast

Postby betterthanyesterday » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:37 am

Jan,
Thank you for posting this and making some very good points. It took me awhile to find a home group I felt comfortable and "at home". I like my home group because it focuses on the beginners/newcomers. I felt welcomed and what was a very stressful and difficult time in my earlier sobriety days, that was made easier by attending this meeting place which always has its arms reached wide open to everyone and didn't seem as intimidating as some of the other meetings I went to.
betterthanyesterday
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Zara » Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:07 pm

My group is just the right size (20-30 people), it is co-ed (I have seen some women's groups get "catty", so I tend to avoid them) it has a WIDE variation in ages from early 20's to 80's, it has a wide variation in sobriety (from days to decades), there are several other veterans there besides me and...best of all, my sponsor is there. :-)
Zara
Forums Enthusiast

Postby bqbd63 » Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:36 pm

I have a homegroup that I drifted in and out of for years as my disease progressed. While a lot of the faces changed, there was a core group that was always there. I know, I am describing most, if not all groups, but I wanted what they had. So I got a sponsor after being spin dried, and started paying attention. Still wasn't ready to surrender though and one day, after a meeting, the insanity returned and I turned right instead of going left, right into a liquor store. How did this happen? I had been locked into a vicious cycle of drinking my check up, then suffering withdrawals and DT's over and over, its not like I didn't know what was going to happen. I decided I needed treatment again and wound up halfway across the country. This time, I realized that I had to do the heavy lifting, that no class or councilors could fix me, that no human power could relieve my insanity, but that God could and would if he were sought. I gave up, surrendered unconditionally.
Back to the home group. It was a great comfort to me to know that I had a sponsor and a place to go with people happy with their sobriety. The promises are coming true for me now with 6 months sober- and, oh yeah, I haven't had the desire to drink.
bqbd63
Forums Newcomer

Postby ezdzit247 » Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:03 am

bqbd63 wrote:I have a homegroup that I drifted in and out of for years as my disease progressed. While a lot of the faces changed, there was a core group that was always there. I know, I am describing most, if not all groups, but I wanted what they had. So I got a sponsor after being spin dried, and started paying attention. Still wasn't ready to surrender though and one day, after a meeting, the insanity returned and I turned right instead of going left, right into a liquor store. How did this happen? I had been locked into a vicious cycle of drinking my check up, then suffering withdrawals and DT's over and over, its not like I didn't know what was going to happen. I decided I needed treatment again and wound up halfway across the country. This time, I realized that I had to do the heavy lifting, that no class or councilors could fix me, that no human power could relieve my insanity, but that God could and would if he were sought. I gave up, surrendered unconditionally.
Back to the home group. It was a great comfort to me to know that I had a sponsor and a place to go with people happy with their sobriety. The promises are coming true for me now with 6 months sober- and, oh yeah, I haven't had the desire to drink.

Wonderful share, bqbd63!

I'm an AA retread--chronic relapser--and it took me almost two years of going in and out of AA meetings to finally "get it". When I finally did "get it", I was able to surrender my will and my life to a power greater than myself and, like you have shared, the desire to drink was removed. I don't think anyone except another sober alcoholic can really understand how the before and after of that moment actually feels. It truly is a miracle.

Congrats on your 6 months of sobriety and keep coming back....
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.” -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
ezdzit247
Forums Old Timer

Postby Deadpool » Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:47 am

my home group is the 12pm midnite, safe harbor, unstructured meeting! lol
we have so much fun in there, mostly young ppl
we turn the lights out n we joke alot! alot!
I suppose some would be shocked at our seeming worldliness and levity. :lol:
i dont always stay up that late, but wen i do!
and theres a 24hour dinner rite down the street,
almos everynite a crowd of us go there 2 eat, i dont make it home till 3am lol!
sum weekends we hangout after the meeting playing cards
love my home group!
"Remember, once you're a pickle, you can never be a cucumber again."
Deadpool
Forums Enthusiast

Postby ann2 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:23 am

Real real cool. That surely brings me back. Thanks for sharing :)
"If I don't take twenty walks, Billy Beane send me to Mexico" -- Miguel Tejada
ann2
Forums Old Timer

Postby zteknik » Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:15 am

Hello Family
Bob alcoholic,
I moved from one state to another and knew I needed to find a home group. I tried different meetings at different groups but found I kept going to one group more than the rest (mostly because of location) But then one day a board member ( who became my sponsor) asked me if I could chair some meetings. Now at that time I did not have a job and knew that I needed to stick close to the program so I gladly obliged. I have been doing it now for a little over 3 years.
Sure I go to other meetings, but at my group I have a connection with the people there. My little family within the great family of AA.
I feel like my higher power has placed me there and who am I to argue? It keeps me sober one day at a time. :)
zteknik
Forums Enthusiast

Postby PaigeB » Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:17 pm

I was pretty angry when I came in, but dead set on getting "a homegroup, a sponsor and work the Steps". I looked at a few different ones... ones that needed help and ones where I thought the right people went and looked at locations that were convenient to me. The last one had a lot to do with the reason I chose it - the location made it a "sure thing". I chose a women's meeting, but not because they were women or because I had any special thing to add or because I thought they had a good service structure... I chose them because I had complaints and because I thought they hated me.

None of that seemed to matter to them and they welcomed me into their business meetings, let me talk and soon gave me the key to the church. They elected me as their GSR because I was willing, not because they thought I had anything special to offer. They continued to laugh with me and sometimes not so gently told me to check my ego. NEVER did they tell me to go away and not come back - on the contrary, they seemed quite happy that I kept on coming back!

I thought they were stuck with me and turns out I was stuck with them. I wouldn't leave even if I thought I wanted to!
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Previous

Return to The Home Group