Member of more than one group.

Is the concept of a Home Group dying? What is a Home Group anyway? Talk about it here.

Member of more than one group.

Postby Gary T. » Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:23 pm

This is a question. Can an alcoholic join more than one group? I can't find any literature that talks of this one way or the other. Please note that I am not interested in opinions. I have my own. I'm mainly interested in what AA has to say about it. Thanks
Gary T.
Gary T.
Forums Newcomer

Re: Member of more than one group.

Postby avaneesh912 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:23 am

I know its not written anywhere. But a question. Why does it matter? Just do what you like. Or is it just the alcoholics common trait, to make everything complicated?
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby positrac » Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:31 am

Gary T. wrote:This is a question. Can an alcoholic join more than one group? I can't find any literature that talks of this one way or the other. Please note that I am not interested in opinions. I have my own. I'm mainly interested in what AA has to say about it. Thanks
Gary T.

I had two home groups and chaired weekly at 3 others and so for me it was a good thing and got me out of my shell and made me learn and do the steps and become a friend and much more. So short answer is this: This program is an inside job and if you want or need that exposure I would recommend stepping up and getting involved.
You must live your life from beginning to end: No one else can do it for you.
Hopi Proverb
positrac
Forums Old Timer

Postby Robert R » Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:14 am

The only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking.
I accept the above exactly as it is written. No analysis, no dissection, no complication and certainly no translation to fit my needs :lol:
Don't know exactly where I am going but I'm on my way and it's already much better than where I've been.
Robert R
Forums Contributor

Postby Brock » Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:39 am

In describing what a home group is the pamphlet “The AA Group” speaks of one home group, here is the section with added emphasis.
The A.A. Home Group
Traditionally, most A.A. members through the years
have found it important to belong to one group
which they call their “Home Group.”
This is the
group where they accept service responsibilities
and try to sustain friendships. And although all A.A.
members are usually welcome at all groups and feel
at home at any of these meetings, the concept of
the “Home Group” has still remained the strongest
bond between the A.A. member and the Fellowship.

Our literature, especially where it relates to service, continuously recommends rotation of positions to give everyone the opportunity to serve. And while there are certain jobs as we discussed here recently that nobody seems to want, it is unfair and selfish to do the more ‘popular’ chores at more than one group, in my experience chairmanship is the most popular of them all.

Here is the link to when we discussed this some years ago.
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=7518
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby ezdzit247 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:08 am

Gary T. wrote:This is a question. Can an alcoholic join more than one group? I can't find any literature that talks of this one way or the other. Please note that I am not interested in opinions. I have my own. I'm mainly interested in what AA has to say about it. Thanks
Gary T.

Hi Gary T.

Mary T. here.

The short answer is: yes, any alcoholic can join as many or as few AA meeting groups as they want to.

The long answer is "AA", i.e. AA's GSO in New York, has nothing "official" to say in answer to your question. It has lots of "suggestions" for AA meeting groups, but it doesn't have the authority to issue any rules for AA meeting groups because assuming that authority would be a gross violation of AA's Traditions. Each individual AA meeting group in the global AA fellowship is autonomous per Tradition 4. So, if any meeting group calls itself an "AA" meeting group, the only requirement for "membership" for joining that AA meeting group is a "desire to stop drinking" per Tradition 3. Period. In other words, any alcoholic is a member of any AA meeting group if that person says they are a member.

Keep coming back....
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.” -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
ezdzit247
Forums Old Timer

Postby leejosepho » Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:29 pm

A clear, simple answer here can be subject to a wide variety of factors. I have never been a member of more than one group, but neither have I ever been a member of any group that did not have enough going on so that I had no time, reason or desire to look elsewhere anyway. And then in places where meetings of irregular "members at large" -- no actual "two or three calling themselves an A.A. group" (Tradition Three) -- are all there are, ya just gotta do whatever ya gotta do with whatever might be available unless/until you and one or two others might decide to start your own.
=======================
"We A.A.s do not *stay* away from drinking [one day at a
time] -- we *grow* away from drinking [one day at a time]."
("Lois Remembers", page 168, quoting Bill, emphasis added)
=======================
leejosepho
Forums Old Timer

Postby Slurpee'sPops » Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:17 pm

My "home group" only meets once a week, so finding one other group was a must. :mrgreen:
Slurpee'sPops
Forums Newcomer

Postby ann2 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:37 am

One visits other groups but isn't a member because we express our wishes as a group to our service structure. If one person participates in more than one group conscience then he or she is having more influence on the decisions being made on behalf of A.A.

Certainly I went to a lot of meetings when I lived in Boston. But I belonged to one group, and that's where I did service. That's where I felt at home.

Ann
"If I don't take twenty walks, Billy Beane send me to Mexico" -- Miguel Tejada
ann2
Forums Old Timer

Postby leejosepho » Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:36 am

Yes, and then in at least some places there is a difference between groups and meetings anyway even if the distinctions are not known by all present or reflected on the meeting schedule. In the town where I first got sober, there was one group advertising 35 meetings per week but it was very unusual to regularly see the same faces at more than one or two meetings anywhere. Then later in another, smaller town in a different state, each meeting was an alleged "group" but the same core of about a dozen people typically attended most of them.
=======================
=======================
leejosepho
Forums Old Timer

Postby Tosh » Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:29 am

I started off with two homegroups, then two coffee commitments, then on top of that I set up both meetings, cleared away, did the washing up, chaired one of the meetings, found the weekly speaker, and probably some other stuff.

I then got really resentful about it all and kicked off with my sponsor who told me to get honest with my homegroups and tell them that I will only have one homegroup and do one service commitment.
Come, come, whoever you are. Wanderer, worshiper, lover of leaving. It doesn't matter. Ours is not a caravan of despair. Come, even if you have broken your vows a thousand times. Come, yet again, come, come.” Rumi (No sniggering from the sex addicts)
Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Postby leejosepho » Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:52 am

...started off with...two coffee commitments...set up...cleared away, did the washing up, chaired...found the weekly speaker, and probably some other stuff.

...sponsor who told me...only...one service commitment.

Wise sponsor, imo, as long as others were there and willing and able to help get all things done.

My own first homegroup met every night of the week and so many of us were so "humbly" willing and ready to serve that even the non-smokers occasionally vied for position at the sink for washing dirty ashtrays and an assignment schedule had to be made!
=======================
=======================
leejosepho
Forums Old Timer

Postby Lali » Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:08 am

You can have more than one home group but you will find that you can only vote in one. I can't imagine why anyone would want more than one home group. What would be the purpose?
Step 1: I can't
Step 2: He can
Step 3: I think I'll let him
Lali
Forums Old Timer

Return to The Home Group