What makes your Home Group special to you?

Is the concept of a Home Group dying? What is a Home Group anyway? Talk about it here.

What makes your Home Group special to you?

Postby Joe H » Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:50 am

Many of us have a Home Group that we believe is the best Goup in A.A.

Would you care to share why you joined your Home Group?
Joe H
Forums Long Timer

Postby Janalc » Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:16 am

Hello everybody

In the beginning I just searched for help, every hand I coul hold on to was welcome, if not necessary to survive. I did'n think about the group in the beginning. It also took three weeks (three meetings) for me to be able to share my thoughts and experiences.
Soon after I joined my homegroup however I felt more and more warmth, welcome, stability and rest during our meetings.
Sometimes We speak about a "warm blanket", I felt it too, in my homegroup I feel at home, like "welcome, take a chair, have a cup of coffee (thea), breathe, take some rest, and when you want to speak, or just listen if you like, it's ok".
Things I admire and appreciate today about my homegroup and AA, is that normaly speeking people just listen when somebody speaks about him/her self, without judging or telling someone what they must do.
Last week at a 20 year celebration someone said that if meetings in companys were the same as in aa, the meetingtime and would decrease with 66 %, or more and the efficiency would increase with the same amount.
Letting someone speak without interupting and telling someone what's better for them, but in stead of that respecting their storys and personalitys give groupmembers room and safety to tell their story and feel safe too.
That's (among many other things, also about myself) what I've learned in my chairmans period, one wrong word or judgement can break a newcomer, when he/she tells some life-experiences and at the same time shows a part of his/her deep soul, and throw them back to the streets, liquer store etc. I think it's important to handle with discretion and integrity, to all of our groupmembers, and ourselfs.
That's the thing I appreciate the most of my homegroup (and in AA). I'm still thankfull for that every day. It makes it possible for me to live my (AA) life, without alcohol.

Thanks for reading and have a good 24 hours.

Jan, alcoholic
Janalc
Forums Enthusiast

Postby pabscat2 » Tue May 05, 2009 4:28 pm

hi Joe good topic this !
My home group was the first place that the folks said keep coming back. this group held meetings twice a week, step meeting mid week and a chaired meeting at the weekend. everyone was so friendly and they were well organised it seemed to me, two members from the group came and 12th stepped me and took me to the meeting. We were met by the greeters at the door and once in the meeting welcomed by all the people present, i was shocked by the seeming care these people showed me. i felt safe for the first time in good while.
i remained as a member for about two years at that group and even took up commitments setting up, making tea and coffee putting out literature etc.
someone sponsored me from the group also..
they gave me a strong home group ethic that has remained with me ever since. i started my own meeting with a guy i met in that group. i stayed as a member for 12 years at that meeting doing all the service positions all except the treasurer. i got involved at intergroup via GSR position and sponsored new comers throughout. i have been a regular member at the group im with now for about 6 years and i believe that my first group set up good AA practice that really inspired me i am so grateful to those people for the example they showed me.
Redhotchilliepeppers
pabscat2
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Oliver » Wed May 06, 2009 1:34 am

My homegroup is the one I went into the first night when I was really broken. The people there welcomed me, I found my sponsor there and I've always felt safe there. It's quite a small meeting, so we know each other quite well and there's an awesome mix of newcomers, oldtimers and inbetweeners. Also, for somebody who's an Englishman in Scotland - there are quite a few English attend it. That's not so important now, but back when I came in I was somewhat biggoted and hated having to strain myself to listen to the Scottish accent!

I have two other homegroups - one a step meeting (with a tradition once a month), which I attend to keep myself rooted in the programme of action. The other is a Big Book discussion meeting, which I attend primarily because it's convenient and unusually for meetings up here there's a balance between women and men. Sometimes I find that as someone who got sober young, I get a lot of identity with women alcoholics. When I first came round, the women at that meeting really looked after me (they're mostly like 40 years or more older than me!) and for some reason if there's a meeting that I'm going to bare my soul at... it's that meeting.

In addition I attend at least one (sometimes two) more meetings a week. These tend to be in another district - I enjoy making connections in the fellowship across a wide area.

One of the things I love about the fellowship is that I get to meet and befriend a massive range of people that I wouldn't ordinarily get to meet. In a University town such as this, it's easy for us to get into 'town' and 'gown' groups, but in AA we bridge the gap: everybody mixes together.
Oliver
"In exchange for bottle and hangover, I have been given the keys to the kingdom."
Oliver
Forums Old Timer

Home groups

Postby Darryl K » Wed May 06, 2009 3:15 pm

On Sunday I will have 6 Mos.sober Istarted going to one meeting all the time and thought I may make it my home group. But I started to check other meetings in the area and I can't find one that I would make my H.G.because one is better or worse than the other. For me in early recovery its important that I attend a meeting any meeting. I'm lucky to live in an area that has alot of A.A. and N.A. meetings. Although I don't use drugs other than alcohol I do go to N.A meetings.
I dont see the importance of a home group as long as your hitting the meetings.
Darryl K
Forums Newcomer

Postby Oliver » Wed May 06, 2009 3:36 pm

Congrats on your sober time! :)
Oliver
"In exchange for bottle and hangover, I have been given the keys to the kingdom."
Oliver
Forums Old Timer

Postby Ken_the_Geordie » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:02 am

My home group is the first AA meeting I attended. It's not a hard-core BB group (I go to another meeting for that), we only have one step meeting a month, and quite often that goes off on tangents, (some make gentle fun at me because they know the step meetings are my favourate :D ) but the regular attenders made me feel right at 'home' from the very begining.

They do it to all the new commers; there's just something special about the mix of people who go there; something very kind.

I guess I enjoy the Fellowship more than anything at this particular meeting.
I'm more commonly known as Tosh (it's a nick name, but everyone I know in real life calls me it); just in case there's any confusion; I tend to use Tosh or Ken interchangeably and it confuses some; including me. ;-)
Ken_the_Geordie
Forums Old Timer

Postby sobercow » Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:17 am

My sobriety started at an inpatient treatment center.
That is where I found my home group.
Two men came to speak one night and one of them mentioned
where his home group was.

It was 10 min from my house,thats a mtg I'll go to I told myself.
Well I did not make it there for about 3mo.
There where warrants out for my arrest and I was picked up
four days out of treatment(still sober) and spent almost 90 days in jail.

Talk about 90 in 90 :D

Santa Claus bonded me out of jail at 10pm on Christmas eve,I went to a mtg on Christmas day!

The next Friday I went to the mtg of that mans home group.
That mtg became my home group.
That man became my sponsor,the Lord works in mysterious ways
:D

Goodbye Milky Way;Hello Sober Day.
sobercow
Forums Enthusiast

Re: What makes your Home Group special to you?

Postby Service » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:58 pm

A.A is my home group and it is "ALL" special to me because I was not diverted and keep it as a whole.
Any where any time any place~!!!
Service
Forums Contributor

Postby Tommy-S » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:28 pm

Service wrote:A.A is my home group and it is "ALL" special to me because I was not diverted and keep it as a whole.
Any where any time any place~!!!

You know, Service, that 's like saying I'm a professional baseball player... but don't have a Team.

Claiming the MLB as my Team won't get me paid much, and I doubt anyone will ever see me in a game, simply because what side would I be on?

No rule says I HAVE to have a Home Group, but a Home Group IS one "proof" that I am an AA member (if only to me), not just some wandering soul, lost loner, or social misfit.

It also says I know how to behave myself, as being a member of any Team requires discipline, self-sacrifice, and humility as I need the willingness to put the good of the Team/Group first .

Something to think about... Thanks

Tommy
Together, we don't have to cave in or wimp out to that Fatal First One, no matter what today!
Tommy-S
Forums Old Timer

Postby Lali » Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:43 pm

My home group is where I feel most comfortable. They are like my extended family. I try to make all newcomers fel as comfortable as I am, while suggesting that they attend other meetings as well.
Step 1: I can't
Step 2: He can
Step 3: I think I'll let him
Lali
Forums Old Timer

Postby Texan » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:33 pm

I attend two different groups, one of which I bonded with a bit more than the other. I 'officially' joined the one I bonded a bit more with at the last business meeting. It isn't that I don't get as much from the other, it's more like there are more opportunities at the one I joined than the other. There is a third, loosely organized closed group I attend as time permits once weekly.

The group I joined recently has a very diverse group with up to three meetings a day at different times. The noon group is the one I almost exclusively attend. At the same time I joined, I volunteered to take a rotation at chairing one noon meeting a week. Today was in fact the first day for me to chair a meeting. One of the old timers approached me after the meeting saying it was obvious that I'd chaired meetings previously. She was surprised when I told her that it was my first time. I told her that it was because I felt at home and comfortable with the group. I still don't think she believed me.
Keep on Keeping on, One Day at a Time.
Texan
Forums Long Timer

Postby johnd » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:02 pm

Hi and Thanks for the topic,
I have 2 special groups that are considered my "Homegroup". What attractts me to these groups is the recovery. The strength within the meetings is really amazing. They both stay right with the traditions and continue support of A.A.'s singleness of purpose.

Both groups have a lot of "Longtimers" who had been with the groups for over 35 years... they keep attending because they love A.A. and always want to keep what they have by sharing , and continuing 12 step work.

it really feels like home to me, because of the true friends I have acquired from these 2 groups. No matter what is going on in my life, I know I have a safe harbor to pull into. That is what the true "Fellowship of the Spirit" is, Unity, Service, and Recovery. Very Much Alive here.. Thanks John D.
Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans- Anonymous
johnd
Forums Long Timer

Postby becksdad » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:12 pm

Cool topic! My Home Group is really important to me! We actually meet 4 times a week (small town, only one other group within the next 10 miles). I go to lots of other meetings in the "big town" (lol), but I have literally fallen in love with the people in my Home Group. And I know they love me, too.
becksdad
Forums Long Timer

Home Group Special

Postby Marc L » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:34 pm

Hi;
I'm Marc and I'm Alcoholic.
I don't have a HomeGroup.
I do WorldWide AA from Home on my computer. There are many people in that group.
Most are unreachable for me but they can read the stuff on my Dingy if they want.
I do what I can to help others. It ain't all that much but it's better than nothing.
I care and I share and That's All Folks.

Marc
Recovery won't just happen by Osmosis. You gonna' have to work at it some.
12th Step work ain't just a job... It's an Adventure.
Marc L
Forums Old Timer

Next

Return to The Home Group