Other drugs at meetings...

Is the concept of a Home Group dying? What is a Home Group anyway? Talk about it here.

Re: Other drugs at meetings...

Postby group » Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:47 am

Last night several new comes were welcomed to AA meeting for their first time at our group and the meeting went wonderfully. Of course we had one person who needed to raise his hand and announce if you are an addict only you are welcome at this meeting, sad because it was a closed meeting. At the end of the meeting I had a conversation with that person and he told me I am old school and need to change with the times. So I explained how several meeting have been lost to the way he is thinking because addicts have taken over the meeting and it is no longer an AA meeting. He walked away in a huff. I wish people who are alcohols sobriety and addicts clean. :(
group
Forums Newcomer

Postby Brock » Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:57 am

Hi there group and welcome to e-AA. I have noticed that since your first post on this subject nobody has replied; please don’t think we are a rude bunch here, or that we are not aware of the possible problem that people with other addictions attending our meetings can cause. What I think has happened is that this is a subject that comes up all the time, the last time it went on for three pages, the last post was just two days ago, you can find it by clicking here --- viewtopic.php?f=36&t=16070

So you see when you add something like you have done to a thread from 2012, on a subject that is very common for us here, you may not get any replies. Please feel free to comment on any other subject we are discussing, or even start a new subject of your own. Best of luck to you.

PS. By reading what folks have said on this subject, I think you will find that the majority do not mind people attending the meetings who are addicted to alcohol and drugs, but like you most of us feel the subject in the meetings is alcohol, and if you don’t have a problem with alcohol you should keep your mouth shut. But by and large most folks will say this is a subject for each individual group, if a group chooses to allow non alcoholics to speak especially at a closed meeting, there is nothing we can do but except it or find another group.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby group » Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:26 am

Brock,
Thank you for your response and I really do enjoy the people in the fellowship, but I was completely floored when my friend of twenty five years was torn apart because he shared what were his along with AA as a whole about addicts only at a closed AA meeting.
Don’t worry I will not sending any more views after this. I discussed it with a good friend in the fellowship of AA and have decided to take a break from the AA. I just cannot relate to people placing needles in their arms or stealing from there own family to buy drugs. In fact I really thought I had walked into the wrong meeting when all everybody was doing was sharing about drugs and attacking the speaker. If people wont to coddle the addict go right ahead. It's a very sad day for AA when things like this continue and nobody does anything about it.
group
Forums Newcomer

Postby kenyal » Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:18 am

"Don’t worry I will not sending any more views after this."

Just wanted to say your general take on this is supported by many and there's no need to stop participating here just because you'll not get 100% agreement from every individual. If you do stop attending meetings, then your continued participation here-or somewhere online-makes sense for a number of reasons.
kenyal
Forums Long Timer

Postby group » Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:25 am

I will, thank you.
group
Forums Newcomer

Postby desypete » Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:59 am

i have no idea what its like to take drugs, what is the difference between taking a drug up the nose or injecting it ? why do they use a pipe ? why do they use silver paper ?

i am an alchohilc if i take one drink it starts a craving inside of me that leads me on to want more and more, it does not lead me on to take other drugs, it does not make me want to try a different way of getting high, i just get hammered drunk and then do shameful things or hurt loved ones

if i was a new comer coming into the rooms of aa and there was nothng being talked about other than how people inject stuff or snort it etc then where would it leave me ? how would if get id with people ?

i wouldn't and that is why aa has to be for alcoholics and alcoholics only if i dont get identification in aa then i will never get id anywhere in the world so i would be doomed to carry on drinking all the way down

why it is so hard for people to understand the difference ?
dual addicts i dont identify with as they take drunks to help them control there drinking and take drink to help them control there drug use ???? whats that all about ? i have no idea

so you can see if aa meeting were just full of drug talk then the alcoholic would have no where else to go, i dare say there will be a new fellowship started if there isn't one already called dual addicts anon, and that would be the best way forward for all concerned but for some reason aa is seen badly as it wants to protect itself or seen as being heartless when its nothing of the sort its very survival for the new comers yet to come to aa is what its all about

durg addicts have na fellowship where they will be with people just like them who understand what its like taking drugs and all that goes with it so there is no excuse for them trying to change aa to how they think it should be. can you imagine a group of over eatters going into an na meeting and just talking about food and there problem eating ?

there would be no id given out for anyone who is a drug user so surely the drug users would want to make sure it never happened and keep there fellowship intact ?

so on this issue i am very much in favor of just alcoholic shares at aa meetings.
desypete
Forums Contributor

Postby group » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:16 am

I wish to thank everybody who has responded to my first topic on drugs at an AA meeting. In my home group I was beginning to think that was alone in my feelings. I wish to express I have no problem with people sharing that they are dual addicted but think it gets out of hand when all they share about is drugs at a meeting.
Desypete brought up something I have shared for many years that alcohol never led me to drugs so it’s hard to understand why people share that the drugs helped them to drink more. I never needed anything help to drink more. In fact when I would wake up on the bed or the floor I knew I had filled that huge hole inside of me from the night before.
Something else I wish to get of my chest a few years ago while my wife was at my twenty third anniversary and it was an open meeting two people came over to me afterwards and asked if my wife belonged because she wasn’t an alcoholic. One was an alcoholic the other an addict. Wow that really drove me nuts because my wife who has no addictions didn’t belong at an open meeting.
On last thought on this, several people brought up at the meeting that doctor Bob and Bill W had other addictions and although that is true it is not in the preamble or traditions as a requirement for AA. Thank God for that!
:idea:
group
Forums Newcomer

Postby porcupine » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:17 am

This has been a challenge for me, as I've taken the stance of my sobriety being 'any mood or mind altering chemicals'.. I was able to stay off the alcohol immediately after my first meeting with my higher powers guidance, but other drugs such as painkillers I have battled with.
It causes some people to get quizzical when I talk about my sobriety in the months, even though I haven't had any alcohol for nearly a year. I don't really know of a better way to handle it though, because being honest with myself I'm absolutely not sober if I'm mixing and matching and taking the easier softer way, even when what I'm busting on belongs in a different fellowship.
My ego also wants me to take the soft approach and keep my sobriety date with just the alcohol, but that's all about me putting on a facade and not being honest which is what really got me into the program to begin with.
porcupine
Forums Enthusiast

Postby positrac » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:51 am

porcupine wrote:This has been a challenge for me, as I've taken the stance of my sobriety being 'any mood or mind altering chemicals'.. I was able to stay off the alcohol immediately after my first meeting with my higher powers guidance, but other drugs such as painkillers I have battled with.
It causes some people to get quizzical when I talk about my sobriety in the months, even though I haven't had any alcohol for nearly a year. I don't really know of a better way to handle it though, because being honest with myself I'm absolutely not sober if I'm mixing and matching and taking the easier softer way, even when what I'm busting on belongs in a different fellowship.
My ego also wants me to take the soft approach and keep my sobriety date with just the alcohol, but that's all about me putting on a facade and not being honest which is what really got me into the program to begin with.

Good you are being honest regarding this situation you are faced with. All I know is I am weak when it comes to addictive things in this life. I have to be quite mindful of pain medications and even over the counter things because I fear addiction. I haven't drank in ages and yet I am not cured and never have claimed it either.

I go to the doctor and I make it clear of my condition and that I don't need some mind-altering and or addictive pill if that is the only answer, as I will go without and just suffer and deal with my pain issues in my back. One day I might be up against the wall and I'' cross that when I get there. I do this one day at a time and no more because I might not have anymore tomorrows. I am per cancerous and so my life is never very stable with this condition. Look you can beat this habit and mind set and yes it is hard. But it can be overcome and you have the first step to start the process.
You must live your life from beginning to end: No one else can do it for you.
Hopi Proverb
positrac
Forums Old Timer

Postby avaneesh912 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:04 am

but other drugs such as painkillers I have battled with.

Have you asked around the fellowship? People may point in to other meetings/fellowship where you may run into folks who have overcome this problem. Like one of the members I worked work had severe issues around outside issues. Everytime he went on a office trip he used to get real anxious because thats when other desires came up. He found support in other sister fellowship and find a solution.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby michmjon » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:53 pm

We get quite a few NAer's attending meetings in my neck of the woods. An addiction is an addiction and any addiction can be addressed by following the twelve steps. Even smoking. If someone has a story that they can relate about quitting smoking, maybe there's something in that story that I can draw off of to help me continue on my path of recovery from alcoholism.
michmjon
Forums Enthusiast

Postby SoberInMI » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:18 am

I know that this is an old thread, but it hits home.

I agree with AA's "singleness of purpose" and have posted such elsewhere in more detail. As a "pure" alcoholic I can't identify with drug behavior. I have heard people say that a 12 step meeting is a 12 step meeting, so go to Gambling, Overeaters. or Sex Anonymous and talk about your drug addiction and see how far you get.

Personally, I have no problem with brief excursions into other problems, all of us come in with A LOT of baggage. We don't go AA needing a "tweak", but rather a "major overhaul." So I think it is helpful for the person sharing to briefly get another issue off their chest and that it is at least helpful to the newcomer to see that alcoholics have lots of problems some of which they may be able to identify with other than alcoholism it self.
SoberInMI
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Layne » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:33 am

"pure" alcoholic

Must admit, that phrase is a new one on me.
Layne
Forums Old Timer

Postby SoberInMI » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:45 am

Layne wrote:
"pure" alcoholic

Must admit, that phrase is a new one on me.

I have heard no other use the term. A few have said that most newcomers come in with both alcohol and drug addictions, dual or cross-addictions if you will. I believe most are claiming to be dually or cross addicted, and I know at least one who vaguely says he "qualifies", in order to cross over to AA, not that they are actually alcoholics, these people wont use the term "alcoholic" in reference to themselves and won't talk about anything other than drugs. So I am indicating that I have no other addictions other than alcohol.
SoberInMI
Forums Enthusiast

Postby D'oh » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:24 am

I didn't start to start to smoke until I quit drinking. The meeting rooms were smoke filled at that time. I figured "What the neck" Not sure why now?

I haven't been arrested for smoking, or a fight or lost a job, yet. Goes right back to "Alcoholic vs Heavy Drinker" for me. The difference is "The Cig. doesn't control me, and when I smoke, I don't get into trouble"

I know it is My Will, but hey Tabaco is made by Him. I know "Lame"
D'oh
Forums Long Timer

PreviousNext

Return to The Home Group