Multi Group Membership

Is the concept of a Home Group dying? What is a Home Group anyway? Talk about it here.

Re: Multi Group Membership

Postby Longwalker » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:26 pm

Yes it was put to a vote but he had not thought it through properly out of the 9 full time members there were only 4 there and 2 of them were long term friends
Longwalker
Forums Newcomer

Postby natsume » Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:43 pm

Interesting topic. Where I am now and have been for about the past 6 months, "everybody" is generally invited to business meetings, and the business meetings I have attended, in three different groups, seem happy to have whomever can show up, and include them in votes. The attitude seems to be that you are "in" if you are there that day. I abstained from voting in one large group and took a cleaning service position, but my abstention was self-imposed. In another small group I feel is a bit more like a home group I have voted, simply because I am very clearly invited to, and in the third group, which is really becoming my home group, I also vote.

I feel a pretty strong "member" of the latter two groups, so I guess I have two home groups, really. I wasn't aware there were areas where this was not common or would be questioned.

I know a woman who has 3 secretary positions. I guess it is different every where.
natsume

Postby AlmostGone » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:35 am

I am no expert.
I am a meetings person.
I have my home group. I as all group members are a key holder. Open up as needed.
Attend and vote on group counciounce decisions.
I attend other meetings regulaly and am on ocasions invited as an "observer" at their group concionce. However dont vote.
But will help set up pack up at these groups.
I attend 8 or 9 groups on a regular basis.
Going to uo to 4 or 5 on a Sunday on my "AA days".
AlmostGone
Forums Newcomer

Postby ADA » Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:52 am

Seems like someone has missed the boat to a certain extent. Not all Groups are located in large centers. My Group is very rural and consists of only about 3-4 card signed Members and they do not all attend regularly. There are however as many as 7-8 other Members who attend my Home Group on a regular basis. Because we reside in the country many attend as many meetings as possible at various Groups all the time.

The 3-4 card signed Members at my Home Group are not able to hold all the elected positions and some are not even interested in putting their name forward. Is it going against some unwritten AA rule that some of the regular visitors to my Home Group are forbidden to hold any positions or have a vote especially if they have signed cards with other Groups? As a small Group we don't have the luxury to pick and choose.

ADA
ADA
Forums Newcomer

Postby Brock » Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:05 pm

Welcome to e-AA ADA.

Like you I live where the groups are small, my home group has just 3 members. It’s normal for anyone to pitch in and help with any position, but when it comes to voting we don’t allow that, we are strict that each person only have voting rights at one group. I can’t think of any reason why to have more people voting would be better, we sometimes ask others who attend near the end of a meeting, if they would like any changes made, (usually we don’t need to ask because people just offer suggestions). But when it comes to committing the group to any change, especially where spending money is concerned, only group members decide.

Any time this is discussed here it seems that most feel there’s nothing wrong with it, except where the vote concerns matters which are the groups position on an area decision, anything which could affect all the groups in an area.

Is it going against some unwritten AA rule that some of the regular visitors to my Home Group are forbidden to hold any positions or have a vote especially if they have signed cards with other Groups?

The pamphlet ‘The AA Group – Where it all Begins,’ takes a fairly strict view on this and indicates voting at one group only, it says this among other things under the home group section, (emphasis added) --
Traditionally, most A.A. members through the years have found it important to belong to one group that they call their “home group.” This is the group where they accept service responsibilities and try to sustain friendships. And although all A.A. members are usually welcome at all groups and feel at home at any of these meetings, the concept of the home group has still remained the strongest bond between the A.A. member and the Fellowship. With membership comes the right to vote on issues that might affect the group and might also affect A.A. as a whole — a process that forms the very cornerstone of A.A.’s service structure. As with all group-conscience matters, each A.A. member has one vote; and this, ideally, is voiced through the home group.

That’s how we operate where I live, and I think it’s best for all concerned.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby ADA » Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:41 pm

Look like I said earlier our Group is small at 3-4 Members. I have been Chair for 3 yrs. and Treasurer for 12 yrs. I Chair 50% of each meeting held each week. Nobody wants to volunteer. I have 36 yrs. sobriety and I'm starting to get tired. Surely Group guidelines cannot be that backwards. Currently my visitors have indicated they like the way our Group operates and if any changes are made they will stop coming. Time to close the doors?
ADA
Forums Newcomer

Postby Brock » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:26 pm

Maybe not time to close the doors, but surely time for some changes. Like I said I am from a similar area, small meetings with few members to assist in the group. I have nowhere near your length of sobriety, but when I first joined a group in 2009, they asked for volunteers for coffee maker. Turns out coffee maker was also treasurer, anyway I put my hand up and the lady who was doing it was thrilled, told me after she had been at it for over two years, and couldn’t get anyone to take over before I joined. The meeting grew and became popular with visitors, I did the job, also coming half hour early to set up and staying after to clean up, and each year asked for a volunteer to take over, no takers for four years, but volunteers for chairperson no problem, they all liked that job. Finally I called for a members meeting and took the accounts book and all the cash, said it’s unfair and was causing me a resentment, I am finished with that job. Only then did two other members step up and take over, one for coffee and one as treasurer.

The meetings didn’t suffer and nobody blamed me for quitting, I believe we must put our foot down sometimes. If you have been chair for three years and treasurer for twelve, and the group has 3-4 members, those other members are terrible examples of the legacy of service AA is known for.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby tomsteve » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:16 am

ADA wrote:Look like I said earlier our Group is small at 3-4 Members. I have been Chair for 3 yrs. and Treasurer for 12 yrs. I Chair 50% of each meeting held each week. Nobody wants to volunteer. I have 36 yrs. sobriety and I'm starting to get tired. Surely Group guidelines cannot be that backwards. Currently my visitors have indicated they like the way our Group operates and if any changes are made they will stop coming. Time to close the doors?

ADA, have you happened to read about the spirit of rotation? theres some good reading on it avaliable and i think it is mentioned in the pamphlet,"the AA group."

it would be a great topic at a meeting,too.
tomsteve
Forums Contributor

Previous

Return to The Home Group