Home Group Decision

Is the concept of a Home Group dying? What is a Home Group anyway? Talk about it here.

Re: Home Group Decision

Postby Iand2015 » Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:20 am

Thanks I'm new too the online side off things but I have my meetings here in Ireland I'm 90 days sober now I was in treatment and am out a short while but its people places and things ain't changed just me is it right too want or expect others is family friends too have changed now I'm in recovery any answers I welcome
Iand2015
Forums Newcomer

Postby leejosepho » Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:31 am

Iand2015 wrote:Thanks I'm new too the online side off things but I have my meetings here in Ireland

If you are enjoying those meetings and learning and taking the Steps, keep doing that!

Iand2015 wrote:is it right too want or expect others is family friends too have changed now I'm in recovery any answers I welcome

Wanting others to change is certainly fine, but actually *expecting* others to change either for my sake or because of something I might be doing usually just leads to more trouble for me. I have learned I must walk the recovery path for myself and even for their sake, and even if or while my fellow A.A.s might be my only pathway companions.
=======================
"We A.A.s do not *stay* away from drinking [one day at a
time] -- we *grow* away from drinking [one day at a time]."
("Lois Remembers", page 168, quoting Bill, emphasis added)
=======================
leejosepho
Forums Old Timer

Postby Tosh » Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:49 am

Iand2015 wrote:Thanks I'm new too the online side off things but I have my meetings here in Ireland I'm 90 days sober now I was in treatment and am out a short while but its people places and things ain't changed just me is it right too want or expect others is family friends too have changed now I'm in recovery any answers I welcome

Hi Land, welcome to the forum.

I had the strange (but common) experience of seeing people change as I changed. A top example is my Mum, she had disowned me and we hadn't spoke in ten years. In fact I didn't know if she was alive or dead and that didn't bother me (well maybe a bit).

Anyway, on Step 9 where we make amends to those we'd harmed, I'd prepared the way to see her. Firstly by sending her a Christmas card (with the help of my sponsor) and then some difficult phone calls, and then I went to see her face-to-face to make a direct amend. She lives in Newcastle, I live in South Wales. It was a five hour drive and I really didn't want to see her. She was a hard-hearted woman, cold, and just hard and unforgiving.

After my amend on the drive home I realised that my Mum wasn't hard-hearted, she was just a little old lady who had her life pulled apart by an alcoholic husband (my father) and myself. Do you see how she changed from being hard-hearted to just a lady who had been through the mill?

What actually happened was that I changed, and that my perception of her had changed.

All my relationships have changed in this way, but some things take time. Trust has to be earned too, and it's not an overnight matter.

Well done on the sober time; my suggestion would be to keep your eyes/ears open for a good Big Book based sponsor. And I love Ireland too, inspite of the fact that my first wife was Irish (though she was one of those strange Presbyterian ones from the 'Narth'; she could shout at me just like how Ian Paisley used to go on :lol: ).

Regards

Tosh
Come, come, whoever you are. Wanderer, worshiper, lover of leaving. It doesn't matter. Ours is not a caravan of despair. Come, even if you have broken your vows a thousand times. Come, yet again, come, come.” Rumi (No sniggering from the sex addicts)
Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Postby Patsy© » Sat Dec 12, 2015 7:09 am

That would depend upon what is meant by "service", and I have never considered taking care of one's own group's day-to-day responsibilities as "service". At least for myself, service" began after having learned the principles of amended living:

Actually, suiting up and showing up at ones AA home group or any other AA meeting is SERVICE. We are gathered together to stay sober and help other alcoholics to achieve sobriety.

Home Group Decision: -----> AA Home Groups are gathered together in Unity, Service and Recovery and are vital to the very survival of Alcoholics Anonymous as a whole.

When joining an AA home group, that AA group has a GSO number and its for that one local AA group only! There is a major difference between an AA home group and an AA meeting.

An AA group gathers at a set time and place and they exist outside the prescribed meeting hours, ready to provide Twelfth Step help when needed. A.A. groups are encouraged to register with G.S.O., as well as with their local offices: area, district, intergroup or central office.

An AA meeting, can be put on anywhere, anytime.... A couple of AA members who meet to share their experience, strength and hope for the purpose of staying sober is an AA meeting. They can meet over the phone, at the beach, on a rooftop, at a mountain side, in a parking lot or anywhere, anytime. They may or may not meet again...but they do not have a GSO number.

As it says in Concept I:
The final responsibility and the ultimate authority for A.A. world services should always reside in the collective conscience of our whole Fellowship.
The A.A. Group—the Final Voice of the Fellowship Alcoholics Anonymous has been called an upside-down organization because "the ultimate responsibility and final authority for world services resides with the groups—rather than with the trustees, the General Service Board or the General Service Office in New York." ("Twelve Concepts For World Service Illustrated").
Failed 12 Step Call? Not if we walk away sober!
Patsy©
Forums Contributor

Postby Brock » Sat Dec 12, 2015 7:41 am

Actually, suiting up and showing up at ones AA home group or any other AA meeting is SERVICE. We are gathered together to stay sober and help other alcoholics to achieve sobriety.

I agree with Patsy 100%, not only is attending meetings and doing the groups chores service, but according to the 12 & 12 it is twelve step work as well, from page 110.
Nor is this the only kind of Twelfth Step work. We sit in A.A. meetings and listen, not only to receive something ourselves, but to give the reassurance and support which our presence can bring. If our turn comes to speak at a meeting, we again try to carry A.A.'s message. Whether our audience is one or many, it is still Twelfth Step work. There are many opportunities even for those of us who feel unable to speak at meetings or who are so situated that we cannot do much face-to-face Twelfth Step work. We can be the ones who take on the unspectacular but important tasks that make good Twelfth Step work possible, perhaps arranging for the coffee and cake after the meetings, where so many skeptical, suspicious newcomers have found confidence and comfort in the laughter and talk. This is Twelfth Step work in the very best sense of the word. “Freely ye have received; freely give . . .” is the core of this part of Step Twelve.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby Patsy© » Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:06 am

Brock wrote:

I agree with Patsy 100%, not only is attending meetings and doing the groups chores service, but according to the 12 & 12 it is twelve step work as well, from page 110.
Nor is this the only kind of Twelfth Step work. We sit in A.A. meetings and listen, not only to receive something ourselves, but to give the reassurance and support which our presence can bring. If our turn comes to speak at a meeting, we again try to carry A.A.'s message. Whether our audience is one or many, it is still Twelfth Step work. There are many opportunities even for those of us who feel unable to speak at meetings or who are so situated that we cannot do much face-to-face Twelfth Step work. We can be the ones who take on the unspectacular but important tasks that make good Twelfth Step work possible, perhaps arranging for the coffee and cake after the meetings, where so many skeptical, suspicious newcomers have found confidence and comfort in the laughter and talk. This is Twelfth Step work in the very best sense of the word. “Freely ye have received; freely give . . .” is the core of this part of Step Twelve.

Thank you so much Brock for posting that from page 110 :)

Patsy
Failed 12 Step Call? Not if we walk away sober!
Patsy©
Forums Contributor

Previous

Return to The Home Group