The First Home Group

Is the concept of a Home Group dying? What is a Home Group anyway? Talk about it here.

The First Home Group

Postby Scott L » Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:15 am

Good Morning all,
I'm researching information for a Workshop my Home Group will be hosting in March. Our topic is "The Home Group".
Does anyone have any additional information on the First Home Group?
I've found out it was in Akron Ohio and was established in 1940. My research revealed this was Dr. Bobs Home Group, but that about all information I've found thus far. During my research, I found this forum and joined.
Thks
Scott L
Taylorsville, KY
Scott L
Forums Newcomer

Re: The First Home Group

Postby OnPoint » Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:43 am

Scott, everything I know about the first home group came out of the book "Dr. Bob and the good old timers". (I think I got that title right, I don't have it in front of me)
OnPoint
Forums Enthusiast

Postby ezdzit247 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:34 pm

Hi Scott.

I'm not sure how you are defining the phrase "home group"? I read Bob P's History of AA on the Silkworth website and was surprised to find there were many AA meeting groups established in different parts of the US after the BB was published in 1939 and before Ohian alcoholics finally broke away from the Oxford group.
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.” -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
ezdzit247
Forums Old Timer

Postby PaigeB » Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:27 pm

If you go to the USA/Canada GSO website http://www.aa.org/pages/en_US/find-aa-resources
Search:
Home Group
I found these links you can follow:
Literature matching "Home Group" (175) +
Pages matching "Home Group" (54) +
Newsletters matching "Home Group" (271) +
Press Releases matching "Home Group" (16) +
Videos matching "Home Group" (1) +
Audios matching "Home Group" (1) +

One thing I know is that I made a commitment to a Home Group and I still maintain that. It was part of me "getting in the middle of AA" when I first came in. Service merely doing dishes brought profound feelings of purpose which service has given me many times since then. It help us complete the Triangle of Unity, Service and Recovery in a seemingly small way, but the Group IS the most important thing when we think of our 1st Tradition. Good luck!
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby Patsy© » Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:35 am

Hi Scott,

If you look in the Big Book in the "Forward To The Second Edition" page xvii ,it says the first AA group was in Akron, second group was NY, the third group was in Cleveland.
Failed 12 Step Call? Not if we walk away sober!
Patsy©
Forums Contributor

Return to The Home Group