Service Dog-Closed Meeting

Is the concept of a Home Group dying? What is a Home Group anyway? Talk about it here.

Service Dog-Closed Meeting

Postby pmccratic » Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:32 am

There is a woman with a service dog who would like to attend our women's meeting, but the church does not allow animals in the room we are in. We are unable to change rooms at this church. The woman said she would sit in the hallway with the door open so she could attend the meeting and if there is a lot of traffic, she would close the door. It is a closed meeting.
There are rich with many other meetings in our district throughout the day and a clubhouse.

I am looking for experience around such issues and a open to hearing others point of view.

Thank you
pmccratic
Forums Newcomer

Re: Service Dog-Closed Meeting

Postby CGPoolman » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:10 am

I understand the church doesn't allow "animals", but it is my understanding that as long as a service animal is clearly marked (with a vest/sash/etc) they are permitted to go anywhere people do. I see them in restaurants all the time. I see a man at the gym a few times a week with his service dog. I'm not sure that any establishment can ban a service animal, but then again I'm not a lawyer. I'm sure the laws could vary from state to state. Could be a private property thing as well, but in my opinion there is an obvious difference between a pet on a leash and a service animal.

-CG
CGPoolman
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Squawking Hawk » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:32 am

I want pmccratic to know that I am reading the post. I have no direct experience with the issue of service dogs that pmccratic raises nor have I been at a meeting where a service dog issue has come up.

Hawk
Ms. Hawk

I will never forget
Squawking Hawk
Forums Old Timer

Postby PaigeB » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:10 am

I think that the GSR of the group might want to have a talk with church. Service dogs are probably the exception.
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Return to The Home Group