How to attract people to you're group

Is the concept of a Home Group dying? What is a Home Group anyway? Talk about it here.

How to attract people to you're group

Postby John ace » Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:24 am

What makes your home group attractive to you ?
How can a struggling new group attract more people ?
Is your group small ?
Is you're group to huge ?
What makes a group a great group ?
My aa meeting has only operated for 6 months most of the time it's just 3 founding members so I need some help.
Will food work ?
John ace
Forums Enthusiast

Re: How to attract people to you're group

Postby ann2 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:09 am

Hi John,

Great question. My experience is that your situation is not unusual. I was in the position of helping to start a group and found I was occasionally the only person there. I stayed the whole hour and read aloud from the literature and I wasn't alone :)

Getting involved in the wider service structure was one source of getting out the word about our group. Another was something we didn't try at the time, but was something other groups have done -- print up a brief postcard of info, using the aa.org PR selections, and leave it in doctor's offices, at churches, and on bulletin boards in laundromats, etc. I know I once connected with a group ONLY through such a message.

One active group I was part of started out with just one person who met by himself for TWO YEARS before any regulars started coming. He was a real example to me. And I couldn't have been more grateful for his service because that group meant the world to me.

Is your group bringing meetings to detoxes, prisons, rehabs, half-way houses? The newcomer is the basic source of growth.

Ann
"If I don't take twenty walks, Billy Beane send me to Mexico" -- Miguel Tejada
ann2
Forums Old Timer

Re: How to attract people to your group

Postby Tommy-S » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:23 am

Re: How to attract people to your group Ann's so I won't repeat, but in thinking about the topic, though, I wondered "WHY?"

You see, as a suspcious newcomer, I asked those old drunks 'why' they wanted to help me as I had never done anything without expecting a payoff.

They told me they did because it heped them, and the only thing they wanted in return was IF I got this AA thing and stayed sober, to continue to keep the door open for the next guy (gal) who was looking for a way out of that Mad realm behind the drink

I've tried to repay that debt throughout the years, but it mattered little whether I sat alone in a meeting overseas or on ship, or surrounded by dozens... I was fulfilling my obligation to those who helped

I think the focus is the same (or should be), whether it is a mega-group with hundreds or a simple few... AA Groups are tasked to carry the message of recovery to alcoholics still suffering.

As the group is relatively new, give time time... Focus on helping Alcoholics ... There is a difference between Attraction & Promotion

Tommy
Together, we don't have to cave in or wimp out to that Fatal First One, no matter what today!
Tommy-S
Forums Old Timer

Postby PaigeB » Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:03 am

Food usually does work! Child care is hard to come by and that will bring them too!

In my District it is allowed for meetings do to a flyer which is distributed to the other groups to read out during the announcements portion of the meeting...

New meeting at Blank Church at 8pm, Closed discussion...

The Solutions Group is alive and well and would like you to join us 7pm Fridays...

Come celebrate sobriety Saturday at noon at the park, hosted by the Our Experience Group, Speaker at 3pm. Our regular at 3pm on Saturdays is an open topic discussion meeting at Grace Church on "L" street.

But what really brings them is knowing you are there. Get a GSR to the District meeting and the Area meetings.
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby Lali » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:39 am

A couple of guys from my home group started a new meeting. When it was time to make "announcements for the good of AA", they would announce their new meeting and encourage people to come. Their meeting is thriving now! Good luck with your new endeavor!
Step 1: I can't
Step 2: He can
Step 3: I think I'll let him
Lali
Forums Old Timer

Postby Blue Moon » Mon May 05, 2014 10:20 pm

Does it carry AA's message, and serve a purpose which is not already served in/near the town?

In my Area, opinions are spreading that there are far too many AA meetings. This can dilute both the message and the fellowship, just as having too few can do.
Ian S
AKA Blue Moon
Blue Moon
Site Admin

Postby chefchip » Tue May 06, 2014 7:26 am

My last home group, which I am no longer a part of due to schedule constraints, started out very small. It was just a few people who liked being together and sharing sobriety together. Most of them were the same sponsorship family. But, in less than a year, it went from a handful of people to a meeting that attracts well over 100, and that's on a bad night! How did they do it?

They persevered. They invited friends and new people. They stuck to what they knew -- the steps and the Big Book. They did service work -- going to detox and rehabs, working with halfway houses, etc. The got together "outside the meeting." They did sobriety events. And, most of all, they stayed sober and worked their programs, together. I'm not sure there was any one thing that made it work. It just sort of happened. Much like the beginning of AA. But I know this. Other than announcements that they had started a new meeting, there was no promotion. Word of mouth was their marketing tool, usually word of mouth from people who came to visit and liked what they saw and heard. Attraction, not promotion.

Oh, and as has already been said, bigger is not necessarily better. Some of the best meetings I attend these days are the ones with less than a dozen folks.
The only constant in life is change.
chefchip
Forums Old Timer

Postby Roberth » Mon May 12, 2014 12:10 pm

hello John, I’m not sure it any one thing. When I started out it was the example of sobriety seems to be high on my list. But now it’s the example of service. My home group is the Skid Row Drifters and we are a group that take meeting into the heart of Los Angeles’ Skid Row. We set up in a park and have a meeting. Something clicked and I have been hanging out there for the last 15 years and counting
Robert
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in pretty, well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming WOW What a ride!!!!
Roberth
Forums Long Timer

Postby larrylive » Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:59 am

Why do you want more people to attend your group meetings?
All the gods send their drunks to AA
larrylive
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Lali » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:50 pm

larrylive wrote:Why do you want more people to attend your group meetings?

Why not?

For a group to thrive, it seems best that not only the same three people attend IMHO. :D
Step 1: I can't
Step 2: He can
Step 3: I think I'll let him
Lali
Forums Old Timer

Postby ann2 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:15 am

For me, the purpose of a group is twofold. To maintain sobriety and to pass on the message of recovery. Can't do the first without the 2nd, can't do the second without the first. To pass it on we need newcomers. End of story.

Ann
"If I don't take twenty walks, Billy Beane send me to Mexico" -- Miguel Tejada
ann2
Forums Old Timer

Return to The Home Group