Who should I choose as my sponsor?

Most of us who recovered with AA's program did so with the help of a "sponsor". But what is sponsorship? How do I get one? Who can be a sponsor? What makes a good sponsor?
IsaacAsimov
Forums Enthusiast

Who should I choose as my sponsor?

Post by IsaacAsimov » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:54 am

I have two choices. I have my girlfriend and my mom. On one hand, my mom is also a recovering alcoholic, but she often relapses, so I don't know if she would really be a reliable choice. On the other hand, my girlfriend is my girlfriend, which means she may or may not be a permanent factor in my life.

Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Re: Who should I choose as my sponsor?

Post by Tosh » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:10 am

Neither, find a Big Book guy and ask him to be your sponsor.
Come, come, whoever you are. Wanderer, worshiper, lover of leaving. It doesn't matter. Ours is not a caravan of despair. Come, even if you have broken your vows a thousand times. Come, yet again, come, come.” Rumi (No sniggering from the sex addicts)

leejosepho
Forums Old Timer

Post by leejosepho » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:57 am

=========================
Sponsor, n. (Webster, 1869)
A surety; one who binds himself to answer for another, and is responsible for his default.
=========================

Like Tosh has suggested, I would look for a recovered alcoholic who can assure you of experienced help in doing what is in our book.
=======================
"We A.A.s do not *stay* away from drinking [one day at a
time] -- we *grow* away from drinking [one day at a time]."
("Lois Remembers", page 168, quoting Bill, emphasis added)
=======================

Karl R
Forums Old Timer

Post by Karl R » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:03 am

One who might remain unaffected by anything you might possibly share with them.

K

PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Post by PaigeB » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:34 pm

I have found it necessary that my sponsor has no investment in me other than my alcoholism.
Step 6 is "AA's way of stating, the best possible attitude one can take in order to make a beginning on this lifetime job... with most of them we shall have to be content with patient improvement." 12&12 Step Six, p.65

happycamper
Forums Long Timer

Post by happycamper » Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:11 pm

Who should you choose as a sponsor?

Someone in the program/fellowship, same sex, a decent amount of sobriety and has worked the steps and experienced that all important spiritual awakening.

this person should be someone that has something that you are attracted to... and that 'something' should be a stable, sober, responsible attitude.

You will most likely find this person at an AA meeting after you have attended a few yourself and listened to the other members share.
Faith without works is dead